Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Favourite Depressing Album

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Leonard Cohen - Live songs.  I love his work but many find it depressing.  This is the track from the album that has stuck in my mind for decades.

Wonderful stuff, Crinkly. I didn't know that one. Worthy of half a dozen rep points, that one.

I'd say that some of his work is sad, melancholic, even just plain facing reality. But sadness and melancholy can be satisfying, enriching, expressive.....not depressing.

I know Cohen gets labeled "depressing" but I can only think that label is applied by people scared of emotions or real life. I remember something written on a Soft Cell record years ago: "Wallow deep!"

He can also be ecstatic, poetic, beautiful, ironic, even downright funny, as I'm sure you know.

One of very few artistes for whom the label of "genius" is justified, I think. I feel good now, knowing that there's a whole lot of his work that I don't know yet. :thumbup:

• Like 1