Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

RIP Brian Matthews.

Radio 2 DJ who presented Sound of the 60s has passed away aged 88 today.

Since I was barely alive in the 60s all I knew of the 60s was the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Beach Boys and all the other big hits singles if the 60s played in the radio. I often wondered to my self, since the stuff I liked from the 80s, 90s and onwards wasn't hugely successful commercially (even if it was ruddy good!), what about the less commercially successful music of the 60s?

Which was why Brian Matthews was s brilliant. SotS played everything, from the huge hits we all know to stuff, I'd never heard of. Who could think I'd be introduced to 'new' music that was 50 years old. Loved his show, a highlight of the week. Let's hope someone takes up his mantle and does the 60s some justice!

Not taking the piss, but is he definitely dead this time? It's just that the BBC reported he'd passed away last week and had to apologise because he wasn't, he was just very ill.

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Not taking the piss, but is he definitely dead this time? It's just that the BBC reported he'd passed away last week and had to apologise because he wasn't, he was just very ill.

Nah, I knew this had happened, but actually confirmed. :(

I always have Radio 2 on at work so if I ever work on a Saturday I'd hear SoTS. Very interesting it was too. As Trav says you hear songs from that era that you've never heard before.

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

I always have Radio 2 on at work so if I ever work on a Saturday I'd hear SoTS. Very interesting it was too. As Trav says you hear songs from that era that you've never heard before.

Yeah I've listened to it a good few times, a real shame.

Archived