Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Innovindil

Loot Boxes

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I wouldn't get too excited.

Wasn't it Belgium that took a similar government enquiry and "cracked down" on gambling in games and the net result was just EA had to put the probability of getting a special card out of packs on the UI somewhere in tiny fine print.

Didn't actually change the mechanics at all and didn't prevent anyone buying them.

Sorry, but the industry makes way too much money for it to get properly regulated at this point without full scale revolution. It's on a long list of things that won't change until the wider population sit up and take mass action, in this instance by just not buying the game. It won't happen. 

You can’t buy Fifa points in Belgium. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

You can’t buy Fifa points in Belgium. 

Fair, I didn't realise that part, but it still doesn't change the game - if anything it disadvantages people playing it in Belgium. 

I like that, though, it'd be a step. It definitely safeguards the wallets of parents being hoodwinked by desperate kids and helps people with a creeping addiction to buying them. They're good social issues. 

But in terms of the game as a product, it won't change how it plays in the rest of the world and its a global game. 

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Fair, I didn't realise that part, but it still doesn't change the game - if anything it disadvantages people playing it in Belgium. 

I like that, though, it'd be a step. It definitely safeguards the wallets of parents being hoodwinked by desperate kids and helps people with a creeping addiction to buying them. They're good social issues. 

But in terms of the game as a product, it won't change how it plays in the rest of the world and its a global game. 

I think it would be a vastly more enjoyable game if you couldn’t just whack a load of Fifa points on and buy a load of packs. 
I genuinely think before long it will happen and this will probably be the last Fifa in this country at least with Fifa points. 

11 hours ago, Ashley said:

Fornite? 

One of the only games that aren't Paying, unless you mean what I'm saying? 

Buying cosmetics gives you no advantage in game and you don't have to buy them. If you play it right you'll only have to ever buy one battle pass too.. to continue to get free ones for the next season etc.

I think they are getting confused between. Micro transactions and loot boxes.

But micro transactions probably still need to be looked at as they are problematic and despite it not being pay to win Fortnite is guilty of encouraging children to spend their parents money on cosmetics. They are no where near as dodgy as random loot boxes to win which are a blight on the computer games industry.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

Is fortnite the worst you can at least see what (i knew it is sod all) you are getting for your money and if you buy the battle pass providing you get to level 100 you get more than enough v bucks to buy the next battle pass. I could be considered an offender because its a game aimed mire at youngsters. But as kids werent we suckers for panini stickers buying 3 million stickers to collect about 200 or so stickers.

Is anyone watching the current Epic games v apple court battle over the revenue of in app purchases.

The difference with stickers is you are encouraged to swap and you are limited by the physical money in your pocket and the number of packets in the corner shop and the trade off between the pocket money spent on sweets or stickers or comics was a valuable lesson in the value of money.

There is also an achievable finite limit on stickers you can collect. They don't release a new batch every month as an addition. The infinite capacity of digital and the lack of a physical transaction and no concept of the cost of these transactions just leads it to be an unreal sensation where money is being spent on literally nothing.

Are there now digital bank accounts for kids where they can manage their pocket money? They can decide then on what they spend it on and if they spend it all on fortnite skins you can't buy anything else with your pocket money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It won't change the game when it's one country banning it of course. But it's a small step. The more countries that jump on board with it, the more pressure on ea to change the system. Eventually the tide will turn between customers purchasing the game feeling at a disadvantage so they don't purchase the next one and the money they make from packs. 

It's a long way off, but there's a tiny speck of light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like 1