Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Big Interview - Emile Heskey - FFT

Dare I say (in the end) he didn’t quite achieve the greatness expected of him, he burst into the side full of energy, power and speed a real talent, defenders would have a nightmare trying to mark him, he was a proper handful and that time with us, partnering either  Claridge, Collymore, Cottee or Marshall provided some of my best City memories ever, very sad when he left to join Liverpool because it brought the end to the MON era.

Always will be a favourite of mine, good player, great man.

59 minutes ago, string the Eskimo said:

Why? it was a reference to him looking like the Boxer Frank Bruno.

Because the only resemblance he has to Frank Bruno is that he’s big and black. It’s a caricature born out of lazy racism. 

• Like 2

Agree with the Bruno chat, never liked it at the time (and I was only about 16) and seems even more old fashioned and odd now.  And, as someone else has stated, I read an interview with the man himself saying he didn't like it.

With regards to his play, I really think he would have been a lot more appreciated today with all the talk of tactics and lots more "experts" out there talking about what players actually do.  I remember at times when he was with us he would look absolutely unstoppable.  Now and then he would turn it on and just go through people, he was insane.  But he could never keep it up and his game evolved into more of a link player (a role he performed very well).  As others have said, I have heard lots of strikers say they loved playing with him.  Also, his middle name is Ivanhoe which is literally the greatest thing ever.

X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2