Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ARTY_FOX

John Motson

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Bill McLaren (and Bleddyn Jones if you're from Leicester), Murray Walker, James Alexander Gordon and now John Motson. 

Pretty much all the iconic voices of our childhoods now gone. 

Sad day. 

Richie Benaud too.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Corky said:

Iconic voice but wasn't sure about him as a commentator in terms of quality. Actually preferred his preview/ review of football on H and J on Talk Sport in later years.

RIP.

Agreed. Commentator of his time but was the voice of our youth.

21 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

As a kid growing up in the 70s/80s I preferred Motson, but as I grew older I enjoyed Davies more.

Maybe, as someone else said, it was Motty's enthusiasm?

I always thought that Motson had this knowledge of football facts he could not wait to impress the viewer with even if not relevant to the match you were watching. Davies though posher sounding was easier on the ear for me with a nice turn of phrase. "Oh yes for the youngster" for the Joe Waters match for example. Still sad that Motty has passed on.

7 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I always thought that Motson had this knowledge of football facts he could not wait to impress the viewer with even if not relevant to the match you were watching. Davies though posher sounding was easier on the ear for me with a nice turn of phrase. "Oh yes for the youngster" for the Joe Waters match for example. Still sad that Motty has passed on.

Agreed, that's how I see it. I just think when I was a kid I was more impressed with all the facts!

• Like 1

I remember seeing a piece on football focus with his preparation sheet of detailed statistics, incredibly impressive, almost a code of his own, no-one could question his commitment and preparation, but like others say it was sometimes not too relevant…”Johnson becomes the 17th player over 6 foot 2 to wear their number six shirt….on a Tuesday” etc. 

• Like 1