Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

Match Ratings : Leicester City 1-0 FC Porto - Vote Now

2 hours ago, RastaDog said:

Oh come on! You can't rate Albrighton for deflecting a shot! That's nonsense. Equally, would it have been his fault for a goal if he were standing a few paces to the left? Fair enough, he was there, but the rest... anything could have happened.

Nah, not getting on his case or anything because he wasn't crap but, by his standards, he wasn't having his best of games. Yes, it was a good cross field ball to Mahrez for the goal but I don't judge a player for one contribution, good or bad. 

It's the context of the moment. He saved a certain goal when we were under a lot of pressure in the closing moments. Of course you can praise him for that. It was on target in an open goal and if he wasn't there it would unquestionably be 1-1 in the dying minutes of the game. It was as important a moment as the goal, of course you can praise him for helping us to win the game by pulling off such a crucial match-winning save.

If Kasper had pulled off a great save in the dying minute or Morgan had cleared one off the line we'd all be saying it was a match-winning save or clearance. Just because he isn't primarily a defender or goalkeeper doesn't mean you can't praise him for it.

If Albrighton wasn't on the pitch we easily could've lost that game 1-0. No one is saying you judge players on one moment or he had his best all round game, but he was one of the most crucial players to our victory and he played a big part in probably the 2 most critical moments of the match and his ability to do the right thing when it mattered at crucial moments went a long way to winning us the game and for that he deserves praise and certainly not some of the crap that's been written about his performance.

Turning up for the big moments in the game is probably the single best attribute any player can have. How many times did people accuse Mahrez last season of doing nothing for 89 minutes but then turning up and winning us the game? That shouldn't be viewed as a negative, it's one of the best attributes a player can have, still making viral contributions even if things aren't going their way. One of Albrighton's biggest strengths is even when he's having an off day he'll never hide and will keep trying things, it was similar against Norwich in the run-in last season when he was having a frustrating game but didn't hide and eventually his cross led to Ulloa's winner.

If you're judging him on his contribution then how can you slate him when he contributed to our victory as much as pretty much anyone?

(My bold)

11 hours ago, Sampson said:

If you're judging him on his contribution then how can you slate him when he contributed to our victory as much as pretty much anyone?

I'm not "slating" him! What I said was.... 

14 hours ago, RastaDog said:

Nah, not getting on his case or anything because he wasn't crap but, by his standards, he wasn't having his best of games. 

How is that "slating"?

I just find the suggestion that he had a good game because he got in the way of a shot (and arguably knew fek all about it) to be a tad amusing. I could put my border collie on the pitch, he loves chasing balls, and he'd get in the way too. Do you think Claudio would sign him? ;)  

14 hours ago, RastaDog said:

Oh come on! You can't rate Albrighton for deflecting a shot! That's nonsense. Equally, would it have been his fault for a goal if he were standing a few paces to the left? Fair enough, he was there, but the rest... anything could have happened.

Nah, not getting on his case or anything because he wasn't crap but, by his standards, he wasn't having his best of games. Yes, it was a good cross field ball to Mahrez for the goal but I don't judge a player for one contribution, good or bad. 

"If" counts for nothing. The block saved a goal and to some fans they might consider it crucial enough to lift a rating beyond whatever else the player contributed might have merited.

I do it myself with strikers or goalkeepers. If a striker does next to nothing yet scores the two goals that win us the match he's usually had a great game in my view.

Similarly if a goalkeeper's distribution is off but he saves a penalty and makes two breathtaking point-blank saves I'll forgive him a lot. 

Much of my focus is on the job a player is primarily there to do.

For me Albrighton's block is worth a bonus because it's "an extra" and glad we were of it too. But that wouldn't stop me downgrading him a bit for  delivering generally indifferent crosses because that's his primary function and he shouldn't be getting it wrong.

Similarly a centre-forward could make all sorts of worthwhile contributions and that would be appreciated but I'd still deduct a bit from his rating for not scoring or at least having shots on target bringing worthwhile saves because that's his principal job whereas with someone like Drinkwater, scoring's a bonus, more't eh pity! :)

I can't remember how I marked Albrighton but given the two significant contributions mentioned and the poor crosses I'd say about 6.5 or 7 would be right though some might argue the vital block merited a point or so more.    .     

59 minutes ago, Thracian said:

The block saved a goal and to some fans they might consider it crucial enough to lift a rating beyond whatever else the player contributed might have merited.  

That's the real point right there really. The bone of contention, as it were. I don't think it was, others clearly do. End of.

