Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Player Ratings vs Stoke City

Douglas 7 - Didn't really have much to do, but collected a number of crosses well.

Maybury 6 - I think he got caught out a little too much by their left winger, who wasn't a bad player to be fair. Maybury was perhaps tucked in too close with the centre backs, which provided his opposite player with time and space. He didn't really get forward that much either and tended to stay back instead of bombing forward like he usually does.

McCarthy 5 - Started off shockingly and didn't improve that much - He couldn't handle Sidibe for much of the first half and struggled at times in the second period. I'm concerned with his excessive man handling of players, it's far too blatant! I could see him conceding a penalty the way he was going about his business.

Johansson 7 - He was solid enough and won plenty in the air and on the ground.

Gilbert 6 - I thought he was fairly average throughout. Got forward more than his opposite full back Maybury, but we perhaps didn't see enough service in to the box. Seemed to get caught out a little in the second half.

Sylla 7 - Quick and pacey, and caused Stoke a number of problems in the first half with his unpredictability. Faded in the second half, which looked down to tiredness.

Williams 8 - He showed some fantastic ability in the centre of midfield, it's just a shame he can't produce for the full 90 minutes. What a run and pass for Connolly’s second goal.

Gudjonsson 8 - Looked a lot more consistent with his passing and doesn't concede as many needless fouls now. He broke up the play and linked up well with Williams.

Wilcox 6 - Put some good balls in, but he is slow and isn't the answer to our left sided problem.

Connolly 9 - Excellent finishing and brilliant all round play. He's already got 4 goals for this season - To put it in to perspective, Connolly scored just 3 by Christmas last season.

de Vries 8 - Man of the Match by a mile in the first half. Sublime first touch and hold up play and a thumping finish to boot. Tired in the second half, but he was always a danger.

Sub:

Hammond 7 - Provided a like for like replacement for Sylla in terms of Pace and work rate. Almost scored too. Seems a useful sub to have.

Douglas 7 - Didn't really have much to do, but collected a number of crosses well.

Maybury 6 - I think he got caught out a little too much by their left winger, who wasn't a bad player to be fair. Maybury was perhaps tucked in too close with the centre backs, which provided his opposite player with time and space. He didn't really get forward that much either and tended to stay back instead of bombing forward like he usually does.

McCarthy 5 - Started off shockingly and didn't improve that much - He couldn't handle Sidibe for much of the first half and struggled at times in the second period. I'm concerned with his excessive man handling of players, it's far too blatant! I could see him conceding a penalty the way he was going about his business.

Johansson 7 - He was solid enough and won plenty in the air and on the ground.

Gilbert 6 - I thought he was fairly average throughout. Got forward more than his opposite full back Maybury, but we perhaps didn't see enough service in to the box. Seemed to get caught out a little in the second half.

Sylla 7 - Quick and pacey, and caused Stoke a number of problems in the first half with his unpredictability. Faded in the second half, which looked down to tiredness.

Williams 8 - He showed some fantastic ability in the centre of midfield, it's just a shame he can't produce for the full 90 minutes. What a run and pass for Connolly’s second goal.

Gudjonsson 8 - Looked a lot more consistent with his passing and doesn't concede as many needless fouls now. He broke up the play and linked up well with Williams.

Wilcox 6 - Put some good balls in, but he is slow and isn't the answer to our left sided problem.

Connolly 9 - Excellent finishing and brilliant all round play. He's already got 4 goals for this season - To put it in to perspective, Connolly scored  just 3 by Christmas last season.

de Vries 8 - Man of the Match by a mile in the first half. Sublime first touch and hold up play and a thumping finish to boot. Tired in the second half, but he was always a danger.

Sub:

Hammond 7 - Provided a like for like replacement for Sylla in terms of Pace and work rate. Almost scored too. Seems a useful sub to have.

153848[/snapback]

Can't disagree with these ratings one bit! :cool:

great game, great atmosphere. See, I was right , some attacking football, few goals here and there..and the crowd will definitely get going!! I feel so sumg.

Anyway, the player ratings were spot on. I thought Gilbert n Wilcox were skinned too often with too many attcaks from Stoke coming on their side. They both lack pace (esp Wilcox!) which means a dodgy right winger who's nippy will most of the time look brilliant. I think they do need some games first to let them gain some sort of undertstanding, but with Hughes hopefully back soon this issue *should* be resolved.

Joeys top performanecs in the last 2 games begs the question...where is Mr Kisnorbo going to slot in? If at all...???

Tope performance, top goals, top atmosphere, top pavarotti impersonater...all in all a brilliant night. Not too sure if its worth 22 squids though!!!!

Douglas- 6 Collected all the crosses well, and didn't have a great deal to do.

Maybury- 7 got us fired up after we conceded the 1st. Distrubution and work rate good.

