Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Favourite Depressing Album

Hi there

After a conversation in a recent thread I thought I would ask what people's favourite depressing albums are?  I would rather do full albums than individual songs.

Only given it a couple of minutes thought but a few of mine are......

Image result for eels electro shock blues

Image result for tindersticks second album

Image result for magic and loss

XXX

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Hi there

After a conversation in a recent thread I thought I would ask what people's favourite depressing albums are?  I would rather do full albums than individual songs.

Only given it a couple of minutes thought but a few of mine are......

Image result for eels electro shock blues

Image result for tindersticks second album

Image result for magic and loss

XXX

Buddy I'm thinking of starting a GoFundMe page to raise the funds to get you out of Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, David Guiza said:

Image result for unknown pleasures

It's hard to look past Joy Division really.  I rememebr seeing an interview with Hooky and he said they all read Ian's lyrics on Closer and didn't think too hard about them then after he killed himself they listened again and thought "shit, he meant it".

X

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

It's hard to look past Joy Division really.  I rememebr seeing an interview with Hooky and he said they all read Ian's lyrics on Closer and didn't think too hard about them then after he killed himself they listened again and thought "shit, he meant it".

X

Yeah, similar to Kurt Cobain in some respects I guess in terms of the pre-emptive lyrics. Still find it utterly mind blowing that he was just 23 at the time too. Have you ever seen Control? Such a brilliant film. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah, similar to Kurt Cobain in some respects I guess in terms of the pre-emptive lyrics. Still find it utterly mind blowing that he was just 23 at the time too. Have you ever seen Control? Such a brilliant film. 

I agree.  At 23 I was basically a child.  I find it amaizng that most great albums are written by peoplpe in their 20s.  I couldn't even do anything now as I approach 40.  Yeah, great film.  I remember I got the Heart & Soul Boxset with pretty much all of their songs on when I was at uni and it became my best friend.  I don't really listen to them much now but I still think Atmosphere is my favourite song ever recorded by anyone.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

Love both the band and the albums but August & Everything After & Recovering the Satellites by Counting Crows always get me.

Also Comfort in Sound by Feeder, released in the shadow of Jon Lee committing suicide.

Edited by pds
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rocket-Ron said:

88f5cd6e4b654aa647d404c36b9489d9.jpg

I will be the angel on your shoulder

My name is Geraldine I'm your social worker

Saw them a few times when I lived in Glasgow. That first album is amazing. I bought it on vinyl when it came out then gave it to a pal now it's worth quite a bit which makes it an even more depressing album. X 

Image result for johnny cash v#

Any of his American Series.  But this album contains his last recordings right up to his death.  I think it was about a month before he died & a couple of months after his wife had died.  His voice is weak & you can tell he's on his last legs.  Absolutely heart wrenching.

• Like 4

Most of what's played on popular radio is pretty depressing.

Read upon the "dumbing down" of music in terms of lyrics and composition:

https://www.mic.com/articles/98310/scientists-prove-that-pop-music-is-literally-ruining-our-brains

On a serious note:

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Brilliant, but also brilliantly emotional, sadl and depressive to some extent. Tends to the melancholic and bittersweet.

Radiohead