Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trumpet

iRacing

4 hours ago, Trumpet said:

It’s a flat monthly fee for iRacing, so what I mean by the base game is basically you paying the monthly free but not immediately buying extra cars or tracks. There’s more than enough included to get you started.

Not so sure about the others you’ve mentioned. I’ll find that ACC key and send it over.

Thanks for that, but it's mainly the first Assetto Corsa game I'm interested in (since it's cheaper and still has loads of mods etc.), though how easy any of them are I dunno yet ;)

EDIT: I wonder how ACC would work with a gamepad? :P  (I'll have to try it first, at least...)

EDIT: ACC works with a gamepad - but I don't :P (So much spinning (offtrack) - just call me Anakin :D )  I now have a queue of youtube videos to watch about it, before I try it again... ;)

Edited by PhillippaT

So, rather than reply personally, I thought it'd be best to ask this more openly - are there any DLC's for ACC that are really recommended or not, or should I just just buy the lot? (I've already bought the British GT pack, because, you know, reasons ;) :D (Though I never marshalled for a GT race @Donington, just British/German Touring Cars...)

1 hour ago, PhillippaT said:

So, rather than reply personally, I thought it'd be best to ask this more openly - are there any DLC's for ACC that are really recommended or not, or should I just just buy the lot? (I've already bought the British GT pack, because, you know, reasons ;) :D (Though I never marshalled for a GT race @Donington, just British/German Touring Cars...)

I don't know ACC at all so can't comment on the DLC, but I do know that LFM (https://lowfuelmotorsport.com/) is a really useful resource for arranging online racing series.  Worth a look.

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

I don't know ACC at all so can't comment on the DLC, but I do know that LFM (https://lowfuelmotorsport.com/) is a really useful resource for arranging online racing series.  Worth a look.

I'm gonna need a lot more practice before even thinking about actual competition - but I've watched a few youtube vids about all this stuff with all the people to race against.... (Simracing.gp etc.)

EDIT: just having a track I know really well is helping even on pad,  tbh - (Donington Park from the British GT pack) 

EDIT2: McLean's is my Kryptonite, though :P (I always get massive amounts of oversteer on that corner exit...)

Edited by PhillippaT

Afraid I can’t help with any questions that are not iRacing related, I refuse to try anything but iRacing :D

One of many reasons why I love iRacing - real racing drivers use it. Last night I was in a practice session with Oscar Piastri.

6 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Afraid I can’t help with any questions that are not iRacing related, I refuse to try anything but iRacing :D

One of many reasons why I love iRacing - real racing drivers use it. Last night I was in a practice session with Oscar Piastri.

I'm definitely not going to be anywhere near good enough to make it worth spending money on that game yet, then :P

Well, I got the wheel, and:

1) I'm glad I got the pedal stand, but - OW, MY LEGS.  Apparently I'm now using muscles on the inside of my thighs I haven't been needing to, before... :P  (I have that stopper for the brake(?) pedal, but haven't tried it yet.)

2) The wheel works, and is big and heavy (and thankfully I had a spare power socket available) - BUT - I never really checked on how well it would clamp to my desk - oops. :(:facepalm:  (It's got a bit of a lip then a solid piece of wood with nothing behind it, so it's not flat, and difficult to clamp to.  It can do it, but gets a bit loose really easily and starts to move up/down, back/front a little fairly quickly, so I find myself having to tighten it up while I'm driving...  And the metal screw doesn't really work when it clamps at an angle like it is, so...  ARGH. )

I need a more suitable desk, obviously ;)  (No room for anything else, even a small stand would be pushing it - my home office is a bit small. :( )

3) I'm immediately 1 second faster with the wheel round Donington compared to the gamepad, (though still really slow, ofc - 1:41.5 vs 1:42.6 in a GT3 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (as Farmer?)), when I can keep it on the track :P (BRAKING AT THE RIGHT TIME is the main issue atm.)

56 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

I'm definitely not going to be anywhere near good enough to make it worth spending money on that game yet, then :P

Well, I got the wheel, and:

1) I'm glad I got the pedal stand, but - OW, MY LEGS.  Apparently I'm now using muscles on the inside of my thighs I haven't been needing to, before... :P  (I have that stopper for the brake(?) pedal, but haven't tried it yet.)

