Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Squad Depth

5 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

22 outfield players and three keepers is perfectly reasonable and adequate. It’s not the numbers for me, it’s the quality within that. We had the numbers, just not the quality in depth which let us down in the end

Exactly this, the problem is for me there’s at a rough guess 8 players that are of no use to us anymore.. I don’t see us bringing 8 in 🧐 

• Thanks 1

Why is Matty James still at Leicester City?? It is strange that he’s still employed by the club. He’s only played one season in 5 flipping years !! Bad business that !! Get rid. He can go to someone in the championship like Derby County or Nottingham Forest and warm their bench there, plus he wouldn’t have to move house. Maybe Cov??

On 06/08/2020 at 14:10, jeffschlupp said:

Here's what I think the squad will almost certainly look like by October 5.

A starting XI of:

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Söyüncü (Chilwell/LB)

Ndidi

Tielemans Maddison

(RW) Vardy Barnes

With a 'second string' of:

Ward

Justin Morgan (CB) Fuchs

Mendy

Praet (AM)

Pérez (ST) Albrighton

Plus Jakupovic, Choudhury as a spare midfielder, and then whichever of Gray or Iheanacho they would rather keep. That makes 25.

All of that group can be registered in the PL squad, but 1-2 would have to miss out for the Europa League, most likely Jakupovic and then Mendy if Chilwell leaves.

Four signings (five if Chilwell goes), with James, Amartey, Bennett, Gray/Iheanacho leaving from last season's squad.

You would imagine Thomas stays to start the season at LB and then gets an EFL loan should Fuchs be fit by October as expected.

Matty James will be on the bench for the next ten years apparently it’s in his contract. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

Why is Matty James still at Leicester City?? It is strange that he’s still employed by the club. He’s only played one season in 5 flipping years !! Bad business that !! Get rid. He can go to someone in the championship like Derby County or Nottingham Forest and warm their bench there, plus he wouldn’t have to move house. Maybe Cov??

Nobody’s going to buy him??!!

Squad depths rubbish! Starting 11 but no bench! Central midfield has 8-9 but about 5 of them aren’t good enough. 2 cbs really at the club in Evans and Soyuncu! Morgan is getting on and benkovic can’t walk without getting injured! No wingers at the club! Gray isn’t top level! Albrighton isn’t good enough, Perez isn’t a winger and Barnes has potential but not the finished article. Plus with a having a longer season ahead with Europe! We need 4/5 quality signings. Also kasper making school playground errors because all we have really is Danny ward who looks over weight to me as competition. My list of signings is Demirel, Diallo, Brooks, Benrahma and eduoard! If chilwell and kasper go I’d put faith in Thomas because chilwell can’t defend and would be much of a loss and sign the young Turkish keeper we were linked with. 

Edited by Heymister2015
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2020 at 14:23, davieG said:

Define small in Rodgers' speak?

Rodgers words were clear in that it isnt just about the small squad that he prefers but that he doesn't like rotating his teams like at Liverpool and celtic. The problem is that in many areas of 'our' squad of players that come in on as a sub do not have the ability or technicality that we need for our fringe players whether those players are covering for injuries or just impact subs. With a tough schedule this year in the PL & EL, our 2nd 11 squad players aren't good enough.

54 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

Precisely. He knows full well that his salary and squad place will stop our recruiting team for using those wages to advance our club yet he just sits on it. With 1 year left I cant believe why he hasnt moved on or asked for a loan at least.

53 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Precisely. He knows full well that his salary and squad place will stop our recruiting team for using those wages to advance our club yet he just sits on it. With 1 year left I cant believe why he hasnt moved on or asked for a loan at least.

I think you answered your own question. He is still here because he is paid extremely well.  No one is ever going to offer him what we did.  That last contract extension remains a mystery akin to Lord Lucan’s disappearance.

• Haha 1

In Terms of our first team, I’d say;

Schmeichel (Ward, Jakupovic)

Ricardo (Justin)

Soyuncu (Benkovic🤞)

Evans

Chilwell (Fuchs, Thomas)

Maddison 

Ndidi (Mendy, Choudhury)

Tielemans (Praet)

RW

Vardy (Iheanacho, Perez)

Barnes

Pretty light in terms of creativity 

Just been reading an article in the mercury re who Rodgers is looking to offload:

Kaputska

Diabate

Ghezzal

Big Dan Amartey

James

Slim

Ghezzal

Benkovic

We ain’t half signed some bloody rubbish in recent years. Like most clubs I guess. Tbh I had no idea Diabate was still on the books!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Just been reading an article in the mercury re who Rodgers is looking to offload:

Kaputska

Diabate

Ghezzal

Big Dan Amartey

James

Slim

Ghezzal

Benkovic

We ain’t half signed some bloody rubbish in recent years. Like most clubs I guess. Tbh I had no idea Diabate was still on the books!

Ghezzal is so awful we have to offload him twice just to make sure. 

