Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Linux Users Thread

Alright then...so are there any other FT users wanting to stick it to the Microsoft man/computer savvy/hipster enough to eschew Windows in favour of a Linux OS for their computer use?

I installed Ubuntu a fair while ago when I partitioned my HDD on the laptop, but it's only recently I've been using it pretty much exclusively. So I'm reasonably new to the game and not sure if I'm getting the full merits that open source software can provide.

So..what's other peoples experiences? Any software you would recommend? Tricks and hints?

I am using Linux Mint on my old laptop which was fine, came with all the codecs for video playback already installed, dabbled with Ubuntu as well in the past. Always had issues with the laptop wireless drivers, but run it on a wired connection now. Occassionally have issues connecting to my Windows 10 PC shared files, but as a general browsing / office type OS I prefer it to Windows 10.

Had to use Ubuntu for some work at University around software exploits. Didn't like it and would certainly never install it to use on my personal machine

Fair enough. I've gotten reasonably used to it by now. I'm no PC gamer so the only real bugbear for me is that it doesn't have a decent piece of writing compilation software like Scrivener. But, like I said, I still think I'm only scratching the surface.

I am using Linux Mint on my old laptop which was fine, came with all the codecs for video playback already installed, dabbled with Ubuntu as well in the past. Always had issues with the laptop wireless drivers, but run it on a wired connection now. Occassionally have issues connecting to my Windows 10 PC shared files, but as a general browsing / office type OS I prefer it to Windows 10.

Oddly enough wireless connection drivers were something I never had a problem with while running Ubuntu. Got VLC media player and all the codecs came with that too.

I think you're pretty spot on regarding the browsing/office functionality. If you want to game or do serious graphical work it's probably not for you, but for general purpose I do think it outstrips Windows in many regards.

As a rule these Linux OS's are less resource-hungry than the recent Windows versions, I only installed it on an old laptop (about 4 years old) as a project but was impressed. Think you can install Ubuntu onto a Windows PC then select which OS to use on start-up, rather than formatting a hard drive and messing about with partitions, which might be a good introduction to it for someone who's not too sure about it.

Previously used Unbuntu but ended up thinking it wass just too much effort. Microsoft has it's issues but for ease of use and GUI I just stick to Windows. 

At work I use a Mac and that's still my preferred choice. It's the perfect OS for me as a web developer. I'd have a Mac at home but I don't think I can justify the price.

Installed Zorin on my laptop a while back to try and free up some of the little resources my shitty laptop has. Same back end as Ubuntu I think, but the UI is basically Windows. Comes with common video codecs etc, had to fiddle around with Terminal a bit to get AceStream working though. 

Pretty much only use it for torrents and streaming football, so it also has the benefit of not nearly being as susceptible to malicious software compared to Windows.

Archived