Gilbert- 7 impressive tackling, would have like to see him bomb down the wing a bit more.

Johansson- 6 steady, did win enough in the air for my liking.

McCarthy- 6 after an awful start played allright.

Wilcox- 4 crossing was awful! :mad:

Sylla- 5 not his best game started brightly but faded

Gudjonsson-7 good first half and last 20 lost it though in the time when stoke scores.

Williams- 7 didn't realise he was on the pitch in the first half, but played really well last 20. didn't see this chasing player levein's talking about.

De Vries- 8 much better from Marc, good finish and held the ball up well all night.

Connolly- 9 three chances- three goals. was creative as well. best performance in a city shirt

Hammond- 8 had a real impact on the game. quick and lively will be a useful sub to have.

Douglas - 7 - Much better and more solid from the Scottish man

Maybury - 5.5 - Has he come back from pre-season. His form is short of last season, especially after I had called him the best right-back in the league. Probably rated him harshly because he is capable of more.

McCarthy - 5.5 - Will be a good defender but too rash at times and occasionally gets wrong side of attackers. Think he is needs a vocal experienced player alongside.

Johansson - 7 - Nice to see a centre-back with a good range of passing.

Gilbert - 6 - Did well and got involved.

Sylla - 6 - Not the best night in my opinion for him. Drifted in and out of the game. Showed glimpses of what he is capable of. Didn't provide Maybury with the support he needed, thus contributing to Maybury's bad performance.

Gudjonsson - 7 - Superb in the first half, but started to fade in the second (not surprised, he worked tirelessly). I think it was no surprise that Stoke got more involved in the game as Gudjonsson faded. Has improved considerably on last season

Williams - 8 - Another good performance. He really does remind me of Gary Parker. Keeps the passing going and plays some good balls (e.g. Connolly's 2nd)

Wilcox - 6 - Did ok. He is a decent left-winger in this league. Good cross for De Vries's goal, but equally, he is capable of bad crosses (e.g. mid-way through second-half when we had a good break).

Connolly - 9 - Great finishes for his hat-trick. Took all three goals excellently

De Vries - 9 - My man of the match. All the best moves came through him. Had the beating of Duberry. Strong, good touch. More of these performances please.

Overall - Great going forward. With Hughes back, we will be a great attacking force. My only concern is still the defending on set-pieces, where we always look vulnerable on the far post.

Leicester fans -6, bunch of Leicester City representatives

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

153819[/snapback]

You know, I did feel as though when we had the control, passing the ball around to wind the time down, the crowd were getting too impatient with them and putting pressure on the players to knock it forward. When that happened of course we gave it away. Let them pass it God dammit!

Douglas 7 - Alot better than saturday and is a good shot stopper, but looks to be lacking in confidence. If we can tighten our defence and he can keep focused, we'll be fine.

Maybury 6 - Not Maybury's best game, but we all know how good he is. Stearman played well last saturday, but it's hard to drop Maybury in my opinion and he's wasted on the left.

McCarthy 6 - Still appears to be making his usual mistakes and it's down to Levein to stamp these out of him. These mistakes are nothing to do with ability, he's got loads of that. It's his temper and focus that need to be addressed, always makes some good defensive clearances though.

Nils 7 - Steady again.

Gilbert 7 - I personally thought Gilbert looked quite good. It doesn't help when you have Wilcox infront of you, there's no pace to help out what-so-ever. I think when Tiatto's back and Gilbert settles in he'll be a good player.

Sylla 7 - Quality at times, I love his unpredictability. Wouldn't worry too much about his long range shooting, he scored some cracking goals for St.Johnstone and Celtic from 25+ yards. Him and Elvis will change games for us, so pleased we've got some pace in the team now.

Williams 9 - Amazing. One of this days where he turned up and he bossed the midfield. I have always backed him and always will because technically he's a proper footballer. What fans need to realise is, yes he has his faults which are he often goes missing in games but if he didn't and he was constant all game he'd be a £5 million player and he wouldn't be ours. Again, this is a fault he has that isn't to do with ability, there's room for improvement and he's potential premiership class. Sublime passing at times.

Gudjonsson 8 - So pleased for Joey to finally put in two consistent performances, he's raising his game at the right time. It will be great when we have all our central midfielders back, no room for complacency. Battled well and isn't scared to have a crack.

Wilcox 7 - I thought he looked quite decent, good cross for de Vries's goal and battled well all game. His experience will be valuable this season.

De Vries 9 - Nice one bruvvvaaaaaaaa!!! He looked a footballer last night and you could tell he was enjoying it and looked relaxed and confident. If we play to his strengths I think he'll do well, he loves the ball at his feet and Connolly will benefit from this.

Connolly 10* - Speechless. As I said the other day, he's our best player. He's raised the stakes this season, you can tell he means business. A Confident and ruthless Connolly = one of the best strikers in this league by a country mile. 3 fantastic finishes, which would have taken 15 shots on goal for him to do last season. Quality always comes through, it's taken it's time but it's here now. Let's rejoice. Connolly's on fire.

