Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ashley Chambers and Joe Mattock -

<h3 class="headline">From the OS

</h3> <h3 class="headline">

</h3> <h3 class="headline">The Future's Bright </h3>

0,,10274%7E2768371,00.jpg

Leicester Academy starlets Ashley Chambers and Joe Mattocks have been called up to the England under 16 squad for the upcoming Victory Shield tournament later this month.

The duo, who are still at school, have been in fine form for both the under 18 and reserve sides this season - with striker Chambers going a further step in becoming the youngest ever player to represent the City first team at the age of 15 years 203 days when he came on as a substitute in the Carling Cup victory over Blackpool last month.

The Victory Shield pitches the finest young players from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland against each other on an annual basis.

And City Academy Director Jon Rudkin believes that the call-ups should be a pointer to what can be achieved by the young players in and around the county.

Rudkin said: "This call up is great recognition for the hard work that both of the lads have put in through the years that they have been with the football club. It shows locally what opportunities are out there for the young players.

"Ashley is from the New Parks area of the city, while Joe is from Countesthorpe. Both lads joined us in 2000 and they have played in the same teams all the way through the age groups.

"It will be Joe's first call up, while Ashley has already played for England at under 17 level.

"Joe went on a recent training camp and the England scouts have been watching him play for both the Leicester under 16 and 18 sides. He's a left back-cum-left midfield player.

"They are developing very well and this will be a good experience for them.

"I don't think we have seen such an exciting time at Academy level since I joined the club and we have good prospects all the way through the age groups. It's an encouraging time for all the youngsters.

"There has always been a good tradition with the youth here at Leicester over the years. But at the moment there is a good focus being paid by the football club towards the younger players - and the rewards are there.

"There has been a lot of hard work over a number of years. We have seen a lot of good young players come through the club - and that is down to the coaching we give them and the scouting network that we have in and around the region.

"We have got other young players in different age groups who are of similar ilk, which is very encouraging for the club on a long-term basis."

Don't forget - you can keep up to date with all the latest news from the Leicester City Academy on both lcfc.com and Leicester City World.

We bring you match reports of the under 18 and reserve fixtures - plus all the background information about the Leicester Academy - including information on how to apply for a trial at the club.

I think we should get Chambers in the First team! I've played with him loads of times at School and i think he is a TALENT!! He's got Pace, Strength and Determination! I think Chambers will do very well in the future for Leicester or any other team he plays for!! Good luck ASH! Your a true BLUE!! :thumbup:

I think we should get Chambers in the First team! I've played with him loads of times at School and i think he is a TALENT!! He's got Pace, Strength and Determination! I think Chambers will do very well in the future for Leicester or any other team he plays for!! Good luck ASH! Your a true BLUE!! :thumbup:

a) It's not us you have to convince - there have been various calls for his inclusion.

b) No-one seems to have published information on whether he in eligible to play Championship matches.

<h3 class="headline">From the OS

</h3> <h3 class="headline">

</h3> <h3 class="headline">The Future's Bright </h3>

0,,10274%7E2768371,00.jpg

Leicester Academy starlets Ashley Chambers and Joe Mattocks have been called up to the England under 16 squad for the upcoming Victory Shield tournament later this month.

The duo, who are still at school, have been in fine form for both the under 18 and reserve sides this season - with striker Chambers going a further step in becoming the youngest ever player to represent the City first team at the age of 15 years 203 days when he came on as a substitute in the Carling Cup victory over Blackpool last month.

The Victory Shield pitches the finest young players from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland against each other on an annual basis.

And City Academy Director Jon Rudkin believes that the call-ups should be a pointer to what can be achieved by the young players in and around the county.

Rudkin said: "This call up is great recognition for the hard work that both of the lads have put in through the years that they have been with the football club. It shows locally what opportunities are out there for the young players.

"Ashley is from the New Parks area of the city, while Joe is from Countesthorpe. Both lads joined us in 2000 and they have played in the same teams all the way through the age groups.

"It will be Joe's first call up, while Ashley has already played for England at under 17 level.

"Joe went on a recent training camp and the England scouts have been watching him play for both the Leicester under 16 and 18 sides. He's a left back-cum-left midfield player.

"They are developing very well and this will be a good experience for them.

"I don't think we have seen such an exciting time at Academy level since I joined the club and we have good prospects all the way through the age groups. It's an encouraging time for all the youngsters.

"There has always been a good tradition with the youth here at Leicester over the years. But at the moment there is a good focus being paid by the football club towards the younger players - and the rewards are there.

