Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Man v Fat

1 hour ago, TJQuik said:

Absolutely correct but I'd add that you shouldn't use calorie counting apps like myfitnesspal for an extended time, they can be an easy gateway to disordered eating habits and seeing food as numbers. Also, I think the revelation for a lot of people can be reducing their consumption of things you wouldn't expect are high in calories like oil and peanut butter.

I'm using MyFitnessPal at the moment as we're on a post Christmas/pre holiday diet. Some shocking calories and carbs in some quite innocent foods. Beer is an obvious killer. I'm using naked rice and noodles, which I'd highly recommended if you're a slave to carbs...me!

40 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I'm using MyFitnessPal at the moment as we're on a post Christmas/pre holiday diet. Some shocking calories and carbs in some quite innocent foods. Beer is an obvious killer. I'm using naked rice and noodles, which I'd highly recommended if you're a slave to carbs...me!

I'd just recommend you don't continue to use it for a long time. Another thing I disagree with is "diets"... losing weight needs to be a long term goal instead of a race to a certain weight.

7 hours ago, TJQuik said:

Absolutely correct but I'd add that you shouldn't use calorie counting apps like myfitnesspal for an extended time, they can be an easy gateway to disordered eating habits and seeing food as numbers. Also, I think the revelation for a lot of people can be reducing their consumption of things you wouldn't expect are high in calories like oil and peanut butter.

I disagree with MyFitnessPal from a personal point of view and I’ve been using it for years when I cut down. However I appreciate that is because I am

in control of it, I don’t rule out any particular foods. I can see how people may be negatively affected by using it though and it become an obsession.

I cringe when I speak to people who are doing crazy diets that just aren’t sustainable. All you need to do is consistently consume less than you burn. You can also do that by eating the foods you enjoy. 

8 hours ago, TJQuik said:

I'd just recommend you don't continue to use it for a long time. Another thing I disagree with is "diets"... losing weight needs to be a long term goal instead of a race to a certain weight.

I think it all depends if your lifestyle needs a complete overhaul, in which case I'd agree. If you're just dealing with a short term over doing it, and need to get rid of a stone, then it's not such a problem. 

10 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I disagree with MyFitnessPal from a personal point of view and I’ve been using it for years when I cut down. However I appreciate that is because I am

in control of it, I don’t rule out any particular foods. I can see how people may be negatively affected by using it though and it become an obsession.

I cringe when I speak to people who are doing crazy diets that just aren’t sustainable. All you need to do is consistently consume less than you burn. You can also do that by eating the foods you enjoy. 

S'why mine is a two-part plan. The first bit was a rush to lose a big chunk - which was needed so I could avoid injuries while exercising. I'm gradually moving to phase 2, where I'll be more target focussed on measurable improvements in cardiac health, recovery and power rather than the diet. Totally agree that banning certain stuff just tends to lead to failure or short-term success. The support from MvF is all about long-term lifestyle changes.