Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Wes and Fuchs sign contract extension!

16 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

These extensions have cheered me up hugely. The club is looking after players, the transition process is smoothed/slowed by a year, thus buying everyone time, and the fact that Jakupovic and Mendy have signed should be telling that this is a club people are spoken to and dealt with in a respectful way, and their value communicated to them.

One might cynically suggest that such players won't get better offers elsewhere - and maybe that's true - but having a 3rd keeper of that quality and a midfielder of Mendy's quality willing to fulfil a crucial (and it is crucial - what could be worse than a player causing issues behind the scenes?) sacrificial role, albeit well paid no doubt, means reliance on the starting X! is reduced and one less player had to be replaced. For all that we need Vardy/Maddison brilliance, we also need solid pros like Mendy, Morgan and Albrighton who will absolutely give everything and not whinge in between times.

X! ? :ph34r:

Agree entirely with your sentiments, although as I understand it Mendy has only extended his contract until the end of this season?

35 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Agree entirely with your sentiments, although as I understand it Mendy has only extended his contract until the end of this season?

You're right, and he didn't have to, he would have been within his rights to turn away and get a free. He's not done that, and that tells me an awful lot both about him and the club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're right, and he didn't have to, he would have been within his rights to turn away and get a free. He's not done that, and that tells me an awful lot both about him and the club.

Yes agree. He's been unfortunate with his injuries which have stalled his career somewhat but as far as I know he's never been anything other than a model pro whilst with us. He has never let us down and has usually played quite well when called upon.

I would be quite happy to see him stay beyond this season but would understand if he wanted to move on for a fresh challenge with more game time.

If he is leaving it would be great for him score his first goal for us before the end of this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Actually a clever move by both him and the club. With the five subs rule, he is bound to get some game time, either to rest Wilf or to go 2 DM if defending a lead etc. This gives him the opportunity to show what he can do either to secure a new deal or put him in the shop window. Either way it is win-win for both parties. Also it guarantees him a few weeks more wages, which he would miss out on until he found another club if he left. (in these hard times i can see a lot of buying clubs leaving it as late as possible to sign new players to defer their wages)

• Like 3

Have to say despite his injuries Mandy has been pretty much decent everytime he’s played for us! I think especially he’s looked a better player under Rodgers in the few games he has player. I think you do usually have a couple of older ones that know they weren’t play and a couple of injury prone players to fill the squad and they don’t moan and have a good attitude! We have that with Morgan and Fuchs and I would give Mendy a contract. I don’t usually like players that have injury problems but he seems to come in a do a job and look like an accomplished player