Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Apple and Encryption

Yes, but everyone knows the Chinese government are a bunch of repressive, authoritarian arseholes.

What Apple (and by extension an awful lot of other people) are hoping, right now , is that the US government isn't turning out to be similar.

Not sure why that means you should compromise from the get go just for the sake of maintaining an oppressive regime?

Unless of course maybe all they really care about is profit and being on the side of the biggest profit making opportunities...

Not sure why that means you should compromise from the get go just for the sake of maintaining an oppressive regime?

Unless of course maybe all they really care about is profit and being on the side of the biggest profit making opportunities...

Not really my point, or not what I intended it to be anyway.

My rebuttal is to those who seek to claim that the US government and its scurriers in the dark are somehow more morally righteous than the Chinese one when they pull shit like this.

Apple are kissing up to the "bad guys" in Beijing...it would be a shame if those in Washington were "bad guys" too and they had to do the same thing to them, because, you know, moral highground and all.

Not really my point, or not what I intended it to be anyway.

My rebuttal is to those who seek to claim that the US government and its scurriers in the dark are somehow more morally righteous than the Chinese one when they pull shit like this.

Apple are kissing up to the "bad guys" in Beijing...it would be a shame if those in Washington were "bad guys" too and they had to do the same thing to them, because, you know, moral highground and all.

And thats my point. They will swing the way of the profit margin. Apple appeal to  a mainly younger crowd of people who you'll see mostly at anti government rallies..

And thats my point. They will swing the way of the profit margin. Apple appeal to  a mainly younger crowd of people who you'll see mostly at anti government rallies..

Yeah, no disagreement there. $$$ all the way.

It's just a shame that the discussion had to arise and that Apple are having to make this pretense of a stand in the first place.

Why just Apple can't help FBI unlock the damn phone, especially a criminal's.

They worry about security being breached if they do help out, and worry about threat to other users of their phone products.

But if they are concerned about security to customers about this (such as encryption hacking) if they are forced to help out, then it perhaps just shows the security against hacking of their products is weak already 0 and they should've make it hard to hack in the first place?

Think Apple are trying to say they have authority in terms of commerce and do whatever they want, no matter if they upset anybody as long as they benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Feeb cracked the phone without Apples help in the end, with possible help from an Israeli cybercracking firm.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35914195

Guess this is a win-win: the scurriers in the dark get their information and Apple get to say they didn't budge on the privacy issue (once they've found the vulnerability that has been exploited here and fixed it, of course).

Guest MattP

Looks like the Feeb cracked the phone without Apples help in the end, with possible help from an Israeli cybercracking firm.

Guess this is a win-win: the scurriers in the dark get their information and Apple get to say they didn't budge on the privacy issue (once they've found the vulnerability that has been exploited here and fixed it, of course).

Certainly is

I'm still torn on this, morally I think Apple were totally right but imagine if they had overseen a situation where innocents died because of this, it must be the first time in history now where we will openly allow people who want to kill us use our own freedoms against us to do so if push comes to shove. It feels a bit weird.

Win win? Now we know that the iPhone security isn't all that it claimed to be, the government can crack into it.... and Apple haven't got a clue how they managed it so can't patch it.

Win win? Now we know that the iPhone security isn't all that it claimed to be, the government can crack into it.... and Apple haven't got a clue how they managed it so can't patch it.

I'm sure Apple will put an awful lot of resources into finding the vulnerability quick sharp. They know how much it could cost them, and of course it's all about the $$$ for them. They'll spare no expense.

Archived