2) The wheel works, and is big and heavy (and thankfully I had a spare power socket available) - BUT - I never really checked on how well it would clamp to my desk - oops. :(:facepalm:  (It's got a bit of a lip then a solid piece of wood with nothing behind it, so it's not flat, and difficult to clamp to.  It can do it, but gets a bit loose really easily and starts to move up/down, back/front a little fairly quickly, so I find myself having to tighten it up while I'm driving...  And the metal screw doesn't really work when it clamps at an angle like it is, so...  ARGH. )

I need a more suitable desk, obviously ;)  (No room for anything else, even a small stand would be pushing it - my home office is a bit small. :( )

3) I'm immediately 1 second faster with the wheel round Donington compared to the gamepad, (though still really slow, ofc - 1:41.5 vs 1:42.6 in a GT3 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (as Farmer?)), when I can keep it on the track :P (BRAKING AT THE RIGHT TIME is the main issue atm.)

Welcome to the club! Braking is the tricky thing to get right in these sims. Trail braking is such a useful skill to learn and make a habit of as early as possible. 

18 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Welcome to the club! Braking is the tricky thing to get right in these sims. Trail braking is such a useful skill to learn and make a habit of as early as possible. 

Just braking in time to actually make the corner matters more, first, methinks ;) :D :P 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trumpet said:

Been hammering iRacing recently, particularly the FF1600. On the brink of 2k IR which would be an all time high for me. 

Nice one. I get a decent amount of SR in the Skip or Vee, then move into GT3 and plummet right back down

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Nice one. I get a decent amount of SR in the Skip or Vee, then move into GT3 and plummet right back down

My plan was to get my B license and jump into the gt3’s and I expect the exact same to happen lol

Have you tried the FF1600? It’s probably somewhere between the Skippy and Vee, although haven’t got any experience in the Skippy myself, just repeating what I’ve heard.

On 19/08/2023 at 15:05, Trumpet said:

My plan was to get my B license and jump into the gt3’s and I expect the exact same to happen lol

Have you tried the FF1600? It’s probably somewhere between the Skippy and Vee, although haven’t got any experience in the Skippy myself, just repeating what I’ve heard.

Nice to see your racing vocabulary is as err "saxon" as mine

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
53 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.iracing.com/iracing-development-update-february-2024/

Glad we get to drive in the rain next season. If there's one thing this game needed, it was less grip...

I’ve been out for a few months so will be aiming at making a return for the carnage next month. Looks like they’ve added a few more cars to be able to drive in rain, as the late 2023 targeted release didn’t have quite as many.

Really like the idea of starting a race in the dry and having to dive in for wets as it starts to rain. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Zear0 said:

It'll be carnage. 

Think I'll be starting from the pits to avoid T1. 

Can’t wait for Week 13 chaos. Looks like they’ve got it bang on from what I’ve seen. Hoping it doesn’t hammer my fps in VR

18 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Are you having a go tonight? I’m torn between watching the game and getting a few hours in, but I reckon iRacing is going to edge it given our recent form!

5 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Are you having a go tonight? I’m torn between watching the game and getting a few hours in, but I reckon iRacing is going to edge it given our recent form!

Yeah 100%  I'm waiting for the servers to come back up and I'll be straight on.  It'll be solo/ai races just to see how much it ruins by FPS.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Had a half decent week in the TCR this week. Started by putting it on pole in my first fixed race last night, to be wiped out in T1 by someone from mid pack who completely lost it - pissed me off at the time but nothing anyone could’ve done to avoid it. One of those! SOF was 1800 so I was disappointed to get pole position to then potter about at the back for the remainder of the race.

Decided to have another go in the open setup race and managed to get pole again, this time by about a second. Uneventful race, but won by almost 10 seconds. Looks comfortable enough, but didn’t feel it at the time. My brain kept telling me I’d put it in the barriers throughout.

Here’s the race - beyond the first lap it really is uneventful.

Edited by Trumpet

• 4 weeks later...

I did it! My first official race in the rain. Managed the win just by keeping it on track.

Completely shafted myself by running the Brands Hatch GP setup without realising the base wet setup would be the one to go for. As it turns out, with the same conditions and in the wet setup I’m 4 seconds quicker lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trumpet said:

I did it! My first official race in the rain. Managed the win just by keeping it on track.

Completely shafted myself by running the Brands Hatch GP setup without realising the base wet setup would be the one to go for. As it turns out, with the same conditions and in the wet setup I’m 4 seconds quicker lol

I'm garbage in the rain. Just lose my head. 

5 hours ago, Zear0 said:

I'm garbage in the rain. Just lose my head. 

May have asked before, but what pedals do you have? I’m convinced having decent pedals makes it much easier.

6 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

May have asked before, but what pedals do you have? I’m convinced having decent pedals makes it much easier.

Fanatec Club Sport v3s