Some people continue to have a huge problem with Fuchs and Morgan. If everyone's fit neither player gets in the matchday squad next season, but they are as good a player as any club can ask for as 4th choice/backup LB to a player with a good injury record.

They've not signed just to put cones out and say 'come on boys' in the dressing room, they'll play half a dozen league games and do a job when required.

You can add Mendy and Albrighton to that list. Aside from Man City, every team has average backup players. No young exciting player, or player in their prime wants to sit on a bench or even not get in the squad. But those guys are great pros and will do that, just like King did to good effect from 2013-2017.

On 06/08/2020 at 18:59, SheppyFox said:

Exactly this, the problem is for me there’s at a rough guess 8 players that are of no use to us anymore.. I don’t see us bringing 8 in 🧐 

I'd love to know who these 8 players are.

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Kaputska

Diabate

Ghezzal

Big Dan Amartey

James

Slim

Ghezzal

Benkovic

Glaring 2 mistakes have been Slim and Ghezzal. Ghezzal especially poor, but Slim had his moments of quality even if he didn't work out.

Mainly feel for Big Dan who was doing well prior to that awful ankle injury, we haven't seen him since. 

Diabate was a cheap purchase, and looked promising for half a season before disappearing to Turkey and France. 

Personally hoping we give Benkovic a chance to prove himself.

24 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Some people continue to have a huge problem with Fuchs and Morgan. If everyone's fit neither player gets in the matchday squad next season, but they are as good a player as any club can ask for as 4th choice/backup LB to a player with a good injury record.

They've not signed just to put cones out and say 'come on boys' in the dressing room, they'll play half a dozen league games and do a job when required.

You can add Mendy and Albrighton to that list. Aside from Man City, every team has average backup players. No young exciting player, or player in their prime wants to sit on a bench or even not get in the squad. But those guys are great pros and will do that, just like King did to good effect from 2013-2017.

I'd love to know who these 8 players are.

Jakupovic

Amartey

James

Silva

Diabate

Kapustka

Slimani

Albrighton? maybe? Tough call.

All need replacing if we’re to have any quality in depth.

edit

or getting off the wage bill? What’s their collective weekly wage? Our Marc was on 45K at Villa I seem to remember Chloe mentioning years ago.

Wes & Fuchs & Albrighton I think we have to keep for the dressing room but they’re done in terms of offering decent squad depth. 10 really in that case that aren’t doing much, as I said you can make a special case for Morgan and Fuchs/MA.

Edited by SheppyFox

15 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

or getting off the wage bill? What’s their collective weekly wage? Our Marc was on 45K at Villa I seem to remember Chloe mentioning years ago.

Wes & Fuchs & Albrighton I think we have to keep for the dressing room but they’re done in terms of offering decent squad depth. 10 really in that case that aren’t doing much, as I said you can make a special case for Morgan and Fuchs/MA.

Jakupovic - £23k

Amartey - £21k

James - £32k

Silva - £80k

Diabate - £15k

Kapustka - £30k

Slimani - £80k

Albrighton - £45k

£326k a week - wages that could be used for 3-4 actual first team players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, moore_94 said:

Jakupovic - £23k

Amartey - £21k

James - £32k

Silva - £80k

Diabate - £15k

Kapustka - £30k

Slimani - £80k

Albrighton - £45k

£326k a week - wages that could be used for 3-4 actual first team players

Marc is still only on 45k? Bloody hell thats less than his Villa wage in theory because of inflation 🤔 

appreciate you finding out the wages for me pal, I rest my case @jeffschlupp

22 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Jakupovic

Amartey

James

Silva

Diabate

Kapustka

Slimani

Albrighton? maybe? Tough call.

All need replacing if we’re to have any quality in depth.

edit

Wes & Fuchs & Albrighton I think we have to keep for the dressing room but they’re done in terms of offering decent squad depth. 10 really in that case that aren’t doing much, as I said you can make a special case for Morgan and Fuchs/MA

James and Amartey I agree with, but the next four weren't here last season, so they don't need replacing.

Jakupovic is third GK and won't play a minute, why does he need replacing?

Edited by jeffschlupp

2 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

James and Amartey I agree with, but the next four weren't here last season, so they don't need replacing.

We’ll have to agree to disagree, I can’t be bothered 😕 The only thing I’d say is you surely can’t be happy with our squad beyond the starting 11, fair enough if you are. 

13 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I dont understand this comment. Its basic economics that if you have players loaned then they are still on the clubs books and at anytime can get called back to the club. If we sell them on we can target and recruit again but if not then you are in limbo and cant bring in players.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I dont understand this comment. Its basic economics that if you have players loaned then they are still on the clubs books and at anytime can get called back to the club. If we sell them on we can target and recruit again but if not then you are in limbo and cant bring in players.

I agree they all need to go (actually they can't be recalled at any time, only during windows).

But the original point from SheppyFox was that they 'dont see us bringing 8 in'. We don't need to bring in players to replace those players we don't use.

• Like 1