Elvis 8 - Did you see that? There's a player with a VR6 on strapped to him. Pace? This boy puts the P in pace ace. Really unlucky not to score and will be crucial to us over the season.

Douglas - 7 - Had a better game and took a couple of catches to improve his confidence but im still not convinced.

Maybury - 7 - Another good performance, needs to be more alert though as was caught out a few times last night.

McCarthy - 6 - He needs to control his temper and think about things but hes only a youngun so hopefully he will improve that with time, got caught ball watching a few times.

Johansson - 6 - Had a good game, kept us together, I think he will improve the more he plays.

Gilbert - 6 - Hardly noticed him tbh

Sylla - 8 - Loving him, hes zippy, nippy and going to be a City legend :D

Gudjonsson - 6 - Still unsure why hes still here, he was ok last night nothing special though :unsure:

Williams - 8 - The first 20 mins he was awful but gradually came into the game and did some entertaining stuff, Gareth is great but goes missing sometimes in games and its a shame because he could be a great player.

Wilcox - 6 - Better than Saturday but not great, the only entertainment I got from him today was when Paddy had a 'paddy' at him lol

Connolly - 9 - Had a cracking game, scored at important times, deserved his hattrick - keep it up buddy!

de Vries - 10 - I nearly fell off me chair he was that good, what happened Marc? you are supposed to be shite! Ill be the first to admit that you certainly proved me wrong last night and im so very pleased! Keep it up love! :thumbup:

Subs:

Elvis - 7 - Did as well as he could in the short time he had, would like to see what he can do in a full game.

Man of the Match - Marc De Vries - ok Conners got a hattrick but Marcs work rate and attitude did it for me!

we all saw what happens on saturday what happens when you needlessly piss about with the back 4  :ph34r:

153851[/snapback]

Yeah, and we didnt do that last night and they scored 2 with 10men.

Macarthy was once again at blame for a goal. At the moment he seems to struggle defending a cross around the 6 yard box. Im sure the former Cb levein will guide him.

I think city are becoming the `keegan - newcastle` of the championship, 2 games 11 goals. I cant see less than 3 goals either way V ipswich.

You know, I did feel as though when we had the control, passing the ball around to wind the time down, the crowd were getting too impatient with them and putting pressure on the players to knock it forward. When that happened of course we gave it away. Let them pass it God dammit!

153925[/snapback]

SECONDED!!

Afterall, they cant score without the ball.

On the player-ratings site, you are spelling MDV name wrong! Its Mark not Marc  :P

I also think that Elvis should have been included as i thought that he did well when he came on.

153807[/snapback]

I've never been sure about De Vries, I've seen it spelt both ways, the reason I tend to put Marc is that was what I first saw it as and it stuck, but the official site uses Mark and it looks better so I'll go for that and hope its right ;)

Elvis wasn't on for long enough and I can't just include him because he played well, which is a matter of opinion anyway (I agree tho). If I include a player just because he played well for 15 mins, why then shouldn't I include a player because he came on and did nothing for 15 mins?

I think city are becoming the `keegan - newcastle` of the championship, 2 games 11 goals. I cant see less than 3 goals either way V ipswich.

153973[/snapback]

0-0 then. :ph34r:

Douglas 7 Handling better but still worrying

Maybury 7 Solid

Gilbert 6 Good in the tackle but lacked confidence in running the line to create attacking options

Johnasson 7 Okay

McCarthy 6 Did better 2nd half but found Sidibe a handful and conceded many fouls

Sylla 6 Glimpes of brilliance but faded early

Williams 7 Worked hard and showed class

Gudj 8 Covered every blade of grass at least twice

Wilcox 2 Dreadful. Old. Get rid

Connolly 9 Sharpest Ive seen him since joining

De Vries 8 Took goal well and hold up play was good

--------------

Hammond 7 Did well on the limited time on field

Controversial but here goes

Douglas 6 Some good came out of the weekend, still let in 2 goals.

Maybury 4 Not one of his best games in a blue shirt

Gilbert 4 Hes got to do better, no doubt he will but got skinned every time

Johansson 6 Solid, becoming a favorite for his no nonsense work, bit like walshy

McCarthy 5 Liability, good defender, booked twice in a row, the'll all add up and well this could be a problem

Sylla 6 Stop showboating and keep it simple. missed a sitter that he would have scored if he KEPT IT SIMPLE

Wilcox 6 excellent crossing and a better game from him

Gudjonsson 8 One of his best games and a craking shot that nearly ended ina goal

Willliams 9 Genius, pulled the strings last night, world class performance

Connolly 10 should have got 2 more! but perfect anyway

De Vries 8 good lad, didnt do a thing wrong, nearly scored with his head too!!

