Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Favourite Depressing Album

I find it interesting that you list GSYBE. 

Not interesting as in I disagree but I don't think I agree either. It's a funny one isn't it? I imagine their music triggers quite a broad range of responses, whilst less obvious than Joy Division or the Smiths I absolutely see how you'd find it depressing. 

But it's not music that triggers that in me. Maybe I listen to it when I'm depressed though? 

I have said before that I want to die listening to the movement Sleep from Skinny Fists, during some of my more ill periods I've even fantasised about committing suicide whilst listening to that record (I'm fine now) yet I'd still consider it uplifting. 

Hmm. 

Ps: East Hastings is one of my favourite ever instrumental pieces ? there's something about the large barge / radio antenna sample that absolutely fascinates me. It makes me want to write a horror / mystery drama pretty much purely off that one clip. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Not interesting as in I disagree but I don't think I agree either. It's a funny one isn't it? I imagine their music triggers quite a broad range of responses, whilst less obvious than Joy Division or the Smiths I absolutely see how you'd find it depressing. 

But it's not music that triggers that in me. Maybe I listen to it when I'm depressed though? 

I have said before that I want to die listening to the movement Sleep from Skinny Fists, during some of my more ill periods I've even fantasised about committing suicide whilst listening to that record (I'm fine now) yet I'd still consider it uplifting. 

Hmm. 

Ps: East Hastings is one of my favourite ever instrumental pieces ? there's something about the large barge / radio antenna sample that absolutely fascinates me. It makes me want to write a horror / mystery drama pretty much purely off that one clip. 

Great post.  I agree "depressing" is an interesting term and can be found in all forms of music.  There are not many things that really instill in me a great sense of hopelessness.  Most music on this list (including the ones I have put forward) are songs about sad/depressing things but some music physically makes me depressed.  But in a good way.  A lot of Scott Walker's more recent stuff does and that song "O Superman" by Laurie Sanderson fills me with a sense of complete hopelessness even though it isn't necessarily depressing.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

It's funny. I have a playlist on my spotify that I made when I was feeling particularly low, it absolutely ruins me. It's all quite sad and brooding but I'm not sure I'd call any of it depressing as such. To me, depressing has a sort of dour, as you put it, hopelessness to it.

I mean, here's an example of a song that I consider to be "sad" that's on my "sad" playlist for when I am actually depressed:

But I don't think I'd describe the song as depressing, I think I'd even say it's sweet?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's funny. I have a playlist on my spotify that I made when I was feeling particularly low, it absolutely ruins me. It's all quite sad and brooding but I'm not sure I'd call any of it depressing as such. To me, depressing has a sort of dour, as you put it, hopelessness to it.

I mean, here's an example of a song that I consider to be "sad" that's on my "sad" playlist for when I am actually depressed:

But I don't think I'd describe the song as depressing, I think I'd even say it's sweet?

Very sad to hear that you get depressed sometimes. Total ignorance on my part on the subject but I am interested in why you would listen to a song like that when you're low. Or even have a sad playlist at all. I'm not trying to be clever btw 

Edited by Soup

16 minutes ago, Soup said:

Very sad to hear that you get depressed sometimes. Total ignorance on my part on the subject but I am interested in why you would listen to a song like that when you're low. Or even have a sad playlist at all. I'm not trying to be clever btw 

I believe the term is wallowing lol

11 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Hmm. 

I did think about it hard... it doesn't make me depressed. Listening to the crap that gets played over and over and over on Gem FM at work makes me depressed - there's only so much Sam Smith and Jess Glynne I can stand. 

I subscribe to something Julianne Regan said when she was lead singer of All About Eve and asked about their songs being melancholy, "I listen to sad songs and it makes me realise other people are worse off than me, so I don't feel so bad. It's negative positivity."

So "sad" music isn't necessarily depressing, but "bad" music... oh man, kill me now!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2019 at 12:00, Dr Marco said:

Elliott Smith

Oddly, the Dreamworks stuff - XO and Figure 8 are the most upbeat but capture him at his most tortured period. Elliot Smith had a knack of concealing the most harrowing autobiographical and introspective lyrics behind the illusion of a memorable or catchy tune. 

Roman Candle is ****ing bleak. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

Came in to post Pink Moon. One of the few albums where I can tangibly feel the sadness of the artist. 

Couldn't agree more. 

An abundance of melancholic posturing out there and present on this thread. 

Ian Curtis, Elliot Smith. Nick Drake...as a listener, the despair is overwhelming - heart wrenching. 

gcqeq1aic0p01.thumb.jpg.50a9d53b30b95372d30a894c6981d467.jpg

The new Thom Yorke album is an absolute mood killer.

amazing album on your own with a pair of headphones on in a dark room it’s brilliant.

put it on in a group of people and everyone will be googling the Samaritans after about 10mins

special mention for Frightend Rabbit the midnight organ fight. Scott was an amazing lyricist but when you listen to this album in particular floating in the forth knowing that his where his body was found after he killed himself in 2018 it’s a tough listen but a brilliant album

• 4 weeks later...