Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Did Pearson Get It Wrong?

On Saturday yes, I think he did. Just a strange set up and playing Albrighton from the start when her wasn't good enough for a spot on the bench two weeks earlier. :o

For the Palace game he had to go with the team that beat United and for whatever reason, Warnock saw it coming, out muscled, we didn't turn up etc it didn't work. Burnley and the blame lies with the team on the pitch, we should have seen them off with the quality we had out there, add in a dodgy performance from Schmeicel and they just didn't deliver.

I'm not his biggest fan, and at times I question his choices, but Saturday was the only time this season where he has seemed to have got it totally wrong.

We move on.

The player that has cost us four points in that last two games

Ridiculous statement. You could say that for any number of players. Why focus on his defensive mistakes when you pick on Ulloa for missing chances? We'd probably have got something more from each of the last three games if one player had done something different at the time, but that applies to several players, not just one.

Pearson got the game plan spot on against Chelsea. You have to realise that, when playing against a superior team, it isn't going to go for you every time.

Totally agree re it won't go for you all the time. But stand by the opinion that as we lost, i have to conclude he got his tactics wrong. It really is that simple. Nothing for 'a good effort' I'm afraid.

Totally agree re it won't go for you all the time. But stand by the opinion that as we lost, i have to conclude he got his tactics wrong. It really is that simple. Nothing for 'a good effort' I'm afraid.

OK. So say Notts County lost 1-0 away at Barcelona - would it be simply because they chose the wrong tactics?

OK. So say Notts County lost 1-0 away at Barcelona - would it be simply because they chose the wrong tactics?

Strange argument. Are you suggesting that we are about 6 levels below the opposition we are playing against this season ? And, for what it's worth, yes! Clearly, they got their tactics wrong as they lost :) There would undoubtedly be issues around player quality, too. But a manager picks a team to get a result. Win or draw. If that team does not achieve that, then the tactics were ineffective. Player underperformance probably contributes, but tactics in the game can be adapted to compensate. Can't understand why this is causing push-back ? If you lose, you got it wrong. Learn and move on to the next opportunity to correct for the previous mistakes. At this moment in time, I'm confident we will.

Strange argument. Are you suggesting that we are about 6 levels below the opposition we are playing against this season ? And, for what it's worth, yes! Clearly, they got their tactics wrong as they lost :)There would undoubtedly be issues around player quality, too. But a manager picks a team to get a result. Win or draw. If that team does not achieve that, then the tactics were ineffective. Player underperformance probably contributes, but tactics in the game can be adapted to compensate. Can't understand why this is causing push-back ? If you lose, you got it wrong. Learn and move on to the next opportunity to correct for the previous mistakes. At this moment in time, I'm confident we will.

Well it's your own argument you're calling strange. Notts losing at Barcelona due to poor tactics!!

I don't think you understand what tactics are. Picking a team isn't "tactics".

OK let's use another example. Is it the same in other sports too? If I played Rafal Nadal at tennis, would I beat him as long as I got my tactics right?: Play to his back-hand, advance on the second serve etc??

Anyway, yes, not sure why I'm giving "push back" on this... I should just let some things go! :)

Well it's your own argument you're calling strange. Notts losing at Barcelona due to poor tactics!!

OK let's use another example. Is it the same in other sports too? If I played Rafal Nadal at tennis, would I beat him as long as I got my tactics right?: Play to his back-hand, advance on the second serve etc??

Anyway, yes, not sure why I'm giving "push back" on this... I should just let some things go! :)

I don't believe he is saying that picking a team is tactics, full stop. I think he means that the first step is picking a team, to implement the manager's tactics.  :thumbup:   :unsure:  :unsure:

Yeah, me too - but I'm mildly enjoying being an outlier momentarily! So, with that in mind ...... I don't think I made any reference to team selection, (not sure why that has been brought in), BUT ....are you really suggesting that the team selection is nothing to do with tactics ? Really ? Are you really sure about that ??? You don't think a team is selected specifically to execute predetermined tactics??? Wow!

But I just can't fathom where I'm being controversial with my original point. Two teams play each other, regardless of the talent available to either manager, the sole aim is to bring about a desired outcome. If one team fails to do so then they have failed. In which case their tactics were unsuccessful. Ineffective. That may not be true in a friendly, where the result is not the only aim, but it is in a competitive situation. The only way I can comprehend a different perspective is ......... no. Actually I just can't think of one. Possibly, if you accept that a given team cannot be beaten and is invincible ?? But all teams lose. Eventually. Which means that anyone that lost previously employed the wrong tactics, as the team that beat them

has highlighted. Which absolutely includes player selection and preparation. Right. I surrender at that point as i'm probably boring the arse of anyone daft enough to be reading this ! Apologies one and all.

Archived