Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Squad Depth

7 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Yeah I know and it makes it impossible to get rid, Slim too really. Why would they want to go anywhere whilst taking that kind of salary 😭

This was the main problem with Silva last summer I believe, he wanted to go back to Sporting and they wanted him but because of the wages it was pretty much impossible

Hopefully the link of him going to Russia is true as they usually pay some big wages out there so should take most of if not all of it off us

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I agree they all need to go (actually they can't be recalled at any time, only during windows).

But the original point from SheppyFox was that they 'dont see us bringing 8 in'. We don't need to bring in players to replace those players we don't use.

If they are loaned out because they aren't good enough or like James's situation then they are effectively dead wood. BR wants a slim squad and in our position you can only do that with selling those players to recruit more. We need to recruit better players with EL and PL with a slim squad. I need we need 4/5 players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If they are loaned out because they aren't good enough or like James's situation then they are effectively dead wood. BR wants a slim squad and in our position you can only do that with selling those players to recruit more. We need to recruit better players with EL and PL with a slim squad. I need we need 4/5 players.

I don't disagree with this whatsoever and you appear to have missed my point.

Silva, Slimani, Diabate and Ghezzal all need to go if the club can find buyers, and yes of course that helps us financially. But Sheppy has included those players on a list of 8 we need to get rid of AND replace. But there's no room in a 25 man squad to replace four players that weren't in last season's squad in the first place!

James and Amartey likewise should go if they can find takers. Bennett has already gone. Gray or Iheanacho could follow. So that creates the room to bring in those 4/5 additions, particularly if Chilwell goes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I don't disagree with this whatsoever and you appear to have missed my point.

Silva, Slimani, Diabate and Ghezzal all need to go if the club can find buyers, and yes of course that helps us financially. But Sheppy has included those players on a list of 8 we need to get rid of AND replace. But there's no room in a 25 man squad to replace four players that weren't in last season's squad in the first place!

James and Amartey likewise should go if they can find takers. Bennett has already gone. Gray or Iheanacho could follow. So that creates the room to bring in those 4/5 additions, particularly if Chilwell goes.

I haven't missed your point. There are James/Silva/Slimani/diabate. That's 4 players within the current 25 man sqaud. Irrespective of loan/squad players its transfer season and there's no excuse for the club to not act. If our aspirations i.e. training ground/Europe/top 6-7 prem then we need to sort those players and aim higher.

Just now, UHDrive said:

I haven't missed your point. There are James/Silva/Slimani/diabate. That's 4 players within the current 25 man sqaud. Irrespective of loan/squad players its transfer season and there's no excuse for the club to not act. If our aspirations i.e. training ground/Europe/top 6-7 prem then we need to sort those players and aim higher.

No, you really have missed my point.

Silva, Slimani and Diabate weren't in the 25 man squad for the second half of the season.

All of them were out on loan. 

• Like 1

Just now, jeffschlupp said:

No, you really have missed my point.

Silva, Slimani and Diabate weren't in the 25 man squad for the second half of the season.

All of them were out on loan. 

it doesn't matter! It's the transfer window! Try to forward think and stay happy 😊 

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach

If we can't find ( or afford) a new experienced striker , we may have to use Slimani to see out his contract. We know he is a poor fit with Vardy but then they don't have to be on the pitch at the same time. He does score goals and he is big so that offers something different , especially against continental teams. Hopefully in the next year Hirst will come  on and if he does we will have saved ourselves a lot of money.

Edited by An Sionnach

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Just been reading an article in the mercury re who Rodgers is looking to offload:

Kaputska

Diabate

Ghezzal

Big Dan Amartey

James

Slim

Ghezzal

Benkovic

We ain’t half signed some bloody rubbish in recent years. Like most clubs I guess. Tbh I had no idea Diabate was still on the books!

Surprised that Silva's missing (I'm sure that's a mistake - Ghezzal is on twice) and that Benkovic is on the list. Benko being listed is a bit concerning. I thought he might be part of the squad this season, but if he's not, that leaves us with just Evans and Soyuncu (and an elderly Wes) as our CB options. We're going to have to bring 2 in minimum this window if Benko is off.

