Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

Levein's future - can we afford to persist with him?

I am far from happy with Levein. It's been over a year now, and he and his team keep repeating the same mistakes game after game.

1) He has never fielded a consistent side. And, he has never solved the left back position. He goes out and purchases Gilbert for 200k, thinks he's not good enough after a few starts, and then ships him out on loan. Now we don't know the situation behind Gilbert, but I find it shockingly poor that Levein spends that much on a player, provides him with a chance despite not being match fit, doesn't do himself any justice based on that reason, and then finds himself shifted out. If there is another reason why Levein has seemingly got rid of Gilbert, then fair enough, but he's never made it public. So he'll be judged by us fron the facts provided to us.

2) Set pieces, both offensively and defensively. We're slightly better than we used to be (defensively) but we rarely seem a threat from corners and free kicks. There always seems a lack of preparation and thought in to what we're trying to do. The Leeds away game recently highlighted our inability to react to defending set pieces.

3) Levein gives the impression he's tactially inept. He often plays players out of position, and he's far too cautious of the opposition.

4) Levein plays too many players who simply don't cut the mustard.

* Douglas - I've defended him, but I still don't think he's good enough. We need someone who provides assurance behind the back 4. Whenever I've seen Henderson (Derby and Bury away) he's been solid and reliable. I didn't go to the Cardiff away game in the cup, but apparently he was superb there, producing 4 world class saves, and still gets dropped, despite doing as much as he can to get in the side. So what if Douglas has played for both Celtic and Scotland, and played in front of crowds of 60,000 plus, that doesn't mean he should automatically command a place on goal. He's playing in front of less than 20,000 every week, so that argument shouldn't be used in favour of Douglas.

* Kisnorbo - He just isn't a footballer. His passing is abysmal, he has no positional sense, and is a liability when in posession of the ball. He also doesn't hold a footballing brain and often finds himself overrun in midfield. A half decent squad player perhaps, but nothing more.

* Sylla - Frustrates the hell out of me. No consistency and often no work rate. He only plays when it suits him, and we can't have that in our team. He can be good on his day, but he doesn't have too many of those.

* Hamill - Lightweight, average and non-effective.

* Tiatto - Simply a liability.

* Dublin - Fine as a centreback, but past it as a striker. Makes me laugh when people suggest Dublin is a better forward than de Vries, despite the latter scoring 8 compared to Dublin's 0.

* de Vries - Yes, he's our top goal scorer, but he holds us back. He has a good first touch and turning ability, but he doesn't have the pace or composure in front of goal to make a difference.

* Hammond - I don't think he will ever be a consistent goalscorer. Plenty of running, work rate, pace and enthusiasm, but he doesn't have the killer touch.

We don't have the resources to draft anyone else in, unless the person who can improve our affairs isn't currently in a job. 20th position in the Championship at this stage is a disgrace, and that cannot be defended. I'm willing to persist with him, but if our current run continues, then we need to consider what direction we take. Don't forget, despite Levein cutting the wage bill in half effectively, he still has one of the biggest budgets in the division.

I think we have played well recently, and I'd like to think things will start to click together soon, but we've has this hard luck scenario bleated out by Levein far too many times. Where do we draw the line? Do we carry on and persist with draws at home against teams who are desperately poor? Do we persist with the woeful away results, which has seen us win just once in 2005? Do we persist with the fact we can't string a number of results together? Do we persist with the fact we're 20th in the table after half a season?

Let's see what he can do in January - I'm not optimistic though. Attempting to draft players in to a club struggling above the relegation zone in the Championship won't be an easy task.

I am far from happy with Levein. It's been over a year now, and he and his team keep repeating the same mistakes game after game.

1) He has never fielded a consistent side. And, he has never solved the left back position. He goes out and purchases Gilbert for 200k, thinks he's not good enough after a few starts, and then ships him out on loan. Now we don't know the situation behind Gilbert, but I find it shockingly poor that Levein spends that much on a player, provides him with a chance despite not being match fit, doesn't do himself any justice based on that reason, and then finds himself shifted out. If there is another reason why Levein has seemingly got rid of Gilbert, then fair enough, but he's never made it public. So he'll be judged by us fron the facts provided to us.

2) Set pieces, both offensively and defensively. We're slightly better than we used to be (defensively) but we rarely seem a threat from corners and free kicks. There always seems a lack of preparation and thought in to what we're trying to do. The Leeds away game recently highlighted our inability to react to defending set pieces.

3) Levein gives the impression he's tactially inept. He often plays players out of position, and he's far too cautious of the opposition.

* Douglas - I've defended him, but I still don't think he's good enough. We need someone who provides assurance behind the back 4. Whenever I've seen Henderson (Derby and Bury away) he's been solid and reliable. I didn't go to the Cardiff away game in the cup, but apparently he was superb there, producing 4 world class saves, and still gets dropped, despite doing as much as he can to get in the side. So what if Douglas has played for both Celtic and Scotland, and played in front of crowds of 60,000 plus, that doesn't mean he should automatically command a place on goal. He's playing in front of less than 20,000 every week, so that argument shouldn't be used in favour of Douglas.

