Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Why I Love...

If there’s one thing old Bellend enjoys more than talking about himself in the third person, it’s this many splendored thing we call music.

With so many different types, ranging from indie, rock, to indie rock, there really is something for everyone.

In this glorious age of digital music, it’s never been easier or cheaper to decide that you don’t like something, unlike in my day when spending a hard earned sixpence on the latest Edison wax phonograph cylinder was an investment that I was damn well going to get my money’s worth from.

I thought wouldn’t it be lots of fun, as well as more time consuming, if, instead of putting up Youtube videos for us to watch 3 seconds of before dismissing as shit, we wrote a little bit about the music we love in an effort to share our joy and innermost passion with those we are most indifferent about, and then post it on the relevant subsection of the fan forum of a provincial English football team before having this rejected by our peers as being of no value.

I’m going to start the ball rolling by telling you all about my love for – wait for it – erstwhile indie-rock combo British Sea Power.  Bet you cannot wait, but thank goodness, there’s no need to.

I thank you

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If there’s one thing old Bellend enjoys more than talking about himself in the third person, it’s this many splendored thing we call music.

With so many different types, ranging from indie, rock, to indie rock, there really is something for everyone.

In this glorious age of digital music, it’s never been easier or cheaper to decide that you don’t like something, unlike in my day when spending a hard earned sixpence on the latest Edison wax phonograph cylinder was an investment that I was damn well going to get my money’s worth from.

I thought wouldn’t it be lots of fun, as well as more time consuming, if, instead of putting up Youtube videos for us to watch 3 seconds of before dismissing as shit, we wrote a little bit about the music we love in an effort to share our joy and innermost passion with those we are most indifferent about, and then post it on the relevant subsection of the fan forum of a provincial English football team before having this rejected by our peers as being of no value.

I’m going to start the ball rolling by telling you all about my love for – wait for it – erstwhile indie-rock combo British Sea Power.  Bet you cannot wait, but thank goodness, there’s no need to.

I thank you

The Decline of BSP album is a cracker. Lately is 14 minutes of guitar glory.

The 2 bands I have lots of love for are Rsdiohead and Spiritualized. Been fans of both since the mid 90s. Still have the Creep cassette single from before MTV made it famous. Paranoid Android is a work of genius.

Spiritualized I first got into after hearing an instrumental version of Spread Your Wings on a free cassette selotaped to Select magazine (or maybe Q or NME. So many freebies back in the 90s).

Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, and OK Computer are classics I still listen to this day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

… The Strokes. 

Basically discovered the band after buying their debut album. Still think their music saved rock music at the start of the 00’s decade lol They came along just at the right time for me, after the hangover of the britpop era -  rock and alternative needed some new faces. A room on fire, the follow up to ‘is this it’ is just as good but then the couple of albums after that didn’t really catch on to many people despite some decent tracks. 

Then after years they came back with a new album in 2020 and pretty much saved me during lockdown. Wouldn’t even want to guess how many hours I’ve spent listening to these guys tbf but they’re always the top of my Spotify wrapped every year by a milelol 

Just one example but hope it gets the ball rolling in the thread @Bellend Sebastian

Edited by goody2028
  • Like 1

The Libertines - Time For Heroes

came out in 2002, in the revival of guitar rock bands like the strokes, the vines, the hives...etc

was 18 years old when it came out, bought the cd without having been able to listen to hit, just because I read a good review in a French music magazine

remember being completely blown away after a few spins

it quickly became my favorite album ever

I still listen to it every week and this song "time for heroes" is like my anthem

they're the band that motivated me to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it

it's been my companion of life for 20 years now, in good times and shit times

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

… The Strokes. 

Basically discovered the band after buying their debut album. Still think their music saved rock music at the start of the 00’s decade lol They came along just at the right time for me, after the hangover of the britpop era -  rock and alternative needed some new faces. A room on fire, the follow up to ‘is this it’ is just as good but then the couple of albums after that didn’t really catch on to many people despite some decent tracks. 

Then after years they came back with a new album in 2020 and pretty much saved me during lockdown. Wouldn’t even want to guess how many hours I’ve spent listening to these guys tbf but they’re always the top of my Spotify wrapped every year by a milelol 

Just one example but hope it gets the ball rolling in the thread @Bellend Sebastian

I am humbled that you've indulged me in this way, especially as I felt much the same way about The Strokes in the early 00s. I should check out their latest effort.

Don't hide your light under a Bushel, goody2028, give further contributions their own thread!

10 minutes ago, Dr Marco said:

The Libertines - Time For Heroes

came out in 2002, in the revival of guitar rock bands like the strokes, the vines, the hives...etc

was 18 years old when it came out, bought the cd without having been able to listen to hit, just because I read a good review in a French music magazine

remember being completely blown away after a few spins

it quickly became my favorite album ever

I still listen to it every week and this song "time for heroes" is like my anthem

they're the band that motivated me to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it

it's been my companion of life for 20 years now, in good times and shit times

They were ace weren't they? I know past tense isn't really appropriate here but I mean when they first broke through and it was all jolly energetic chaos before anybody died or went to prison.

I always liked that thing with the music where there's something slightly all over the place about it and the wheels might fall off at any moment - Don't Look Back Into The Sun is my favourite for that.

I also like that they used to make a lot of people furious,

• Like 1

The Beatles (obviously :rolleyes:)

I wasn't really into music that much when I was young but I once played the Beatles #1 album. Got me hooked straight away, in fact I'd heard a few songs that I didn't even realise they'd written!

All stemmed from there, red and blue albums were the next ones I played (I remember hearing 'A Day In The Life' on there and it not sounding like anything I've ever heard). Then I started on the studio albums.

Never stopped since. Listen to them everyday and can't get enough.

It is a bit of a joke on here but I do absolutely love them. Doesn't matter if I feel happy or sad, their music makes me feel better which is what it's all about really.

• Like 2