Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

TemTem (PS5 soon, PC now) - how on earth did they get away with that??

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Chinese? Isn't it Spanish? But yeah it's just a rip off of Pokemon

You are right, Spanish! Sure I read somewhere it was Chinese, probably heard if from Trump.

Anyway, its decent but not so much derivative as a direct copy! (It ain`t bad mind)

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

You are right, Spanish! Sure I read somewhere it was Chinese, probably heard if from Trump.

Anyway, its decent but not so much derivative as a direct copy! (It ain`t bad mind)

From what I've read they have admitted it was inspired by pokemon but I think they have gone a little bit too close with their copy. If you removed the word temtem from the advertising and replaced it with Pokemon and Nintendo no one would look twice. I reckon there's a very expensive law suit on the way!

• Like 1

Reading up a bit, it seem that the developer has been very canny with the changes and that Nintendo (Or rather The Pokemon Company) would not have a leg to stand on, as you cannot copyright the game type (pet collection and fighting), merely the items brandable within it.

33 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This one's passed me by, how similar we talking?  Does it go as deep as IVs, EVs and all that stuff?

No common terminology, no actual Pokémon of course, but they look like Pokemon, you fight, you collect and it feels like Pokemon.

Even my son said “that looks like <insert Pokemon name> and that look like...”

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No common terminology, no actual Pokémon of course, but they look like Pokemon, you fight, you collect and it feels like Pokemon.

Even my son said “that looks like <insert Pokemon name> and that look like...”

Sure, but are Pokemon's deeper mechanics similarly emulated?  If the similarities end at collecting teams of monsters and battling with them then there's already a bunch of mobile and indie games that already copy that formula, Pokemon basically created a subgenre of turn-based RPG.  After all you can copyright specific code and artwork but you can't copyright things like the general idea of collecting creatures, having a team of 6, turn based fights, random encounters etc. or even all of those things together.  It's like how we now have a ton of indie games that are basically Dark Souls.

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Sure, but are Pokemon's deeper mechanics similarly emulated?  If the similarities end at collecting teams of monsters and battling with them then there's already a bunch of mobile and indie games that already copy that formula, Pokemon basically created a subgenre of turn-based RPG.  After all you can copyright specific code and artwork but you can't copyright things like the general idea of collecting creatures, having a team of 6, turn based fights, random encounters etc. or even all of those things together.  It's like how we now have a ton of indie games that are basically Dark Souls.

I am pretty sure that I am ill equipped to provide deep mechanics comparison with regards to TemTem vs Pokémon, but there has been more useful comparisons so will just defer to such things!!

https://www.thegamer.com/could-nintendo-sue-over-temtem/

Considering this game was released in January this year, when masses of the world's population were looking for ANYTHING to do with their mass amounts of spare time yet this is the first I've ever heard of it pretty much says no one gives a shite about it. 

And I can't see Nintendo giving a shite either. Pokemon fan base will forever be a massive cash cow, some second-rate Spanish rip off won't even make a dent. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Right, this came out today and it seems decent enough. My boy, a dyed-in-the-wool Pokemonite has even said he may give it a go.

Still early access, but so far so Pokemon