Elvis 7 something a little different and a good sub to have, maybe a little poor first touch but a 120%er which we all like.

Craig Lev 7 slow at noticing problem areas (defence) stoke forwards were a handfull......but roused the crowd

The Crowd. 7 much better and went home smiling after being the 12th man very vocal for a change

LCFC 7 new music, passion, henry in just one slot, different entertainment.

ANDY from longeaton - always a 0 nought zero...... bet hes spitting feathers ...twat! :o

Douglas - 6 - he looked ok in the first half, nothing special but he caught some crosses well. In the second half his positioning was off for both goals and I hold him to account somewhat. His passion seems to be there (celebrating goals, clapping the crowd, going over to kiss someone at the end of the match - no idea what that was about!) but I’m not sure he has the talent, or age on his side. He’s just that little bit slow to everything and I’m not sure if he communicates with his defence very well. Perhaps he’ll get better, I’m still willing to give him a chance, but as it stands I can’t see us keeping many clean sheets this season.

Maybury - 6 - I was disappointed with Maybury on Tuesday, considering how good he was at the end of last season I thought he not only had a quiet game but seemed completely worn out in the 2nd half and left Elvis to run most of the right side of the pitch, despite us having an extra man anyway. Perhaps he didn’t get enough protection from the other players but generally I thought his game was off, I can’t remember him getting up the pitch to attack much either. Perhaps being captain distracts him rather than giving him confidence.

McCarthy - 7 - still grappling with defenders and getting his usual yellow card, but he seemed to be the only player winning headers in the box (both boxes) most of the time and as usual his passion is there if still a bit raw.

Johansson - 7 - bit of a quiet game again I thought, can pass it about and seems to have a cool head but got shouted at by the crowd too much causing him to hoof it up-field a bit too much. I’ve seen him play a few times now and I’m still not sure what his strengths really are, I’m sure he must be doing something as otherwise we’d let in a lot more goals but as it is he goes about his work quietly.

Gilbert - 6 - seemed quite nervous, did some simple things well but didn’t seem to want to move past the half-way line and I can’t remember him putting in a good cross, most of the time he’d just pass it to someone else. It’s hard to judge him considering he’s not fit, I’ll need to look at him a few more times before I decide whether I like him or not...

Sylla - 6 - also had a quiet game I thought, had that good chance in the 2nd half which I can’t believe he missed but otherwise did seem a bit lethargic, I don’t know when he got injured but he didn’t seem like the same player that played against Sheffield Utd.

Williams - 7 - still the drifting in-and-out of games that we’ve come to expect from Gareth, but I’m pleased to say that this season he seems more in than out. My only criticism would still be his lack of willingness to put in tackles, I hardly ever see him trying to win the ball, rather just chasing after the player with it half-heartedly or poking at it with his toe nervously. He is showing more of those flashes of class though and if he can put through more good balls like the one he did for Connolly even I might start liking him.

Gudjonsson - 8 - had a shot in the first half that went closer than usual but he went down a bit easily when he was kicked in that red-card offence, he seems much sharper than he did last season, and seemed happy to run from one box to the other, faded a bit towards the end of the 2nd half though, and its easy to see why Levein commented afterwards that he’d have liked to have changed the midfield at that point if he had any available players.

Wilcox - 7 - good cross for the first goal, he still isn’t the quickest and does tire towards the end of the match but he’s certainly looking a better player than he did last season (especially better than when he was forced to play LB).

Connolly - 10 - what a fantastic player he is, I said in my ratings for Sheff U that I was finally starting to warm on him and now I’m definitely all thawed out. He was a bit quiet in the first half, not anonymous like some players can be, but just quietly working away. Flicked on a good ball for De Vries to head over, probably should have had a penalty as well. In the second half though, he was a amazing, each one of his goals was good to look at, but the second is clearly the best, the confidence and cool head that we didn’t see on Connolly last season. Last season one if not all of those chances would have probably his the bar or the post or the ‘keepers legs, but not now! And as Levein has said, he’s not even fit yet! I hope he can keep it up... but then again if he does he’ll be gone by the start of next season.

De Vries - 8 - What an improvement on last season, he still had a couple of moments (taking one too many touches, missing a header or two) but overall he’s so much better than he was. Great opening goal and his build-up play and holding the ball up was great at times. Still had people in the crowd on his back, but if he continues performing it’ll all turn around soon enough.

Subs:

Hammond - 8 - Time for me to eat my words? Possibly. I wasn’t expecting much from this guy when he came here, but for the 20 minutes he was on the pitch he impressed me quite a bit. He’s certainly got pace and seemed very eager to prove himself, he’s also willing to tackle back and seemed to be the only player on the right towards the end of the game. Great player to bring on with only 20-minutes or so to go to change the game and give us something different.

Archived