Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

The Levein Effect

I don't like to compare Levein with Adams, as Adams did fantastically well in his promotion season with us and it's obvious that the job got too much for him in the end - I hope he does alright with Cov. Just a little disclaimer!

Now onto the important stuff, just reading everyone's opinions on the game yesterday fills me with optimism - look at all the votes for MOTM, either for McCarthy, Hughes or Stearman. McCarthy a player who Levein has picked up from Man City reserves (probably through the influence of Rob Kelly I would imagine?), Hughes a player of Premiership class really and a 17-year-old kid who doesn't look out of place in the first team. It's so refreshing to see players like this - all under the age of 24 - performing at their best for a Leicester side. Okay so this season's been a bit of a write-off as far as league position goes but I'd much rather we have players like Stearman in the side than some useless old knacker who gives goals away for fun (Not looking at anyone...Chris Makin).

I don't like to compare Levein with Adams, as Adams did fantastically well in his promotion season with us and it's obvious that the job got too much for him in the end - I hope he does alright with Cov. Just a little disclaimer!

Now onto the important stuff, just reading everyone's opinions on the game yesterday fills me with optimism - look at all the votes for MOTM, either for McCarthy, Hughes or Stearman. McCarthy a player who Levein has picked up from Man City reserves (probably through the influence of Rob Kelly I would imagine?), Hughes a player of Premiership class really and a 17-year-old kid who doesn't look out of place in the first team. It's so refreshing to see players like this - all under the age of 24 - performing at their best for a Leicester side. Okay so this season's been a bit of a write-off as far as league position goes but I'd much rather we have players like Stearman in the side than some useless old knacker who gives goals away for fun (Not looking at anyone...Chris Makin).

86840[/snapback]

Cracking post :D. I totally agree with you that is good to see lotsd of young players at the club now after MA has gone. As you said, the likes of Stearman McCarthy and Hughes all being up for MOTM is great to see as there all young and excellent for the future of this club :D

Agreed with wellman great post by FOTM! I think we are slowly but surly seeing the effects of CL taking over and bringing in younger players like he said he would when he took over!

Compare:

Walker Walker

Makin Stearman

Dabizas McCarthy

Keown Dion

Tiatto Maybury

Gillespie Gilliespie

Gemmil Williams

Nalis Hughes

Wilcox Tiatto

Dion De Vries

Connolly Connolly

I think Levein looked at a few of our games under Adams/Bassett & Wilkinson and recognised that we needed a bit of pace at the back (Stearman and McCarthy) and invention in midfield (Hughes and a rejuvenated Gillespie).

I'm a bit disappointed MDV hasn't turned out to be the all-conquering targetman that we were all hoping for and the three-and-a-half year contract is a bit scary. In an ideal world we'd be looking to sign a new striker to start alongside Connolly next season but Levein may wish to perservere with MDV given the length of his contract.

I think Leveins tactical brain has been a massive factor in our improvement, he trys different things unlike MA who would "keep the faith" with 4-4-2 all the time with the same players, for instance when we played plymouth we had a bad first half at 4-4-2 a goal down and getting overrun in midfield, Levein changed it to a 3-5-2 and we won the game 2-1. Then at Charlton he realised that we didnt have the pace at the back to match Bartlett so we went 4-5-1 packed the midfield and dominated also winning it 2-1.

I like the fact that Levein has started to bring in younger players but to stick up for Micky a bit, he had tight finances for two seasons and had to bring in what was available (Old, unwanted freebies). Good youngsters cost a bit of money, not always a lot but too much for us at the time, and youth academies don't always produce 11 players good enough for first team football. Adams tried to balance our books for two seasons which has been important for the future of our club and I think Levein has the benefit of not having as many financial restraints on him now. But Micky didn't really buy the best players when he was given money (Lee Morris for example). I don't want to sound like Chandler but Levein has brought these players in using the wages of some Taylor and Adams signings and by going on a cup run I just feel Adams had his hands tied for a while and had to get what he could. Still very happy with Levein, it was time for a change, and he's giving youngsters a chance.

I like the fact that Levein has started to bring in younger players but to stick up for Micky a bit, he had tight finances for two seasons and had to bring in what was available (Old, unwanted freebies). Good youngsters cost a bit of money, not always a lot but too much for us at the time, and youth academies don't always produce 11 players good enough for first team football. Adams tried to balance our books for two seasons which has been important for the future of our club and I think Levein has the benefit of not having as many financial restraints on him now. But Micky didn't really buy the best players when he was given money (Lee Morris for example). I don't want to sound like Chandler but Levein has brought these players in using the wages of some Taylor and Adams signings and by going on a cup run I just feel Adams had his hands tied for a while and had to get what he could. Still very happy with Levein, it was time for a change, and he's giving youngsters a chance.