"There has been a lot of hard work over a number of years. We have seen a lot of good young players come through the club - and that is down to the coaching we give them and the scouting network that we have in and around the region.

"We have got other young players in different age groups who are of similar ilk, which is very encouraging for the club on a long-term basis."

Don't forget - you can keep up to date with all the latest news from the Leicester City Academy on both lcfc.com and Leicester City World.

We bring you match reports of the under 18 and reserve fixtures - plus all the background information about the Leicester Academy - including information on how to apply for a trial at the club.

The Academy is a credit to the club just now. Just to say lots of us on here appreciate your efforts as is demonstrated by the posts and also the interest and involvement of Craig Levein.

Sounds to me like a really firm foundation is being laid - and one which will also help the coffers when necessary cos the reality is we HAVE to develop some talent of our own to survive.

Sounds to me like a really firm foundation is being laid - and one which will also help the coffers when necessary cos the reality is we HAVE to develop some talent of our own to survive.

I think once a couple of youngsters like Chambers(sorry again) gets a few games under there Sleaves they should get the confidence to go out there and score some terrific goals for us!! :thumbup:

b) No-one seems to have published information on whether he in eligible to play Championship matches.

Glancing over the FA rules its hard to find anything saying he can't...

Age Brackets

(a) A child in the age ranges Under 7, Under 8, Under 9, Under 10, Under 11, Under 12,

Under 13, Under 14 and Under 15 (to come in to effect from 2006-07) must not play

and shall not be permitted, or encouraged to play, in a match where any other player

is older or younger by 2 years or more than that person.

(b) To play in an Under 18 age bracket competition the player must have achieved the age

of 15 my midnight on the 31st of August of the playing session. (to come in to effect

from the 2006-07 season).

© To play in an open age competition a player must have achieved the age 16. (to come

in to effect from the 2007-08 season).

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/D698BE9C...ules2.pdf#RuleC

Section C seems to say you must be 16 to play in the first team, but it also says this rule doesn't come into effect until 07/08. Assuming when they say 'competition' they mean the League as well. I'm not saying Chambo can definitely play as there might be another rule somewhere saying he can't, but on the basis of the above it looks good. That said, I don't think we will or should play him until at least the end of the season.

Section C seems to say you must be 16 to play in the first team, but it also says this rule doesn't come into effect until 07/08. Assuming when they say 'competition' they mean the League as well. I'm not saying Chambo can definitely play as there might be another rule somewhere saying he can't, but on the basis of the above it looks good. That said, I don't think we will or should play him until at least the end of the season.

I dont think they will let him Chambo play anyway in the championship!! But he may get a chance in the Carling Cup or Even the FA!! With any Luck!

a) It's not us you have to convince - there have been various calls for his inclusion.

Currently I believe he is eligible as one of the criteria for player in the League Cup is that he must be eligible to play in either the Fizzy or the PL. :D;):thumbup:

Well the info forwarded so far suggests he can play and it would be nice if the club would clarity the situation - and put an end to this theoretical debate once and for all.

Having seen Chambers several times now I'd have no fears about him making cameo roles for the first team and believe that he could have considerable impact over 20 minutes or so.

That's no reflection on any of our current strikers who I believe are starting to look better now that they're getting a bit more backing. City got the ball in the net three times during the second half at Derby and that is the sort of standard we should be aiming for.

Chambers will only assist in that quest cos he's so hard to mark. And, I honestly don't think he'd be any more vulnerable physically than any of the other players because he's compact, calculating and I've seem him up against some pretty uncompromising opposition at times.

Mind you it can be amusing how he deals with the big guys. He's not tall and doesn't carry any great aerial threat that I've noticed and many times his challenge for a punted pass is just a token gesture - and not very well acted at that.

He seems to use these non-challenges as a bit of a softener cos all of a sudden, when he does want the ball, when he sniffs the chance of a strike on goal, he's suddenly quite pushy, quite combative and wickedly elusive.

And, if he does get possession then it's a quick shuffle and whack, the ball is probably in the net and the defender's left wondering how on earth that happened. Clever player is Ashley.

From the Football League Cup Rules :

The Competition shall observe the Rules, Regulations and Bye-Laws of The

League and The Football Association Rules and all matches shall be played

under the Laws of the Game as approved by The International Football League

Board. In the event of any conflict between any such Rules, Regulations, Bye-

Laws and Laws as aforesaid, the Rules of the Football Association shall prevail.

Given the above and given the fact that Chambo came on the pitch means one of two things. Either we played an ineligible player or that Chambo is eligible to play under League rules and thus the Fizzy. :huh::unsure::D;):thumbup:

Archived