Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Big Interview - Emile Heskey - FFT

• 6 months later...

Just searching the forum and can't quite believe Heskey only has one thread on the entire site in which he is named in the thread title.  Seems a shame.  Just stumbled upon this podcast....

Will always love the big guy, so underrated.  In many ways he is like a proto Okazaki.  XX

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Agree - I always hated it: felt it made Leicester fans look thick and borderline rascist.

A generic witless response to a bloke whose only similarity to Frank Bruno was being big and black. 

Thought it was dumb and unpleasant and pretty insulting to a Leicester lad who was great for us.

And Heskey hated it himself.....

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Massively underrated too. Scored 20+ in his first full season at Liverpool, and then successive managers just used him as a target man / link man. A job he still did very well without complaint.

This. Also anyone that he partnered up front both for club and country such as Tony Cottee, Michael Owen etc will all tell you how much they liked playing with him alongside them. Unfairly critised by many for not scoring enough goals but his stats are better than the general perception, but he scared defenders to death with his sheer size and pace and was excellent at dragging them out of position which created so many openings for others. A very selfless player who always did his best for whichever team he was playing for.  I will always remember jimmy greaves refusing to believe that he was only 17 years old when he first burst on to the scene. There was this absolute monster of a man creating mayhem when everyone was expecting some stringy teenager.

1 minute ago, urban fox said:

This. Also anyone that he partnered up front both for club and country such as Tony Cottee, Michael Owen etc will all tell you how much they liked playing with him alongside them. Unfairly critised by many for not scoring enough goals but his stats are better than the general perception, but he scared defenders to death with his sheer size and pace and was excellent at dragging them out of position which created so many openings for others. A very selfless player who always did his best for whichever team he was playing for.  I will always remember jimmy greaves refusing to believe that he was only 17 years old when he first burst on to the scene. There was this absolute monster of a man creating mayhem when everyone was expecting some stringy teenager.

My non-Leicester supporting mates would always scoff at me for buying Heskey at our annual Fantasy League auctions. But the assists would always stack up. Bunch of football snobs.

23 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Agree - I always hated it: felt it made Leicester fans look thick and borderline rascist.

A generic witless response to a bloke whose only similarity to Frank Bruno was being big and black. 

Thought it was dumb and unpleasant and pretty insulting to a Leicester lad who was great for us.

My apologies, there was no racism intended with my post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, copunk said:

Sorry mate, I wasn’t aiming my comment at you. I know you were just quoting what we used to sing. 

I was really making a comment about how things we did a while back look out if place these days. Like 70s ITV comedies and Fantasy Football and the Jason Lee stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could barely knock Leicester’s Heskey off the ball, which I always loved seeing. At Liverpool he spent a lot of time going to turf, which really frustrated me even if I did get the stats thing about the importance of winning free kicks. 

Edited by SydenhamFox

43 minutes ago, copunk said:

Wasn't having a go at you - it's  what we associate with that player at that time after all - it's just the chant itself that always made me feel uneasy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

Massively under appreciated by clueless twats and memers. 

Great player

Him between 1996 and 2003 was a top striker. Not too prolific but at times it took three defenders to stop him. The perfect foil for players like Claridge, Cottee, Owen and Fowler (who all say how important he was).

56 minutes ago, Corky said:

Him between 1996 and 2003 was a top striker. Not too prolific but at times it took three defenders to stop him. The perfect foil for players like Claridge, Cottee, Owen and Fowler (who all say how important he was).

Every striker he played with had him down as their best ever strike partner.

He normally played alongside goalscorers and with his pace, aggression, work rate, unselfishness and intelligence made him a dream partner. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Leicester fans will always be grateful to you for handing over £100,000 to help save the club in 2002 – why did you get involved?  

Louise Tucker, Leicester

Without Leicester, there would’ve been no Emile Heskey. That’s how I looked at it and I really wanted to help the club. When Gary Lineker got the consortium together I thought, ‘Why not?’ and put some money in. Ultimately we wanted to stave off administration, and it helped. It’s safe to say they have had some good days since!

He put in a bit more than that, but that was his initial donation when the consortium was first arranged.

Shame those that were part of the consortium (including many reputable local companies) hadn't been recognised much more, especially before Pearson came in; as highly doubt the club would've achieved as much success as it has under Vichai (RIP) and Top etc without getting out of a very precarious position back then due to these individuals.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He put in a bit more than that, but that was his initial donation when the consortium was first arranged.

Shame those that were part of the consortium (including many reputable local companies) hadn't been recognised much more, especially before Pearson came in; as highly doubt the club would've achieved as much success as it has under Vichai (RIP) and Top etc without getting out of a very precarious position back then due to these individuals.

Including the many fans that contributed to the £151,000 that the Foxes Trust put into the club and became the 14th largest shareholder in the club, that level of investment was actually greater than Gary Lineker and Emile

Destroyed Sensini in his first 45 minutes of international football, one of the best England debuts I have ever seen. It was a bit sad how the media gave him a hard time at points, because he was as good a support striker as you could wish to have, and it was generally the managers fault if the tactical shape usually kept Emile outside the box.

I take satisfaction that some black players are brave enough to speak up these days, because some of the abuse Heskey got when playing for England away was truly epic.

• Like 1