Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

1977-78

16 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Don't forget Alan Waddle and George Armstrong. Geoff Salmons wasn't bad - think he may have been our top scorer along with Tommy Williams?

Saw Waddle score against Birmingham City away! Think it was his only goal. Sold Wortho and signed Waddle? Criminally insane! 

Guest StevieLynex

Alan Waddle

Clubs played for: Halifax Town, Liverpool, Leicester City, Swansea City, Newport County, Gloucester City, Mansfield Town, Happy Valley, Peterborough United, Hartlepool United, Palloiluseura Apollo, Swansea City, Barry Town, Al Wakrah, Barry Town, Llanelli, Port Talbot Town, Maesteg Park, Bridgend Town, Llanelli (1971-1993)

7 hours ago, enmac said:

Saw Waddle score against Birmingham City away! Think it was his only goal. 

We went that game, and ended up standing in the Tilton Road end, surrounded by a load of mad Brummies.

Most of the Midland Red bus lot,  got ran out of the ground at half time.  Scary times.

We drew 1-1, so it wasn't all bad!

14 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

We went that game, and ended up standing in the Tilton Road end, surrounded by a load of mad Brummies.

Most of the Midland Red bus lot,  got ran out of the ground at half time.  Scary times.

We drew 1-1, so it wasn't all bad!

Sounds pretty grim. I just rolled up to the ground 5 minutes before kick off. Had no idea where the City fans were. I must have ended up in the equivalent of the popular end, so had a pretty dull time. Think their fans had a reputation from games at Filbert St. 

My abiding memory of the game was how rubbish we were. Went with a mate, who was a neutral. Felt embarrassed. 

35 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Alan Waddle

Clubs played for: Halifax Town, Liverpool, Leicester City, Swansea City, Newport County, Gloucester City, Mansfield Town, Happy Valley, Peterborough United, Hartlepool United, Palloiluseura Apollo, Swansea City, Barry Town, Al Wakrah, Barry Town, Llanelli, Port Talbot Town, Maesteg Park, Bridgend Town, Llanelli (1971-1993)

To sum him up. Waddle was like a fake John Toshack. Same sort of build but with none of his ability. 

54 minutes ago, enmac said:

My abiding memory of the game was how rubbish we were. Went with a mate, who was a neutral. Felt embarrassed. 

That was one of our better away performances!

It was, in fact, one of only two away games where we scored a goal and got something out of the game.  (The only other example was a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough).

I remember thinking that we'd turned the corner after beating Ipswich 2-1 at home, and following it up with a 1-1 draw at Birmingham.   

Oh how naive we were ...

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 20:57, worth_the_wait said:

I think that famous incident was actually home to Cambridge Utd early in the next season (1978-79).

We were winning 1-0 near the end of the match.  He tripped over the ball in front of the Kop.  Oh how we laughed ... until Cambridge ran straight down the other end and equalised.

I found the clip!!!   I thought it had been lost in the midst of time.

The Cambridge Utd 1-1 draw in 1978-79 is at 45m 40s to 46m 22s, with poor old Roger Davies tripping over the ball at 46m 02s - you can clearly hear the crowd laughing.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 23:46, murphy said:

Soooo... 1978.  Not only bad, but seemingly very dull.  Eight 0-0 draws.

So dull that we've already run out of things to say about it but it was the year that smallpox was finally eradicated and the year that Kate Bush first appeared caterwaulling Wuthering Heights, so y'know, not all bad.

...caterwauling!!!

The Kick Inside was a very good Album, she had a lot more talent than Rachel Riley.

20 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...caterwauling!!!

The Kick Inside was a very good Album, she had a lot more talent than Rachel Riley.

Brilliant album!  I love Kate Bush as it goes, that's why I used her as an example of 1978 being not that bad.

She did have a rather erm... distinctive vocal style in those early years though.  Perhaps I should have said 'shrieking' rather than 'caterwaulling'?

Genuinely though, I think she's a bit of a genius.  As for Rachel Riley, perhaps not as talented as Kate but talent comes in different forms and I reckon I'd trust her first with my quadratic equations.

• Like 1