Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
C-man

FA considers 2018 World Cup bid

FA considers 2018 World Cup bid

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick says that England may bid to host the 2018 World Cup after the success of the 2012 Olympics campaign.

He said: "It's right and proper for the London Olympics bid to take precedence but why wouldn't we go for it?

"I think we would bid further down the line. The next time that it should come to Europe is probably 2018 and we have got enough time to get organised."

The FA, who missed out in the 2006 bid, have yet to make any firm decisions.

Next summer's World Cup will be staged in Germany and is not expected to return to Europe for another 12 years.

England hosted the World Cup in 1966 - when the home nation won the tournament - and also staged Euro 96.

But their efforts to host the 2006 World Cup ended in failure, with the English FA accused of breaking an agreement to support Germany after they backed England's Euro 96 campaign.

Barwick, meanwhile, is hopeful that England will win next summer's World Cup.

"I see 2006 as a big year for the Football Association. Hopefully we will qualify for the World Cup and give it a real go," he said.

"If and when we qualify, we would go into the World Cup as one of the teams that can win it. It's in the right climate and the right time-zone.

"We have a very good team and are making impressions on European club football too.

"I think we've made progress as an international footballing nation and can be expected to do well. This country will come to a halt if we do."

not forgetting the walkers....

lol

157268[/snapback]

We will have a 55,000 capacity stadium by them because we will be in the Champions League or equivilent and winning the league season after season.

the walkers stadium would definateley host some games you no. Like ones which no-one in this country is that bothered and team which wont have massive away followings such as slovenia v bulgaria or something. Unless in 13 years time theres a new technology in stadiums which we havent got such as plasma screens installed in the seats in front. imagine that :Dlol

I would have thought the fact London has the olympics in 2012 means its unlikely England or the UK will host any global sporting events too soon before or after 2012.

157428[/snapback]

If we could prove we could hold a succesful Olympics that would give us a better chance of holding future events.

Also it says somewhere Germany and America have held the two close to each other, like USA 94 World Cup and Atlanta 96 Olympics.

We should definately bid and definately win, because we are English.

If we could prove we could hold a succesful Olympics that would give us a better chance of holding future events.

Also it says somewhere Germany and America have held the two close to each other, like USA 94 World Cup and Atlanta 96 Olympics.

We should definately bid and definately win, because we are English.

157541[/snapback]

YEAH I AGREE :scarf::scarf:

We should definitely have a chance of hosting it, next time it comes to Europe.

But FIFA have a policy of rotating around the continents, so it may be a while yet. Perhaps not as early as 2018... :(

I doubt it.

After China have hosted the 2008 Olympics, the World Cup will be the next event on their list.

And big business, with an eager eye on the Chinese market, will be delighted to comply...

I doubt it.

After China have hosted the 2008 Olympics, the World Cup will be the next event on their list.

And big business, with an eager eye on the Chinese market, will be delighted to comply...

No, Europe WILL host the 2018 WC.

MARK... MY... WORDS.

Besides, it's a known fact and it's stupid to argue with it.

Archived