Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Do we look like a side that is supposed to be challenging for promotion?

Because we're not mighty.

We're a club that is traditionally too good for one division and not good enough for the one above. On average, we find ourselves spending more time than we like in one, and more time than expected in the other. We enjoy the good times, and we moan about the rest.

Until someone comes in with the finances, or the nous to take us above this level, we will always be a yo-yo club.

It is not ALL about finances - they can be a burden as well as a blessing as PT will tell you- it is about making more wise decisions than bad ones.

It is also about how you use the players you have.

I believe Levein has/is laying good foundations and 100 per cent support his continuing to do so. But his own managerial flower has a way to go before it blossoms fully.

He takes a long time, for instance, to either get the best out of attackers or to decide that they are not worth the effort.

He has focused too long on his strengths (defending) to the neglect of his apparent weakness (attacking), especially as the defence has been reasonably solid for over six weeks now.

There have been improvements but there are still glaring weaknesses in what appears to be the focus of City's coaching.

Quite apart from things like dead ball situations (which I have laboured on about for ages because they are free goals in the offing) there seems little work on inter-team partnerships.

McCarthy and Gerrbrand are the exception which prove the benefit.

Hume and Smith look like obvious creative partners, I shall be ridiculed mentioned Stearman and you know who, we need two in midfield and, perhaps most of all, we need two up front.

It is only by partners WORKING in training together that the sometimes complex understanding that will unlock tight defences can develop.

It is another reason I'd love to see Chambers involved. He is one striker at Leicester who seems to have the footballing intelligence to work with the likes of Smith and Hume. In fact I believe he would compliment them being fast, deadly and having a naturally creative instinct .

And he should be available because the age restriction does not come into effect this season (so I understand).

Sorry, you'll have to refresh my memory here, but who are these players we've missed out on?

I wouldn't think you'd need to be a genius backed by loads of money to find someone who'd get more goals in three months than Hammond. Supposedly too young Chambers has scored about 10 for a start but you COULD find more effective players in the lower leagues (and at less cost).

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Babylon was suggesting that Pardew along with the other managers he named took more than 2 years to achieve promotion, which is incorrect.

Pick pick pick.... ;)

Ok my bad, mr pardew did it in 1 and a half seasons. You know where i'm coming from.

Sorry, you'll have to refresh my memory here, but who are these players we've missed out on?

That we could afford...?

Well, instead of buying Hammond (should have just kept him on loan) and Hume (as good as he is, he isn't the answer to our problems), Mr Levein could have tried to get Tyson, Fryatt, Eastwood, Abbott, Holt and others.

All score goals, Hammond doesn't, and Hume is more of a playmaker type player.

Well, instead of buying Hammond (should have just kept him on loan) and Hume (as good as he is, he isn't the answer to our problems), Mr Levein could have tried to get Tyson, Fryatt, Eastwood, Abbott, Holt and others.

How do you know he didn't. Our hand was forced by the fact wigan came in so late for connolly, we had no time to do much at all.

Precisely..... we just need a few more people to get into the real world and realise this also.

I remember a sleepy old village squash club which wanted to make a name for itself.

In five years starting from scratch it signed quality players, developed the best junior structure in its region, imported quality coaches to aid their development, used those juniors to win everything in sight (junior and senior) FOR THAT ENTIRE PERIOD period and ended up full of England, regional and county representatives/champions in many categories.

That village club climbed to a national top 20 ranking during that time and for one reason only - not money but by being focused on its goals.

Positive thinking goes a long way in sport at any level. I could quote footballing examples along similar lines

but what I can't understand is why so many of you seem so cautious, accepting and uninspired. Only by aiming for the summit do you have any chance of achieving things.

Look at Dame Ellen the yachtswoman. Derbyshire inland upbringing, mocked by many when she revealed her ambitions in round the world sailing but now a legend in her own lifetime and a person to inspire anyone.

Positive thinking, bravery and belief. Why oh why are some people so hard to convince. Why is the cup half empty in so many people's minds. Levein should have all the time he needs but unless we push him I don't believe he will be the fastest sprinter from the traps.

Why? Cos he's a bit like some of the fans - forever cautious and inclined to safety first.

As one of my critics remarked: "Attack? What's the point of attacking if you lose 4-3?." He didn't say what was the point of endless draws or odd-goal "snatched" defeats.

