Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jordan

AFL 2016 & 2017

• 3 weeks later...

So if the Sainters win by 150 next weekend and the Kangas lose by 150, St Kilda are in the finals? Might as well put a dollar on it.

And surely Hawthorn won't drop out of the top four, right? ... :unsure:

I know everyone hates Collingwood, and seemingly for good reason, but I'm tipping the Pies to make the finals next season.

• 3 weeks later...

No, they have the "double chance" as they finished top 4, so they're bumped into a semi final against the Western Bulldogs next week at the MCG.

Unless, of course, you're assuming the Doggies continue their form from the ass-whooping they laid on the West Coast Eagles in their elim final :)

And the Cats move right along into the preliminary finals... Which brings me to a question: why do Aussies call semifinals "preliminary finals" and quarterfinals "semifinals?" 

(That Cats-Hawks game was amazing, btw)

It's not so silly, as it gives more advantages for finishing higher in the table.

In the US, if we had 8 teams, we'd just pair the seeds from highest to lowest, but an 8-seed could just get hot and win. It's a simple system, but the regular season matters perhaps a little less as a result. In fact (though rare), I've seen teams in US leagues intentionally lose games or at least rest many players at the end of their season to finish lower in order to get better playoff matchups.

In this system, 

1-2: home qualification final and the home game in the "double chance" semifinal should they lose

3-4: "double chance" and either a home prelim final or a home semifinal depending on the qual final result

5-6: home elimination final, out with any loss

7-8: out with any loss, must win 3 away finals to get to Grand Final.

with such differences in what you get based on how you finish, it makes the regular season a little more interesting at the top (and that seems especially more important this year, with the top 8 locked in for seemingly the whole season and the only drama was teams jockeying for playoff position). And there's no incentive to drop a place in the table with a loss to get a more favorable matchup.

On September 14, 2016 at 15:44, SOCCERROO FOX said:

Went to the Saints B and F count the other night met all the players and got absolutely hammered so it was a good night.

That's excellent.

Hawks-Dogs in the semifinals... I'll get to watch that before work early on Friday. Unfortunately, the match times here in the US haven't been matching up with beer o'clock lately. 

I'd imagine the Doggies are going to get a lot of neutral support across Australia from anyone hoping "Fourthorn" stuff will just stop already.

Their Round 3 game was a real classic despite the painful ending for the Dogs. Let's see if Caleb "the little guy in the helmet" Daniel can put in another heroic performance after last week (or like most of the season, to be fair).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
54 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I needed a team to support last year so I adopted the Adelaide Crows. Now I'm pretending I'm a lifelong fans because they've got to the final.

:D

Richmond is a great story this year and everyone's gonna want them to win, but Adelaide looks just awesome right now. They've got some fantastic players (and some good characters on that team, too) and they've got to be going into the G as massive favorites.

Archived