Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Wes and Fuchs sign contract extension!

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

Johansson looks about as good as Iversen, is he the next one to get stuck in our U23s without going on loan? 

Jakupovic is a weird one, you'd think that 3rd keeper spot would be the easiest one to maximise use of our club trained quota for CL

Is a really odd one, unless he offers more behind the scenes than we know of.

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The club want 3 experienced keepers. 

Its simply about having an experienced back up for the back up in case one gets injured, with potentially more games next season. 

Jakupovic knows the drill, he’s been here for 3 years and played twice. 

15 hours ago, bovril said:

Fuchs is never leaving is he? 

Would have loved to hear that phone call to his wife......"I'll be a bit late, love,,,,"

"What, - AGAIN!!"

Edited by PaulW
typo

1 hour ago, Bert said:

The club want 3 experienced keepers. 

Its simply about having an experienced back up for the back up in case one gets injured, with potentially more games next season. 

Jakupovic knows the drill, he’s been here for 3 years and played twice. 

Just shows how impossible it is to break through here though as a keeper

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Johansson looks about as good as Iversen, is he the next one to get stuck in our U23s without going on loan? 

Jakupovic is a weird one, you'd think that 3rd keeper spot would be the easiest one to maximise use of our club trained quota for CL

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

id imagine they are both going out on loan...  Rotherham  got promoted so a chance for iversen to play championship?

2 hours ago, PaulW said:

Would have loved to hear that phone call to his wife......"I'll be a bit late, love,,,,"

"What, - AGAIN!!"

Yeah you know how it is............ went for a couple of beers with the lads next thing i know its 2021.

• Haha 1

These extensions have cheered me up hugely. The club is looking after players, the transition process is smoothed/slowed by a year, thus buying everyone time, and the fact that Jakupovic and Mendy have signed should be telling that this is a club people are spoken to and dealt with in a respectful way, and their value communicated to them.

One might cynically suggest that such players won't get better offers elsewhere - and maybe that's true - but having a 3rd keeper of that quality and a midfielder of Mendy's quality willing to fulfil a crucial (and it is crucial - what could be worse than a player causing issues behind the scenes?) sacrificial role, albeit well paid no doubt, means reliance on the starting X! is reduced and one less player had to be replaced. For all that we need Vardy/Maddison brilliance, we also need solid pros like Mendy, Morgan and Albrighton who will absolutely give everything and not whinge in between times.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I love Fuchs and Wes, but I really would rather we weren't counting on them for on-field contributions past this season.  Christian has obvious technical ability and he can still play if the opponent has no pace - he's a great option for cup matches.  But Morgan is really past it.

Maybe it's already been said but, they could be impact subs as defenders when we're up against it. Agreed, their pace has gone but their experience and commitment are beyond question. They will be used mainly to encourage and support the likes of Mendy and whoever else plays CB/LCB. Their collective playing experience will be invaluable to us and whoever got them to sign extended contracts has done a good job IMO.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Just shows how impossible it is to break through here though as a keeper

It’s not just here though is it, Dean Henderson has a great case to be England’s number 1 yet will never break through whilst De Gea is there. The last keeper to break through at a top prem club was probably Joe Hart? The smaller prem clubs might have a young keeper breakthrough like at Bournemouth but it’s very rare it happens in the prem as most want experience or world class. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I guess Jakupovic signing an extension all but guarantees Iverson is going to be heading out on loan to the championship. 

I wonder if a deal to continue at Rotherham has already been agreed. 

Would make sense! He was getting good reviews, follows similar path to Barnes in that quality improves yearly!

17 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I love Fuchs and Wes, but I really would rather we weren't counting on them for on-field contributions past this season.  Christian has obvious technical ability and he can still play if the opponent has no pace - he's a great option for cup matches.  But Morgan is really past it.

Which one of the 7 games he started this season are you basing that on?

Because we won all 7 including a 2-1 at West ham in the league and we kept clean sheets in 3 of them. 

Obviously at 36 he's not in his prime but he won't let anyone down in the cups or as cover and hasn't this season!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Which one of the 7 games he started this season are you basing that on?

Because we won all 7 including a 2-1 at West ham in the league and we kept clean sheets in 3 of them. 

Obviously at 36 he's not in his prime but he won't let anyone down in the cups or as cover and hasn't this season!

I’m basing it on watching him play.  His pace is gone and he’s always trying to catch up to the game.  There were numerous near-disasters when he was on the pitch and, frankly, we were lucky in a lot of those games.  Against lower division sides in cup matches?  In a pinch, fine.  But I don’t think we should be in a position to need him to step in a league game, because I don’t think he’s up to it unless we’re facing an opponent with zero pace up front.

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I’m basing it on watching him play.  His pace is gone and he’s always trying to catch up to the game.  There were numerous near-disasters when he was on the pitch and, frankly, we were lucky in a lot of those games.  Against lower division sides in cup matches?  In a pinch, fine.  But I don’t think we should be in a position to need him to step in a league game, because I don’t think he’s up to it unless we’re facing an opponent with zero pace up front.

So no specific examples of bad games or mistakes?

10 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I guess Jakupovic signing an extension all but guarantees Iverson is going to be heading out on loan to the championship. 

I wonder if a deal to continue at Rotherham has already been agreed. 

Iverson had a good season at Rotherham. Another move there would be decent for all parties again as he'd be at a higher level.

11 hours ago, Bert said:

It’s not just here though is it, Dean Henderson has a great case to be England’s number 1 yet will never break through whilst De Gea is there. The last keeper to break through at a top prem club was probably Joe Hart? The smaller prem clubs might have a young keeper breakthrough like at Bournemouth but it’s very rare it happens in the prem as most want experience or world class. 

Yeah it really is difficult and its a strange gig being a goalkeeper. You are often in a situation where you are the 2nd best goalkeeper at a club but your club has to pick back up and 3rd choice keepers of less quality to loan you out to gain the experience to then step in at number 1 if it works out that way. I think keepers should only be allowed to play 30 mins each and you have 5 to choose from 😂

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah it really is difficult and its a strange gig being a goalkeeper. You are often in a situation where you are the 2nd best goalkeeper at a club but your club has to pick back up and 3rd choice keepers of less quality to loan you out to gain the experience to then step in at number 1 if it works out that way. I think keepers should only be allowed to play 30 mins each and you have 5 to choose from 😂

Henderson is the bollocks. If Man U want to retain him they perhaps need to sell De Gea in the next year or two for a large sum and cash in. Can’t see it happening though. 

I really think with Henderson they have an issue. After a PL loan like he’s had - he’ll need to go out again somewhere really as he won’t be happy on the bench. 

If SU get him for another year they will be over the moon.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see Jakupović given a new contract but wonder if there is another angle here - perhaps Ward is looking to move on, he’s getting just as much game time here as he did at Liverpool so could understand if he was planning a move

Edited by Mehrez

22 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Henderson is the bollocks. If Man U want to retain him they perhaps need to sell De Gea in the next year or two for a large sum and cash in. Can’t see it happening though. 

I really think with Henderson they have an issue. After a PL loan like he’s had - he’ll need to go out again somewhere really as he won’t be happy on the bench. 

If SU get him for another year they will be over the moon.

They missed the boat on flogging De Gea, he is on such huge wages they are stuck with him. They also can't pay a goalkeeper £350k a week to sit on the bench either, they are a shit show of a club. Hate them.