Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SeattleShane

Why are people clapping Mahrez?

Saying Mahrez is the best fotballer you've ever seen (in a City shirt) is pretty ridiculous.

How do you compare a winger with a CB or a GK? 

Comparing players from different eras is also very difficult. I remember the pitches that players in the 60's, 70's and 80's used to play on. They were a mess in the winter, heavy, cut up, turf-less sometimes. People like Mahrez would find playing on a surface like that a completely different game. I remember the uproar about the away pitch in the Cup this season and tbh that would have been Wembley like back in the day. Also today's footballers are so well protected compared to the past. Mahrez would have been kicked off the pitch in the first 5 minutes and not been looking forward to getting the ball as much as he does now. When I think of the treatment that goalies used to get, the game has changed almost beyond recognition.  Some of the treatment those (often scottish) strikers used to give (and get) - Joe Jordan in the 70's and 80's, even Duncan Ferguson in the 90's. Perhaps there's a reason that British international football and Scottish in particular has diminished since the 70's that isn't only due to other nations improvements. Is there anyone other than Carroll who actually plays "big" anymore? 

23 hours ago, FIF said:

Saying Mahrez is the best fotballer you've ever seen (in a City shirt) is pretty ridiculous.

Comparing players from different eras is also very difficult. I remember the pitches that players in the 60's, 70's and 80's used to play on. They were a mess in the winter, heavy, cut up, turf-less sometimes. People like Mahrez would find playing on a surface like that a completely different game. I remember the uproar about the away pitch in the Cup this season and tbh that would have been Wembley like back in the day. Also today's footballers are so well protected compared to the past. Mahrez would have been kicked off the pitch in the first 5 minutes and not been looking forward to getting the ball as much as he does now. When I think of the treatment that goalies used to get, the game has changed almost beyond recognition.  Some of the treatment those (often scottish) strikers used to give (and get) - Joe Jordan in the 70's and 80's, even Duncan Ferguson in the 90's. Perhaps there's a reason that British international football and Scottish in particular has diminished since the 70's that isn't only due to other nations improvements. Is there anyone other than Carroll who actually plays "big" anymore? 

How many LCFC players won the PFA Player of the Year?

23 hours ago, FIF said:

23 minutes ago, Redouane said:

It's a spurious argument regarding the PFA player of the year award. It's arguable that either Kante or Vardy could have won that award. (Yes, I know they didn't and Mahrez did). I understand your backing of Mahrez, he's your favourite player.  Had he played for the entirity of his time with Leicester the way he played in the title winning season, I reckon you'd have a lot more people backing your argument. However, I completely agree with @FIF, the skills of modern footballers, whilst obviously linked, are different from those in the past. A quick look at a George Best compilation will confirm that skill wasn't the only (or in fact main) prerequisite in a footballer in the past, some of the challenges on Best would warrant a jail sentence these days let alone a red card.

Don't misunderstand me here, Mahrez belongs in any conversation about the most skilfull player to play for Leicester and to some, he also belongs in any conversation regarding Leicester's best ever player. However, defining the qualities required to hold that accolade probably changes every 5/7 years as sport continually evolves.

For the record, I am not a Mahrez basher, he has been responsible for some of the magic moments in the most successful period of the club. We all have our favourite players, defining the best is practically impossible.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Redouane said:

Mate, Mahrez is a very good player and I understand that he's your favourite.

I'm sure you understand who chooses the POTY and how they do it. How many people who voted do you think watched every minute Leicester played that season (let alone every minute every player in the PL played)? I see you joined us in 2017, I presume you watched all the City games that season.

Personally I believe that to single any player out from that unit is a crime but if I had to say who the biggest influence in our escape and then title winning season was I'd immediately say Robert Huth. How many votes did he get for POTY?

Mahrez is skilfull and great to watch but he's far from an all round perfect player. Vardy could easily have won the award, Kanté could easily have won the award and as I say IMO Huth was the most important player factor in our title winning season.

Don't take it as an insult. It's just a healthy difference of opinion.

21 hours ago, FIF said:

Mate, Mahrez is a very good player and I understand that he's your favourite.

I'm sure you understand who chooses the POTY and how they do it. How many people who voted do you think watched every minute Leicester played that season (let alone every minute every player in the PL played)? I see you joined us in 2017, I presume you watched all the City games that season.

Personally I believe that to single any player out from that unit is a crime but if I had to say who the biggest influence in our escape and then title winning season was I'd immediately say Robert Huth. How many votes did he get for POTY?

Mahrez is skilfull and great to watch but he's far from an all round perfect player. Vardy could easily have won the award, Kanté could easily have won the award and as I say IMO Huth was the most important player factor in our title winning season.

Don't take it as an insult. It's just a healthy difference of opinion.

Your argument is flawed though. You said most skilful not best contributor to the team.

So Huth might've been an integral part of the team, but was he the most skilful?

Edit: never mind you didn't say skilful lol I just woke up 

Regardless, even though the PFA POTY process might be biased, it's still an incredible achievement. Like the fact that messi and Ronaldo have 5 balon d'Or each, do they deserve that many? Maybe not, but you don't get that honor by being an average footballer. 

Edited by Redouane

On 2/14/2018 at 11:41, FIF said:

So you'd be unable to conclude that Stan Matthews was the best best player to have played for Blackpool ?

2 minutes ago, PaulW said:

So you'd be unable to conclude that Stan Matthews was the best best player to have played for Blackpool ?

I'd have to say that Riyad Mahrez is.