Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
masterg59

Jeff beck

Beck flew under my radar - I knew he was part of the Yardbirds, but I was too young to be interested in anything but the music. Teenagers in the provinces tended to be drawn into the the top-forty scene rather than searching for anything 'off-grid'. And good groups were drawn to London in order to progress their careers.

It's only latterly that the provenance of all that London scene music and the wonderful musicians it spawned has become interesting for me.

'Hi Ho Silver Lining' was a college disco favourite, but it was atypical of his gifted virtuoso playing. 

Watching a Rod Stewart documentary and the emphasis on his time with the Jeff Beck group in America and the success they garnered was a revelation for me.

Lately, I'd found myself watching snatches of Beck's concerts with Tal Wilkenfeld. It was then I really realised just how singular his playing was. I suspect a lot of his London peers grew up influenced by jazz and learned to improvise in a way that's typically jazz.

He looked ageless - I guess he pleased himself when and where he played after the early years, preferring to go where his muse took him. I would think he was still playing up to his demise. Musos tend to go out playing.