Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

Disappointing attendance at walkers

Any idea how much it cost in those days?

I seem to recall paying 1shilling and 6 pence, I think that's about 71/2p in today's money plus 1 old penny to park my bike in someone alleyway on Burnmoor St.

Mainly because they will never be a 'big' club with respect to catchment area so they have to sell those players to survive. I bet you could put together a pretty strong team of current ex Crewe players, starting with

Lennon and Savage.

Not disagreeing with you their davie, disagreeing with the argument that it's paying dividends.

Wigan probably have pretty much a similar catchment area, they've done alright without young local talent and a sugar daddy.

I seem to recall paying 1shilling and 6 pence, I think that's about 71/2p in today's money plus 1 old penny to park my bike in someone alleyway on Burnmoor St.

Sounds painful.

Just done a bit of research.

The most expensive seat ticket on offer at Filbo in Sept 1970 was 16/- (80p).

Based on the same increase as average earnings across the period to September 2004, the same ticket would have cost the equivalent of £14.36 at the beginning of last season.

Over a similar period based upon inflation, the ticket would have cost £8.06.

However, if it had been linked to the increase in footballers earnings, I suggest it would have been substantially higher.

Not disagreeing with you their davie, disagreeing with the argument that it's paying dividends.

Wigan probably have pretty much a similar catchment area, they've done alright without young local talent and a sugar daddy.

I believe it is paying dividends it's getting them into the Championship which could be argued is above their natural level and enabling them to stay debt free. Having said that like most things the answer has to be an holistic approach with every option available is used to it's greatest effect.

On the original subject of bringing players through this must surely be one of the most productive period for years.

Thrach, your argument about local players getting the nod ahead of others just keeps coming back.

We've heard it before from you and others who spouted the names of Petrescu, Dawson, Wright etc, all of whom have so far not done anything to convince me that successive managers were wrong in not playing them.

How many teams actually succeed fielding talent from their respective back gardens? You mention Dario Gradi's philosophy paying dividends - that's not true.

They are perpetual strugglers who struggle to attract people through the gate.

Playing Chambers isn't going to bring thousands through the gate, how many mates do you think he has?

Maybe, just maybe some of the youngsters are not quite ready to be exposed and Craig is making the right decision. I have no doubt that they are potentially good players for us, Stearman particularly

Fans thinking Sheehan is the best left back at the club means nothing to me. After all, the same fans used to chant to get Trevor Benjamin on the pitch.

Popularity does not guarantee delivery.

Crewe struggled for season after season in the bottom two divisions and almost dropped out of the League on loads of occasions.

They are too close to Manchester and Stoke to ever attract decent crowds but people I spoke to when I had a shop in Stoke reckoned Gradi was the best manager they've ever had .. and that only money generated from the players he developed and sold has kept the club solvent.

To do that and to keep the club playing at the highest level in its modern history is, to my mind, an achievement.

As for touting for locally developed youngsters I've mentioned three in those terms during all the time these forums have existed, three who I have watched critically and carefully.

I certainly didn't champion any of the names you mentioned by way of derision.

I mentioned my three because two of them look better than the present incumbents and the other looks as good. If you disagree, fine, but can you explain why I should desist from seeking to get City to play its best team when our results are so ordinary, our goalscoring so inept and our entertainment value as a team has been less than inspiring.

Maybe you are absolutely right that the youngsters might not be ready. I mean that. But, considering the shortcomings in the paragraph above I would like to find out because certainly (in my view) Nils is not ready to be a left-back nor will he ever be and Hammond is not showing signs of being ready to be a centre-forward.

Nor will the youngsters' chances be improved by any signings in January (hence my persistence).

But if, at that time new and better players arrive then fair enough. But why put up with existing failings when we already seem to have players who can do certain jobs better?

It's early days yet for Wigan. Dario's weaved his magic at Crewe for years which says something for the proof of the pudding, especially in his more-than-trying situation.

It's early days yet for Wigan. O'Grady's weaved his magic at Crewe for years which says something for the proof of the pudding, especially in his more-than-trying situation.

O'Grady???? lol, i think you've got that wrong mate

Ticket prices and to a smaller degree football results.

Those who think the results are a bigger factor then the prices are in a dreamland here is a few facts for you.

Championship attendances have risen this season premiership attendances have dropped.

Chelsea who are the champions and on form cannot sellout their stadium, have a look at their prices.

Sheff Wed in the championship have a look at their prices and attendances.

So please dont say their is no direct link between prices and attendance level's because their clearly is.

Ticket prices and to a smaller degree football results.

Those who think the results are a bigger factor then the prices are in a dreamland here is a few facts for you.

Championship attendances have risen this season premiership attendances have dropped.

Chelsea who are the champions and on form cannot sellout their stadium, have a look at their prices.

Sheff Wed in the championship have a look at their prices and attendances.

So please dont say their is no direct link between prices and attendance level's because their clearly is.

The stats I saw suggested that the only increases were with promoted teams and those who increased capacity over the summer. Think there were a couple of clubs who had maintained a status quo, but 16 Championship clubs had seen attendances drop.

I've watched them for over 30 years and a season ticket holder for a number of those years.

I gave it up last year and this is probably the first season I won't be attending a game.

I could afford the price of a ticket if I wanted to so that's not really the issue with me although I do think they are too high for the level we're at.

The Walkers, nice stadium but no football ground and I doubt it ever will be.

The team, I'd have to buy a programme to recognise who's actually playing for us this season. We need to get a stable squad and jam shut the revolving door every close season. I need a team I can identify with.

The manager does nothing for me, stays or goes? don't know/don't really care?

The aptmoshere er what aptmosphere?.

At the start of the season I missed going, but it's got to the stage where yesterday i watched the Rugby on Sky then switched over for the final score and I didn't really care they'd lost.

It's not just the City I very rarely watch any domestic football on TV, Champions League and Internationals being the exceptions.

I miss how it used to be not how it is. :(

I think my love affair with the game is coming to a end, or maybe i'm finding there is more to life on a Saturday afternoon.

Either way I think it's going to take more than a few wins to get me back down there.

Archived