Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

LCFC 1-2 Bristol City - 25th January 1992

Article I've written for my Merc blog tomorrow. Thought I'd post it on here as a one-off seeing as it won't be added til a few hours before kickoff and I don't get a chance to post much on here anymore.

--

As has been pointed out in the run-up to tonight’s clash with Bristol City, the visitors have not won a league game in Leicester since the midst of World War One. However, nearly 19 years ago, they knocked us out of the FA Cup in a fourth round tie played on an extremely muddy Filbert Street pitch thanks to their brilliant strike partnership of Junior Bent and Dariusz “Jackie” Dziekanowski.

As a seven-year-old, I’d seen quick players before. Ian Wright had made his Arsenal debut in a League Cup tie on our turf earlier that season but a young Julian Joachim was still eight months away from his City debut when the red half of Bristol arrived in January 1992.

That day, Bent showed exactly how important searing pace was to become in the modern game and gave us a taste of what was to come when Joachim exploded onto the scene the following year.

Things were looking up at City in January 1992. We had won an FA Cup tie for the first time in seven years and secured a home tie against opposition from the same league. We were on the way to our first play-off final under new manager Brian Little, but we would go no further in the most famous domestic cup competition in the world.

The visitors started brightly and took the lead when Dziekanowski won a loose ball on the halfway line and slid in Bent for the opener. They doubled their lead in the second half after a scarcely believable burst of pace from Bent which led to a looping header from his strike partner. Paul Kitson’s consolation could not save the home side from a deserved Cup exit.

Robins fans recently voted Dziekanowski as their all-time cult hero and John Motson described his performance that day as being “from another planet” but it was Bent who made the bigger impression on me without doubt.

There were other lightning-fast attackers that lit up Filbert Street over the years, the first that spring to mind being Marc Overmars during his Arsenal days and Jermaine Pennant in an England Under 21 match against Mexico. They didn't seem any quicker than Bent to me though.

Bent and Dziekanowski never made the most of the potential they showed that day but they remain Bristol City cult heroes for the way it all clicked on one highly memorable afternoon.

Article I've written for my Merc blog tomorrow. Thought I'd post it on here as a one-off seeing as it won't be added til a few hours before kickoff and I don't get a chance to post much on here anymore.

--

As has been pointed out in the run-up to tonight’s clash with Bristol City, the visitors have not won a league game in Leicester since the midst of World War One. However, nearly 19 years ago, they knocked us out of the FA Cup in a fourth round tie played on an extremely muddy Filbert Street pitch thanks to their brilliant strike partnership of Junior Bent and Dariusz “Jackie” Dziekanowski.

As a seven-year-old, I’d seen quick players before. Ian Wright had made his Arsenal debut in a League Cup tie on our turf earlier that season but a young Julian Joachim was still eight months away from his City debut when the red half of Bristol arrived in January 1992.

That day, Bent showed exactly how important searing pace was to become in the modern game and gave us a taste of what was to come when Joachim exploded onto the scene the following year.

Things were looking up at City in January 1992. We had won an FA Cup tie for the first time in seven years and secured a home tie against opposition from the same league. We were on the way to our first play-off final under new manager Brian Little, but we would go no further in the most famous domestic cup competition in the world.

The visitors started brightly and took the lead when Dziekanowski won a loose ball on the halfway line and slid in Bent for the opener. They doubled their lead in the second half after a scarcely believable burst of pace from Bent which led to a looping header from his strike partner. Paul Kitson’s consolation could not save the home side from a deserved Cup exit.

Robins fans recently voted Dziekanowski as their all-time cult hero and John Motson described his performance that day as being “from another planet” but it was Bent who made the bigger impression on me without doubt.

There were other lightning-fast attackers that lit up Filbert Street over the years, the first that spring to mind being Marc Overmars during his Arsenal days and Jermaine Pennant in an England Under 21 match against Mexico. They didn't seem any quicker than Bent to me though.

Bent and Dziekanowski never made the most of the potential they showed that day but they remain Bristol City cult heroes for the way it all clicked on one highly memorable afternoon.

I remember this game, Jack was quality, and Junior Bent was a class act on his day, what ever happened to him, he looked as if he had a bright future but I never heard of him after that day?

I remember this game, Jack was quality, and Junior Bent was a class act on his day, what ever happened to him, he looked as if he had a bright future but I never heard of him after that day?

From Wikipedia, it looks like he went to Blackpool for a few years and that was about it. I think it may have been his Zsolt Laczko performance.

Brings back so many memories watching that vid.

From Wikipedia, it looks like he went to Blackpool for a few years and that was about it. I think it may have been his Zsolt Laczko performance.

Brings back so many memories watching that vid.

Yeah my dislike of Leicester in the F.A Cup came from that days disappointment! <_<

Archived