Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Financial Fair Play

This thread seems to refer to the new UEFA rule, not FFP generally.  This rule will limit clubs to spending 70% of their revenue on wages, transfers and agents' fees.  Current UEFA FFP limits the amount that clubs are permitted to lose to 30M euros over a three-year period.  It’s said the new rule will be more of a straitjacket on smaller clubs’ spending than the old one.

But I’m not sure it will have a big long-term impact on LCFC.  Before it was announced, the common take was that we had to get player costs to 70% or so to be sustainable.  Are we changing our minds to think like a Sugar Daddy club?

We have chosen to make a hard, one time course correction.  I think that’s as much down to our bloated squad (expensive players not even worth registering) as to UEFA FFP. 

If you bin the new rule Newcastle, not LCFC, would be the main club to benefit.  They’d be off on a spree to make Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour look like pikers.  The rest of the Greedy Seven would still be outspending us by 2x or 3x to 1 on transfer fees and player salaries.  We would likely be in even worse competitive shape.

Anyway, if it’s a straitjacket -- they were invented to restrain lunatics.  And some football club owners spend like lunatics.

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

I know we broke the system in 2016 but if you look at Forest for example from a neutral perspective, there is a lot of excitement among their fans but whats the best they can hope for long term even with loads of investment due to new FFP rules? A cup and the odd 6th or 7th finish but mainly premier league stability?

I dont think its hyperbole to say they'll never finish top 4 or challenge for the league, no one else will bar the Sky 6 + Newcastle will.

Sad that football fans cant dream that something that is a remote possibility is now impossible. 

....Unless another state buys them with endless funds. Wait for it....

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

This thread seems to refer to the new UEFA rule, not FFP generally.  This rule will limit clubs to spending 70% of their revenue on wages, transfers and agents' fees.  Current UEFA FFP limits the amount that clubs are permitted to lose to 30M euros over a three-year period.  It’s said the new rule will be more of a straitjacket on smaller clubs’ spending than the old one.

But I’m not sure it will have a big long-term impact on LCFC.  Before it was announced, the common take was that we had to get player costs to 70% or so to be sustainable.  Are we changing our minds to think like a Sugar Daddy club?

We have chosen to make a hard, one time course correction.  I think that’s as much down to our bloated squad (expensive players not even worth registering) as to UEFA FFP. 

If you bin the new rule Newcastle, not LCFC, would be the main club to benefit.  They’d be off on a spree to make Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour look like pikers.  The rest of the Greedy Seven would still be outspending us by 2x or 3x to 1 on transfer fees and player salaries.  We would likely be in even worse competitive shape.

Anyway, if it’s a straitjacket -- they were invented to restrain lunatics.  And some football club owners spend like lunatics.

I have no doubt there will be many clubs outspending us if current FFP was scrapped, my take on the rule isnt for LCFC specifically but rather I dont like this kind of thing in a sport which is aimed at locking in advantages to historically big competitors.