Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Man v Fat

58 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Looks good that, might start piling the pounds on so I can join.

There are a smattering of blokes who’ve hit normal BMI. They get to stay on and earn points by maintaining it, which is my aim.

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Have joined but my league is full. Fat for a while longer then. Right, where's the pork pies?

Given that you score goals by losing weight too, adding a bit extra to lose is quite a good plan…as is having a couple of bags of loose change in your pockets and wearing a rucksack during the initial weigh in.

12 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I’ve put on a lot of weight in the last few years due to lockdown and now working in an office (probably other reasons too) so this looks really interesting

I find that the single session by itself isn’t sufficient to shift weight, but combined with a change in diet (I’ve cut right down on carbs & booze) and something else (I use a Wattbike trainer) it really helps maintain motivation. Most groups seem to put on additional hour long games at other points in the week, and some go on to form an 11 aside team.

I suppose it’s a bit like going to Slimming World or similar, where the group provides a bit of common purpose and motivation to lose weight.

I’ve piled it on a bit over the past couple of years and have recently started running. The running is going great, but I’ve not lost any weight from it. 

As you say @Daggers, diet adjustment is essential. 

I’ve learned from experience that burning calories is a lot harder than just not consuming them in the first place.

Still, this sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1

I played this in my local area and it was a bit of a shitshow to be honest but seems to work well everywhere else lol 

It's a great idea but I felt it didn't represent value for money. Lucky if you played 15 minutes of football because the games were only 30 minutes with a squad of 10 players and rolling subs. You got access to resources but no practical advice, workshops, training in regards to diet or losing weight. You just got weighed in. But this seems to be a problem with those running the one I went to rather than what it likes everywhere. 

We set up a bit of a breakaway league in our area called Not Match Fit lol 

11 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I played this in my local area and it was a bit of a shitshow to be honest but seems to work well everywhere else lol 

It's a great idea but I felt it didn't represent value for money. Lucky if you played 15 minutes of football because the games were only 30 minutes with a squad of 10 players and rolling subs. You got access to resources but no practical advice, workshops, training in regards to diet or losing weight. You just got weighed in. But this seems to be a problem with those running the one I went to rather than what it likes everywhere. 

We set up a bit of a breakaway league in our area called Not Match Fit lol 

It definitely isn’t value for money if you think of it purely in game time, but then that’s not really the point. Our coordinator always has chats about diets and talks through with players why they might not have dropped weight that week. 

I always get a full half hour as a keeper, but then that doesn’t burn the same amount of calories.

I think problems might exist with some centres because of the rapid expansion the thing went through. That said, it still brings us porkers together to set up their own game nights. 

3 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Does anybody else think the BMI calculations are always overly harsh?

When i was at my absolute lightest, looking properly slim, no fat on me and wearing size Small clothes, i was apparently at the top-end of my recommended BMI. 

BMI can de deceptive. 

Having lots of muscle mass can actually push your BMI up. 

Fat % is a better indicator. 

• Like 3

On 17/09/2022 at 11:16, Saxondale said:

Does anybody else think the BMI calculations are always overly harsh?

When i was at my absolute lightest, looking properly slim, no fat on me and wearing size Small clothes, i was apparently at the top-end of my recommended BMI. 

I never took it too seriously even though the admission paperwork demanded it be calculated.... looking at someone in a flimsy gown generally gives you a good idea of their nutritional status.... the same is true with a football kit.

More concerning to was having to do a referal to the alcohol team, often for people who drank a fraction monthly of what I was doing post shifts....... 

Anyway, just google it and the BMI thing is 200 years old and racist....though it wernt a peer reviewed scientific article........ I say trust in your footy kit Saxondale

• Like 2

6 hours ago, He aint bald said:

I never took it too seriously even though the admission paperwork demanded it be calculated.... looking at someone in a flimsy gown generally gives you a good idea of their nutritional status.... the same is true with a football kit.

More concerning to was having to do a referal to the alcohol team, often for people who drank a fraction monthly of what I was doing post shifts....... 

Anyway, just google it and the BMI thing is 200 years old and racist....though it wernt a peer reviewed scientific article........ I say trust in your footy kit Saxondale

I’ve a target weight, but mainly I’ll be judging it on shirt sizes and when I need a new pair of trousers.

7 hours ago, He aint bald said:

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I’ve a target weight, but mainly I’ll be judging it on shirt sizes and when I need a new pair of trousers.

You’re right. How your clothes fit is a very reliable indicator. T-Shirts don’t lie!

14 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Thank you for introducing me to this. Played my first game and had my first weigh in last night. Great set of lads down there (but not a fatty in sight? Whaaat? I AM the fatty!).

😁

Shows it works, eh? Played a 1hr 8-aside last night for the first time and all of them bar 2 were ex-MVF, not a porker amongst them. It was a very tough ask. 

Still, hit my 5% now and online for the 10% weight loss target by the cup final in 2wks. 

Enjoy your journey Jim. 

11 minutes ago, Daggers said:

😁

Shows it works, eh? Played a 1hr 8-aside last night for the first time and all of them bar 2 were ex-MVF, not a porker amongst them. It was a very tough ask. 

Still, hit my 5% now and online for the 10% weight loss target by the cup final in 2wks. 

Enjoy your journey Jim. 

Just a bit concerned by the injuries; there were hugely committed tackles and three injuries.

23 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Just a bit concerned by the injuries; there were hugely committed tackles and three injuries.

Not good. Mine are always self inflicted due to joints carrying mass, and playing in goal limits the opportunity for people to crush me!