Squawka ratings for comparison:

http://www.squawka.com/news/player-ratings-leicester-1-0-porto-silmani-guides-the-foxes-to-another-win-in-europe/783404

Why do they do this sort of stuff as a slideshow, I just want to have a quick look, but I've  got to click through pictures...

I was on Squawka to look at Albrighton's stats, they were pretty damning, 45% passing accuracy missed 4 tackles out of 5, no interceptions, I do love MA and think he brings a lot to the team, but he wasn't at the races on Tuesday, yet he made 2 very telling contributions and none of his mistakes cost us.

He went from winning the man of the match in Brugge to the worst player in the game vs Porto (based on Squawka stats).

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Squawka ratings for comparison:

http://www.squawka.com/news/player-ratings-leicester-1-0-porto-silmani-guides-the-foxes-to-another-win-in-europe/783404

Why do they do this sort of stuff as a slideshow, I just want to have a quick look, but I've  got to click through pictures...

I was on Squawka to look at Albrighton's stats, they were pretty damning, 45% passing accuracy missed 4 tackles out of 5, no interceptions, I do love MA and think he brings a lot to the team, but he wasn't at the races on Tuesday, yet he made 2 very telling contributions and none of his mistakes cost us.

He went from winning the man of the match in Brugge to the worst player in the game vs Porto (based on Squawka stats).

And there's the reality, people see things differently and that's before personal preference comes into it. Regarding the Squawka stats, would fans really have preferred Albrighton to have delivered brilliant crosses and won all his tackles instead of making the telling pass to Mahrez and failing to block he shot which might have finished in the net? No way.    

As for "personal bias" fans will deny it, but it's clear to see. If fans want a particular player in the team they'll invariably give his rivals a bad time and bad marks, refusing to recognise anything good that they do apart form the obvious and then only grudgingly or without comment.

See how many times any of our new found Algerian friends ever give bad marks to Mahrez or Slimani. It was the same when Kaebi turned up and all sorts of people were canvassing his being selected for the first team and saying how much he was doing in the reserves to be given his chance in the first team!

Haha, I wondered if he was a world beater til I watched him play!  

Fortunately Mahrez and Slimani are top class internationals and more than worthy of a first team shirt and bias is by no means confined to different nationalities and their followers among the fans.

It happens with others too. Look at the rating up of Inler at first and until such flattery became indefensible. Quite without reason in terms of performances, he was suddenly being championed for selection or for the bench yet almost every chance he got he was average at best but more often disappointing.

Another plus for some of the fans is aggression. They love a bit of attitude. Waso (yes i liked him too) was the obvious example, before he started getting the sendings off some of us had anticipated since he arrived and how many remember Danny Tiatto who was forever being commended for his competitiveness but never finished on the winning side at all for us one season and was so often booked before half-time he became a disaster waiting to happen in the second "45" unless he was subbed.  

Kingy, by contrast, has various detractors because he's never memorably aggressive, has next to no chance of hurting anyone or getting sent off and it wouldn't make any difference to those fans whether he scored a goal or two and never missed his target with a pass....he'd still be given no real credit because he's not physically dominant.

Put all the factors together and you'll almost always get a massive contrast in fans opinions and yet there's some pretty good tactical and player analysis on here most weeks and much of it well defended. Especially when compared with other sites which are mostly disappointing when I've looked, which isn't often nowadays. 

Nor am I picking on people for their bias. I've got my own and consciously try to be fair to the guys I don't like so much. For me the cardinal sins of football are not passing/crossing the ball properly, not shooting when the chance arises and so trying to make sure you score and not making the runs that provide passing opportunities.

But some players shine in other ways - as organisers/demanders/creators/destroyers and if the results are right the means are secondary, at least in the short term.

Hence the value of people like Kante, Kasper (such a vociferous organiser), Huth (cos he makes life so uncomfortable for his opponents. or has done in the past) and so on through a whole host of unlikely names over the years and right back, for me, to Frank Large who was quite the worst footballer I ever came to appreciate for so willingly running through, round and over absolutely anyone in his path and then scoring the ugliest goals of anyone I've ever seen apart from Shinj and a super guy called Frank Sheard who played centre-forward for me and never seemed to score a goal without scuffing the ball a la Steve Claridge.   

lol At the Algerian overload trying to skew the stats!! There's a number of votes originating in Algeria that have given Mahrez and Slimani a 10 and every other Leicester player a 1, I'm guessing in order to boost their average rating lollollol

Archived