Sorry, how could I forget, 3 League 1 and 2 League 2 strikers, unproven at this level. :rolleyes:

Abbott, Fryatt, and Eastwood have scored only one more than MDV, by the way.

How do you know he didn't. Our hand was forced by the fact wigan came in so late for connolly, we had no time to do much at all.

Come on. Think back. Many fans were concerned that MDV was not good enough to be our centre-forward and were screaming out for Levein to sign an alternative long before the Connolly thing came up. And even after Connolly's departure they were expecting an eve-of-deadline signing.

Events have proved they were right.

There are others out there, I appreciate what you mean, but I still think we might have been able to get at least one of them. There's more out there such as Sharp for S****horpe

Sorry, how could I forget, 3 League 1 and 2 League 2 strikers, unproven at this level. :rolleyes:

Abbott, Fryatt, and Eastwood have scored only one more than MDV, by the way.

But they've all scored a lot more than Hume and Hammond put together haven't they?

Certainly they should have kept him on loan - at least until there was evidence of his marksmanship. I was one who believed he would come good but since signing his permanent contract he doesn't seem to have posed the same threat. A salutory lesson for the future I would say. Get to know people well before you commit to them.

And don't forget that this year's Championship campaign is a very weird one, as well. Every team can be beaten by every other team. Of course, Sheffield United and Reading are the two to beat, but look at the clubs that follow after them: Watford (whom we have beaten away!), Luton (the newbies, who are now starting to slump), Leeds (anyone thought about them being 5th after 18 rounds?) and Southampton (who we have just drawn).

The situation is not clear. And I would personally hold back any prognosis, because it's almost impossible to make one.

Keeping all those points in mind, we could make the playoffs in the end. And even be promoted. Seriously.

Ther are some many possibilities in this year's league, and so few certainties. And if one thing is for certain, then it is that nothing is for certain. Period.

swisspiss makes some great points here. Were 5 points off 6th place, its just 2 games out of the 29 left to go.

We have some good to very good championship players, who could become premiership standard come what may.

My personal beef is that we dont use them accordingly. We are well capable of beating sheff utd using the righ players when all things equal. Hell, we were better than them for 80mins on their own turf.

I do believe craig is instilling confidence in the core base of a hard team to beat. If hes genuine about concentrating on attack with the run up to visiting turf moor, then it could be the platform of a successful run.

We are 4 games unbeaten, and lost 1 in 8.

There are others out there, I appreciate what you mean, but I still think we might have been able to get at least one of them. There's more out there such as Sharp for S****horpe

But they've all scored a lot more than Hume and Hammond put together haven't they?

But they've done it a it a lower level. When we signed Hume, lots of people on this forum were convinced he was the answer to our prayers, but he's not turned out to be.

I just love the way people think the transfer market is so easy. Find your player, offer the money, it's accepted and the player is grateful for the opportunity. But it doesn't work like that, otherwise one of those players would already be here, and we wouldn't be having this debate.

Besides, there's more to consider than the money itself. As much as I hate to say it (because I would gladly play for free), but who would want to come here, and why the hell should they at the moment, when there are better prospects out there?

We can sell them the ground, we can sell them our hopes for the future, but if there's a better bet for promotion or even a Premiership side sniffing around......

But they've done it a it a lower level. When we signed Hume, lots of people on this forum were convinced he was the answer to our prayers, but he's not turned out to be.

I just love the way people think the transfer market is so easy. Find your player, offer the money, it's accepted and the player is grateful for the opportunity. But it doesn't work like that, otherwise one of those players would already be here, and we wouldn't be having this debate.

Besides, there's more to consider than the money itself. As much as I hate to say it (because I would gladly play for free), but who would want to come here, and why the hell should they at the moment, when there are better prospects out there?

We can sell them the ground, we can sell them our hopes for the future, but if there's a better bet for promotion or even a Premiership side sniffing around......

Why? Because it's a great stage with a big club set-up, good solid support which is potentially greater and the club is at the bottom of the helter skelter and just about to rise back to the sort of heights some of us remember with so much fondness. Do you want any more?

Why? Because it's a great stage with a big club set-up, good solid support which is potentially greater and the club is at the bottom of the helter skelter and just about to rise back to the sort of heights some of us remember with so much fondness. Do you want any more?

When you take off the blue-tinted specatacles it doesn't look as good, to be fair! lol

We all knew DC was off to Wigan weeks before and i know CL said it was a last minute deal but he should have been ready for any late bid.

