Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rain King

Work

20 hours ago, pds said:

I've applied for jobs and had interview offers but I guess I am just worried that I will fall into the same trap of hating it with the added bonus of having to learn a new role. In my heart I know at some stage I've just got to bite the bullet and do it because my current job is soul destroying.

Just wish my parents had told me to concentrate on working towards a career path for something I would enjoy. I did do that but unfortunately I wasn't good enough for Leicester Boys let alone Leicester City.

Maybe you're looking at things the wrong way round. Instead of asking "What's out there?" try asking "What do i want to do?" There may be several options. Once you've decided on something you think you can be happy and capable in doing, then just carve out the career path to do it - and be determined. I've had two sons do that and it's worked well because their motivation came from within themselves.

One became an accountant's clerk, learned all he could about the business, studied part time for his chartered accountancy qualifications, formed his own company in partnership with his wife and now spends much of his time buying other accountants, modernising them,    integrating them within the core business and offering career opportunities to others.

The other became a cook and, again, learned different aspects of the business including the purchasing/organisational side, was inspired to become a fully qualified chef and has now climbed to a fairly senior position at one of the best hotel/restaurants in the country and host to the much-loved Boodles tennis tournament as illustrated here:     http://www.theboodles.com/results/index.html                  

Neither had a specific career path mapped out or silver-spoon advantages when they started out - they just made a plan and did everything necessary to bring it to fruition.  

I don't say it's all been plain sailing but motivation comes easier if you have a goal and if, each and every day, you give of your best whatever the headaches or the times you're asked to give extra.

Life is about decisions, some people make good decisions, some people make bad ones. 

I I think it's fairly easy to see that just quitting your job when you don't have another to go to is a bad decision. 

Am I missing something? 

If I am not missing something, why don't you make a good decision and look for new jobs, look forward to finding something new and go for it.

But just quitting, which could result in a massive downward spiral is just bizarre. 

Just reading your other comments, read a few books on thinking a different way, or books of how people how succeeded. To me, if you have the attitude you currently have you need to create a different mindset. 

People want to employ positive people, you need to sort that out. Look at what others have achieved, pick role models, read more and go for it. 

17 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Life is about decisions, some people make good decisions, some people make bad ones. 

I I think it's fairly easy to see that just quitting your job when you don't have another to go to is a bad decision. 

Am I missing something? 

If I am not missing something, why don't you make a good decision and look for new jobs, look forward to finding something new and go for it.

But just quitting, which could result in a massive downward spiral is just bizarre. 

You may be entirely right for some, but I've also seen people make themselves ill writing off for endless jobs and either not getting a reply at all or getting nowhere just the same.

It's one of he reasons I've long worked for myself. I don't relish the idea of other people ruining my mood.    

In the end some get so despondent chasing jobs they stay in the one they've got that's making them miserable, even more disillusioned with their work, with themselves and with everyone else. 

Getting out of the rut focuses the mind and offers any potential employer the knowledge that you can start tomorrow. That can be a big plus than them waiting for you to hand in notice and perhaps changing your mind.  

I suppose it all depends on your nature and faith in yourself and what you've got to offer.

It might also depend on your financial commitments.

There's no easy answers but you're a long time working so, to me, you might as well focus on finding or creating something you enjoy.   

A pal of my youngest did just that from scratch. He bought two mowers, a few tools, and a trailer for his car and started doing garden maintenance with no formal qualifications whatsoever. Ten years on he's got so much work - including a council contract - he's never looked back. 

Believe in yourself, show willing to learn and be positive.  

Been tempted by this myself but whenever I seriously think about it it's not the right thing to do and I don't have kids to worry about.

Ive been with my company for 10 years and been in my current job for 5 minus a 4 month career break. I am well paid, can work quiet flexibly as I'm the boss but it's not challenging which frustrates me.

I think you will find loads of people are in the same boat which suggests the grass isn't greener and looking on these job site websites is completely soul destroying.

Knuckle down, find a few companies that you like the look of and apply with them and I am sure things will look up.

15 hours ago, Thracian said:

You may be entirely right for some, but I've also seen people make themselves ill writing off for endless jobs and either not getting a reply at all or getting nowhere just the same. It's one of he reasons I've long worked for myself. I don't relish the idea of other people ruining my mood.    

In the end some stay get so despondent chasing jobs they stay in the one they've got that's making them miserable, even more disillusioned with their work, themselves and everyone else. 