86905[/snapback]

I take your points. As I say, I don't want to criticise Adams too much as there is no real need now. However, Adams seemed to be a bit too simplistic in his transfer policy. We all know the great job he did in moulding a promotion-winning side with no money but his only criteria for incoming transfers seemed to be (Premiership) experience, i.e. "I can get him, him and him with x amount of money and they all have Premiership experience".

Different times call for different measures though. Levein has the chance to build a young, hungry squad and that's what he seems to be doing so far. It will be interesting to see players like McCarthy and Hughes develop, hopefully fulfilling their Premiership ambitions with us in the near future.

I think Levein looked at a few of our games under Adams/Bassett & Wilkinson and recognised that we needed a bit of pace at the back (Stearman and McCarthy) and invention in midfield (Hughes and a rejuvenated Gillespie).

I'm a bit disappointed MDV hasn't turned out to be the all-conquering targetman that we were all hoping for and the three-and-a-half year contract is a bit scary. In an ideal world we'd be looking to sign a new striker to start alongside Connolly next season but Levein may wish to perservere with MDV given the length of his contract.

86854[/snapback]

Are you joking??? Well I know people will have different 'ideal worlds' to me but Connolly wouldn't even be in my ideal world he's useless. As for MDV he is slowly finding his feet it is quite a big swap from scottish football to english but I'm sure he will come good and be a vital part in our promotion push next season what we need is a striker that can score a lot from open play.

I would agree with everything the first poster said apart from Hughes being premiership class. Sorry mate but he couldnt even get into the rangers first team and when he did he was pretty rotten although he never got much of a chance, far too light weight. Great to see he is playing well with you guys though. :D

86905[/snapback]

He's just been injured. He's meant to be a good player when fit, and cost Derby 3 million. He only cost 150k.

i remember in the watford thread that when you was 2-0 down someone or some people were saying ''levein out''

:(

87125[/snapback]

You wait til you're getting hammered left right and centre next season, your fans will want Jewell out. :rolleyes:

86854[/snapback]

Are you joking??? Well I know people will have different 'ideal worlds' to me but Connolly wouldn't even be in my ideal world he's useless. As for MDV he is slowly finding his feet it is quite a big swap from scottish football to english but I'm sure he will come good and be a vital part in our promotion push next season what we need is a striker that can score a lot from open play.

87042[/snapback]

I can only go on what I've seen, and from what I've seen Connolly is ten times the player Mark de Vries is.

I would agree with everything the first poster said apart from Hughes being premiership class. Sorry mate but he couldnt even get into the rangers first team and when he did he was pretty rotten although he never got much of a chance, far too light weight. Great to see he is playing well with you guys though. :D

87055[/snapback]

Meant more that he's a class above most players at this level, should be comfortable enough in the Premiership I reckon.

86905[/snapback]

He's just been injured. He's meant to be a good player when fit, and cost Derby 3 million. He only cost 150k.

87123[/snapback]

Like Canero and Blake he is never fit. Like racehorses you have to have players that are fit week in week out else no matter how much perceived ability they have, they will never be able to express it on the pitch.

I say pay them off this close season and look for an attacking RB or defensive Winger and a good left Winger. :D:thumbup:;)

86854[/snapback]

87042[/snapback]

That is absolute rubbish.

Connolly is one of our better players, Granted he hasn't scored as much as anyone would want but he has undoubted talent. His vision and ability to occupy the wider channels has just not been complemented by the numpties he has been asked to partner; ie Scowcroft, De Vries, Wright, Blake.

MDV runs like he's shit himself. I'm sure that we haven't seen the best of him, in fact I'm fuppin desperate that we haven't.

For all that people say, for all the potential that we have acquired since CL's arrival, we have performed badly in a poor league.

I hope that he produces more next year.

It was a great win, but to be fair the way we played was terrible. It was just pure hoof football for about 60 minutes of the game!

I can't fault the pride Levein seems to have instilled! Everyone works very hard. BUT, we have players who can play a bit of football, so why spend 60 minutes totally bypassing Hughes and Williams by hoofing the ball over their heads.

That is my only criticism...at times we looked one dimensional and predictable (very MA is the correct term I think). I'd love to see the players we have pass it around like I know that they can, and Walker try to pass it out of the box a bit rather than hoof every time. No successful team relys solely on hoof ball, the Wimbledon long ball game is predictable and long dead.

Lets play a bit of football lads!

Archived