Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oldham Fan

The Late Ernie Cooksey

Some of you may have noticed yesterday in the visiting supporters' corner a flag adorned with the name of ‘Ernie Cooksey’.

The flag belongs to a group of Oldham Athletic fans, who had it made in memory of one of their former players, who died tragically in July 2008 at the age of 28. Ernie, who also played for Rochdale, Boston United and Grays Athletic, died less than a month before the birth of his only child, after contracting Malignant Melanoma, a severe form of skin cancer which is diagnosed in over 8,000 people in the UK each year.

We intend to take the flag to every Oldham game this season and a number of other events, including England away games, both in memory of a player who never gave less than 100%, and also to promote the fight against this cancer which can kill even the fittest of young people.

To find out more about Ernie, Malignant Melanoma and the account of my trip to Leicester yesterday, please visit:

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/

What is Ernieflag?

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php?...=8&Itemid=9

Ernie’s career at Oldham:

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php?...ie&Itemid=5

Ernie’s Funeral:

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php?...ie&Itemid=5

We would be grateful for your comments in the Guestbook section of the site.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Some of you may have noticed yesterday in the visiting supporters' corner a flag adorned with the name of ‘Ernie Cooksey’.

The flag belongs to a group of Oldham Athletic fans, who had it made in memory of one of their former players, who died tragically in July 2008 at the age of 28. Ernie, who also played for Rochdale, Boston United and Grays Athletic, died less than a month before the birth of his only child, after contracting Malignant Melanoma, a severe form of skin cancer which is diagnosed in over 8,000 people in the UK each year.

We intend to take the flag to every Oldham game this season and a number of other events, including England away games, both in memory of a player who never gave less than 100%, and also to promote the fight against this cancer which can kill even the fittest of young people.

To find out more about Ernie, Malignant Melanoma and the account of my trip to Leicester yesterday, please visit:

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/

We would be grateful for your comments in the Guestbook section of the site.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Great read and some great pictures in and around Leicester... I am sure there are some Leicester fans that don't know that much about their own City, I certainly didn't know the Jewery Wall was the second largest surviving piece of Roman civil masonry in the country. Great blog thank you. :thumbup:

Great read and some great pictures in and around Leicester... I am sure there are some Leicester fans that don't know that much about their own City, I certainly didn't know the Jewery Wall was the second largest surviving piece of Roman civil masonry in the country. Great blog thank you. :thumbup:

Thanks for your comment. It's often the case that familiarity with your surroundings breeds a sort of contempt. Leicester is a fine city.

Nice work, I really enjoyed reading that.

Just a a minor point, the post horn gallop has nothing to do with fox hunting but to do with, as it's name suggests the imminent arrival of the post.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Nice work, I really enjoyed reading that.

Just a a minor point, the post horn gallop has nothing to do with fox hunting but to do with, as it's name suggests the imminent arrival of the post.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Sorry for my ignorance - I should have put my brain in gear for that one. :blush:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry for my ignorance - I should have put my brain in gear for that one. :blush:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't be embarrassed half of our fans still think it's to do with Fox huntingicon6.gif

Leicester could not find a way through, even after manager Nigel Pearson changed things round by bringing on Gradel, Berner and Dickov for Gilbert, Dyer and Matlock respectively.

That needs changing, but part from that it's great!

:giggle: even i knew that

Is it true Oldham fan, that Oldham have gone downhill since the departure of Les Pogliacomi :D

The great Les holds the record for the number of clean sheets, so everything was bound to be downhill after that. :thumbup:

Now we've discovered Windass' hidden talent, he might want to stay with us long enough to break Les' record. :D

We had an Ausie and his name was Pogliacomi

Ohhh Pogliacomi!

Nice write up. All the best with the site and gathering support for your cause. :thumbup:

I particularly liked your comment on the Pride of Leicester pub. It's been like that for a few years now and needs the signage taking down, it's a disgrace! :angry:

This flag got stolen in Spain by some Spanish Thugs I have heard. Hopefully they will get it back.

This is true. The Flag was stolen whilst honouring Ernie at the Spain-England game in Seville last night.

The travelling fans were set-upon by 8 Spanish thugs whilst having their photographs taken in front of the stadium, after the game.

Thankfully no-one was seriously hurt during the attack, but sadly the flag was taken. :angry:

This is true. The Flag was stolen whilst honouring Ernie at the Spain-England game in Seville last night.

The travelling fans were set-upon by 8 Spanish thugs whilst having their photographs taken in front of the stadium, after the game.

Thankfully no-one was seriously hurt during the attack, but sadly the flag was taken. :angry:

Great write up on your trip to Leicester and sorry to hear about your flag :(

I'm not sure how they're going to get it back but they can always get another one.

A replacement Ernie Flag has been ordered and will be with us in Yeovil on the 21st.

The victim has a fractured jaw and has been tansferred from Oldham to a Manchester hospital.

Archived