Getting out of the rut focuses the mind and offers any potential employer the knowledge that you can start tomorrow. That can be a big plus than them waiting for you to hand in notice and perhaps changing your mind.  

I suppose it all depends on your nature and faith in yourself and what you've got to offer.

It might also depend on your financial commitments.

There's no easy answers but you're a long time working so, to me, you might as well focus on finding or creating something you enjoy.   

A pal of my youngest did just that from scratch. He bought two mowers, a few tools, and a trailer for his car and started doing garden maintenance with no formal qualifications whatsoever. Ten years on he's got so much work - including a council contract - he's never looked back. 

Believe in yourself, show willing to learn and be positive.  

You just can't quit your job. As an employer, if someone came to see me and they said they quit and had obviously risked their family, I would look at them and think they are the sort that make wrong decisions.

Those that were in work and wanting to better themselves, would instantly get a thumbs up from me and I would be interested. 

Anyway, to be successful and enjoy your job, you should look to progress and move on as soon as you feel it is not right. Waiting until you are thoroughly depressed isn't the way forward. Believe it or not, finding good people is the hardest thing in business, so there are plenty of people that will employ people who have the right attitude and character. 

My my view is that if you are struggling to progress, it may well be that the attitude and character is not right. But you can work on it. Read and learn what others have done, set goals etc. 

Quick example. Someone sent me a letter out of the blue looking for work. You could feel their desire in the letter, you knew they desperately wanted to work, and they had gone to the trouble of finding out my name. I would think they did the same to every company on the estate. 

I didnt have have a job, but I personally contacted them, told them how impressed I was and that they certainly would be the sort I would employ and to keep in touch. I never heard from them again, probably because someone will have snapped them up straight away. 

Hard to find people who have the right mindset, character and are determined. 

Anyone can achieve, it's upto you, and if someone just quits, and hasn't planned on how they will achieve, I wouldn't touch them. 

Risk for the family is not just about money. Becoming depressed in a job is serious and the sooner you either change the situation or get out of the job the better. 

Sometimes it is quicker and better to create your own job than to beg for work in today's often detached and ill-mannered climate.

There are some excellent employers out there who anyone would be pleased to work for, but some have attitudes I wouldn't put up with for a day.

Have you tried talking to a recruitment agent or consultant? I know I'll probably get shot down because we are universally hated but let's be honest they know how to manage a process and get an end result. If you haven't got anything lined up they will often know who is hiring and who is firing, so they can put you in touch with some good companies. Just be straight and tell them you don't want your time wasted and you'll find that they will help. 

If you do decide to take the plunge and look at new things, and want any advice on interview techniques, what employers are looking for, how to build and write a good CV etc just drop me a message. I recruit in IT and have no idea if that's what industry you're in etc but like I said earlier, I know how recruitment processes work and they're the same in any industry. 

Guest CityFan 06

I'm looking for work but with on-going training alongside it. It's difficult because you've got to be realistic & honest to yourself, in terms of the actual job role and location. Hope something comes up, not happy at the moment that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, Manini said:

Have you tried talking to a recruitment agent or consultant? I know I'll probably get shot down because we are universally hated but let's be honest they know how to manage a process and get an end result. If you haven't got anything lined up they will often know who is hiring and who is firing, so they can put you in touch with some good companies. Just be straight and tell them you don't want your time wasted and you'll find that they will help. 

If you do decide to take the plunge and look at new things, and want any advice on interview techniques, what employers are looking for, how to build and write a good CV etc just drop me a message. I recruit in IT and have no idea if that's what industry you're in etc but like I said earlier, I know how recruitment processes work and they're the same in any industry. 

Don't put yourself down, I had some great experiences through consultants and even before that, at the job centre.

Working in a factory with no clue what to do, just sitting down with a lady at the job centre opened my mind, and within hours I had three interviews in a new field.

Then in decent jobs, consultants put me in real great positions throughout my career. 

Sonetimes you you can't see a way forward, and you need a bit of help.

I have nothing but admiration for the people at the job centre and the consultants I dealt with. They helped me tremendously. 

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

Don't put yourself down, I had some great experiences through consultants and even before that, at the job centre.

Working in a factory with no clue what to do, just sitting down with a lady at the job centre opened my mind, and within hours I had three interviews in a new field.

Then in decent jobs, consultants put me in real great positions throughout my career. 

Sonetimes you you can't see a way forward, and you need a bit of help.

I have nothing but admiration for the people at the job centre and the consultants I dealt with. They helped me tremendously. 

Oh stop it I'm blushing now 

Archived