It's ok being ready but what happens if the other clubs aren't, or aren't prepared to sell?

I didn't, i thought it was good business, but Hume only scored 16 last season in a division below, plus Tranmere fans said he wouldn't be a goalscorer, he would be a creator.

We needed a goalscorer, like the ones I have mentioned, but Levein failed to see that for some reason. I guess he foolishly thought Hammond, with no goals at the time, would be the answer.

I remember a sleepy old village squash club which wanted to make a name for itself.

In five years starting from scratch it signed quality players, developed the best junior structure in its region, imported quality coaches to aid their development, used those juniors to win everything in sight (junior and senior) FOR THAT ENTIRE PERIOD period and ended up full of England, regional and county representatives/champions in many categories.

That village club climbed to a national top 20 ranking during that time and for one reason only - not money but by being focused on its goals.

Positive thinking goes a long way in sport at any level. I could quote footballing examples along similar lines

but what I can't understand is why so many of you seem so cautious, accepting and uninspired. Only by aiming for the summit do you have any chance of achieving things.

Look at Dame Ellen the yachtswoman. Derbyshire inland upbringing, mocked by many when she revealed her ambitions in round the world sailing but now a legend in her own lifetime and a person to inspire anyone.

Positive thinking, bravery and belief. Why oh why are some people so hard to convince. Why is the cup half empty in so many people's minds. Levein should have all the time he needs but unless we push him I don't believe he will be the fastest sprinter from the traps.

Why? Cos he's a bit like some of the fans - forever cautious and inclined to safety first.

As one of my critics remarked: "Attack? What's the point of attacking if you lose 4-3?." He didn't say what was the point of endless draws or odd-goal "snatched" defeats.

Maybe we should get the squash club manager or Dame Ellen as manager then.

Fine i'll think positive from now on... but forgive me when I turn into a moaning old bastard when things don't happen the way I want them to.

Maybe we should get the squash club manager or Dame Ellen as manager then.

Fine i'll think positive from now on... but forgive me when I turn into a moaning old bastard when things don't happen the way I want them to.

Glad to read the second paragraph and like you (whether you believe me or not) I'm perfectly happy with the manager we've got. With me, being critical doesn't mean I want rid. I want him to develop as a boss just like some of the players cos if he was the finished article he probably wouldn't be at Leicester.

Glad to read the second paragraph and like you (whether you believe me or not) I'm perfectly happy with the manager we've got. With me, being critical doesn't mean I want rid. I want him to develop as a boss just like some of the players cos if he was the finished article he probably wouldn't be at Leicester.

You do give Levein credit when it's due Thracian, which is to your credit. Probably why people do respect you, unlike others who spout constant rubbish (i'm sure they say the same about me).

Off to watch Man U, Chelsea.... come on you blues.

What some people fail to realise is that this club was in terminal decline ever since Taylor took the reigns, 1 promotion in the MA days fails to alter that fact.

The club has needed re-structuring from the ground up. I notice many people moan that academy players don't get played, well when the hell did we last have a crop of academy players to even consider picking? This process of change will be a slow one and we have to give Levein the time to mould the team he wants and irrespective of how many he has brought in, it's clear he is still not totally happy with the squad (you can't legislate for the abysmal form of Williams et al).

The defence finally looks like it could become established for years to come. Consider the ages of the current 1st choice back line, 27 (with 18 year old replacement), 22, 24 and 25 (with 19 year old replacement). This unit looks as solid as it has for years and the problem of conceding late goals appears to have abated, there is definite progress on this front.

We can all see the problems in creating and scoring chances and I'm sure CL is well aware of that. He's brough Smith in and has stated a want to bring another forward in. Hughes has also been injured and this has resulted in some sub par performances, when he is firing I'm sure in tandem with similarly intelligent players like Hume and talent such as Smith then we should look more promising going forward.

My general opinion is that CL has to be given the leeway to create his team. The foundations for success have been laid and this is in no small measure due to the players CL has brought in and a restructuring of the club. Sure the results have yet to really come but it is BOUND to be a slow process, anybody calling for his head before the end of this season needs their head examined. The basis of a succesful side is a strong defence and we are currently seeing one being moulded, to not give CL the opportunity to improve the rest of the side would be madness and counter-productive.

Archived