Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buzzard

Wi-Fi

Hi,

Had 200Mbps Virgin broadband installed a few days ago.

Over Wi-Fi, speedtests on my phone suggests I am getting speeds of about 180Mbps, but on my laptop I'm only getting speeds of around 40Mbps.

I am sat with my phone and laptop by the router. Could the laptop be restricting speed in any way?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Hi,

Had 200Mbps Virgin broadband installed a few days ago.

Over Wi-Fi, speedtests on my phone suggests I am getting speeds of about 180Mbps, but on my laptop I'm only getting speeds of around 40Mbps.

I am sat with my phone and laptop by the router. Could the laptop be restricting speed in any way?

Thanks

I posted the same a few weeks ago what area do you live in? I was hitting 28mpbs about 2 weeks ago and pay for 200..

Its more likely that its hardware differences between your phone and laptop. The WiFi card in the laptop might actually be slower that the chip inside your phone.

Easiest way to know would be to check the on both of them which bandwidth of WiFi theyre picking up, I would guess the phone is on the 5g bandwidth and the lappy on 2g. So probably not a problem with the router in my opinion

That 200 that they advertised is 'pooled' among everyone else within the area - IDK the range of this pool but thats how it works.

If you are hard wired into the router or sat next to it on the 5G signal you will see insane speeds.

I am currently sat less than 12ft away from my router but there is a wall in between us and hitting 110 and 12.

Virgin suck balls.

5 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

That 200 that they advertised is 'pooled' among everyone else within the area - IDK the range of this pool but thats how it works.

If you are hard wired into the router or sat next to it on the 5G signal you will see insane speeds.

I am currently sat less than 12ft away from my router but there is a wall in between us and hitting 110 and 12.

Virgin suck balls.

5g signal ???? 

Whats that ??? 

I thought we are only on 4g ? 

34 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

5g signal ???? 

Whats that ??? 

I thought we are only on 4g ? 

He means GHz. There are two different wireless frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. 5 GHz has a larger bandwidth (i.e. more 'speed') but lower range.

5 hours ago, potter3 said:

He means GHz. There are two different wireless frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. 5 GHz has a larger bandwidth (i.e. more 'speed') but lower range.

Is my iPhone on that ? 

So when I buy any wirelsss Devices I should check that ? 

Thanks Harry 

Its the different frequencies the router is capable of broadcasting. 5G is stronger but limited in range and 2G has a further range but not as strong.

One of the challenges with Virgin or any ISP is the appalling hardware they provide. Getting a half decent router and setting the Virgin one to modem mode only should help increase the strength.

On 11/27/2016 at 15:14, SpazticChicken said:

Its more likely that its hardware differences between your phone and laptop. The WiFi card in the laptop might actually be slower that the chip inside your phone.

Easiest way to know would be to check the on both of them which bandwidth of WiFi theyre picking up, I would guess the phone is on the 5g bandwidth and the lappy on 2g. So probably not a problem with the router in my opinion

Thanks for that, that seems to be the problem. Turned off 2.4Ghz and my laptop failed to connect so clearly not got the compatible hardware.

Archived