It is a big ol' bomb squad. Slimani and Silva are the biggest wage-drainers, and they're in the last year of their contracts. It will make a big difference when they're finally gone. Of course, we might sign another stinker to replace any of these, but if we can avoid it, this is how much we can free up over the next couple of years;

Contract ends...

Slimani - £80k p/w

Silva - £80k p/w

Kapustka - £30k p/w

Total - £190k p/w

Ghezzal - £45k p/w

Diabate - £15k p/w

Amartey - £21k p/w

James - £32k p/w

Total - £113k p/w

Benkovic - £30k p/w?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

James and Amartey I agree with, but the next four weren't here last season, so they don't need replacing.

Jakupovic is third GK and won't play a minute, why does he need replacing?

Jakupovic signed a new one year deal didnt he?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Surprised that Silva's missing (I'm sure that's a mistake - Ghezzal is on twice) and that Benkovic is on the list. Benko being listed is a bit concerning. I thought he might be part of the squad this season, but if he's not, that leaves us with just Evans and Soyuncu (and an elderly Wes) as our CB options. We're going to have to bring 2 in minimum this window if Benko is off.

It is a big ol' bomb squad. Slimani and Silva are the biggest wage-drainers, and they're in the last year of their contracts. It will make a big difference when they're finally gone. Of course, we might sign another stinker to replace any of these, but if we can avoid it, this is how much we can free up over the next couple of years;

Contract ends...

Slimani - £80k p/w

Silva - £80k p/w

Kapustka - £30k p/w

Total - £190k p/w

Ghezzal - £45k p/w

Diabate - £15k p/w

Amartey - £21k p/w

James - £32k p/w

Total - £113k p/w

Benkovic - £30k p/w?

Those numbers are likely to be way off - Amartey signed a new contract at the start of last year, he'll be on far more than that.

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

Those numbers are likely to be way off - Amartey signed a new contract at the start of last year, he'll be on far more than that.

Ah, right. Didn't realise that. Still, the main ones are Slimani and Silva, and I'm pretty sure they won't be getting another contract. Fingers crossed, anyway.

42 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

To be honest its probably not far from reality, the only one the could probably be off is Amartey, depending on what he got with his new contract, but I can't imagine they would've given him a huge wage increase whilst having a serious injury, if it is wrong he won't be on any more than £50k

With FFP and wage control rules etc. players wages will be reported somewhere and it wouldn't take much for people in the industry to find out what players are earning, you see it all the time what players are getting with new deals etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

To be honest its probably not far from reality, the only one the could probably be off is Amartey, depending on what he got with his new contract, but I can't imagine they would've given him a huge wage increase whilst having a serious injury, if it is wrong he won't be on any more than £50k

With FFP and wage control rules etc. players wages will be reported somewhere and it wouldn't take much for people in the industry to find out what players are earning, you see it all the time what players are getting with new deals etc.

FFP only deals with the wage budget as a whole, though.

Even the figures that emerge when players sign new deals can be wrong - even with Maddison I've seen 95 and 110k a week quoted by different sources.

A lot of it is pure guesswork - you'll notice websites like Spotrac have Hamza Choudhury and Harvey Barnes still on 7.5/10k a week - that's at least 12 months outdated considering both signed new ones last summer.

Despite all that, the point still stands that it would be great to shift those big earners. 160k a week for Slimani and Silva is over £8m in wages alone for the season, quite staggering really.

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

I found another source. The only ones that were way off are Amartey and Ghezzal. Says Dan's on £55k p/w, but didn't get an extension - still ends 2022. Says Ghezzal is only on £25k p/w. Also says James' £35k p/w contract ends next summer, not 2022. The only other difference was it said Silva is on £85k p/w, not £80k. All the other details were the same. If this source is right, then we're better off overall.

Guest An Sionnach
27 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He's going to only have players shorter than him in the squad. 

Shaqiri is on his way then. Actually he is one shorty who would do a good job for us. He has a championship and champions league medal now so more playing time might suit him.

Edited by An Sionnach