* Kisnorbo - He just isn't a footballer. His passing is abysmal, he has no positional sense, and is a liability when in posession of the ball. He also doesn't hold a footballing brain and often finds himself overrun in midfield. A half decent squad player perhaps, but nothing more.

* Sylla - Frustrates the hell out of me. No consistency and often no work rate. He only plays when it suits him, and we can't have that in our team. He can be good on his day, but he doesn't have too many of those.

* Dublin - Fine as a centreback, but past it as a striker. Makes me laugh when people suggest Dublin is a better forward than de Vries, despite the latter scoring 8 compared to Dublin's 0.

* de Vries - Yes, he's our top goal scorer, but he holds us back. He has a good first touch and turning ability, but he doesn't have the pace or composure in front of goal to make a difference.

* Hammond - I don't think he will ever be a consistent goalscorer. Plenty of running, work rate, pace and enthusiasm, but he doesn't have the killer touch.

We don't have the resources to draft anyone else in, unless the person who can improve our affairs isn't currently in a job. 20th position in the Championship at this stage is a disgrace, and that cannot be defended. I'm willing to persist with him, but if our current run continues, then we need to consider what direction we take. Don't forget, despite Levein cutting the wage bill in half effectively, he still has one of the biggest budgets in the division.

I think we have played well recently, and I'd like to think things will start to click together soon, but we've has this hard luck scenario bleated out by Levein far too many times. Where do we draw the line? Do we carry on and persist with draws at home against teams who are desperately poor? Do we persist with the woeful away results, which has seen us win just once in 2005? Do we persist with the fact we can't string a number of results together? Do we persist with the fact we're 20th in the table after half a season?

Let's see what he can do in January - I'm not optimistic though. Attempting to draft players in to a club struggling above the relegation zone in the Championship won't be an easy task.

Great post and I fully agree. I just wish I could make my posts so structured, reasoned and persuasive.

Great post and I fully agree. I just wish I could make my posts so structured, reasoned and persuasive.

same here . thats pretty much what i wanted to say but scowy seems to do it better

Not wanting to sound like arse licker (which I most defiantly am NOT) I couldn’t have put it better my self. Top post my friend.

he's far too cautious of the opposition.

In our last 2 matches we haave been down to 10 men but levein has stuck with a 3 man defence on both occaisions even whn the socres were level. We plat two wingers, an attacking midfield player and a striekr is every match. At the moment we are playing anything but cautious or defencive football.

I personally think there are still too many positive points and promising signs to get rid fo Levein. We would have to re-build a squad from scratch all over again and a different manager playing with leveins players would put us in more not less danger of relegation.

Things are not going well this season but fans have got to show a little bit of patience.

you should send this to the walkers you might get a good response because it explains the feelings of the fans who know levein cant cut it in the championship

In our last 2 matches we haave been down to 10 men but levein has stuck with a 3 man defence on both occaisions even whn the socres were level. We plat two wingers, an attacking midfield player and a striekr is every match. At the moment we are playing anything but cautious or defencive football.

I personally think there are still too many positive points and promising signs to get rid fo Levein. We would have to re-build a squad from scratch all over again and a different manager playing with leveins players would put us in more not less danger of relegation.

Things are not going well this season but fans have got to show a little bit of patience.

If you've had the pleasure of going to Wolves and Burnley this season, you'll understand my frustration of the negative attitude he holds. At Wolves, we played a 4-5-1, with two holding midfield players, and we bored our way to a not quite magnificent bore draw.

At Burnley, we went there with the intention to miss the midfield out, simply because they played 4-5-1, with de Vries and Dublin upfront. That's caution and tactial stupidity rolled in one.

Why should we be scared of the likes of Wolves and Burnley?

Fair enough, he's gone more attacking recently, but that should be expected against desperately poor sides such as Crewe and Millwall.

There are too many games where he's changed his gameplan, simply because of the opposition. A few games with a changed attitude in favour of being more attacking needs to be sustained over a period of time, and results needs to improve accordingly.

It simply isn't good enough at the moment.

If you've had the pleasure of going to Wolves and Burnley this season, you'll understand my frustration of the negative attitude he holds. At Wolves, we played a 4-5-1, with two holding midfield players, and we bored our way to a not quite magnificent bore draw.

At Burnley, we went there with the intention to miss the midfield out, simply because they played 4-5-1, with de Vries and Dublin upfront. That's caution and tactial stupidity rolled in one.

Why should we be scared of the likes of Wolves and Burnley?

Fair enough, he's gone more attacking recently, but that should be expected against desperately poor sides such as Crewe and Millwall.

There are too many games where he's changed his gameplan, simply because of the opposition. A few games with a changed attitude in favour of being more attacking needs to be sustained over a period of time, and results needs to improve accordingly.

It simply isn't good enough at the moment.

he is right, levein is negative, yeasterday it was the like 85th minute everyone was forward, he came out of the dugout and told mcarthy to get back! and also levein has no idea about tactical play hes just not got the experiance to take us anywhere

Sorry mate I disagree, have a look at the Levein Out thread

(Mainly because I can't be bothered to re type it again)

Great post Scowy, agree completely.

As for TrickyTrev's comment - we may have been playing more attacking recently, but we still played a defensive midfielder who is useless going forward (Kisnorbo) against the 2 bottom sides in the division...at home.

The last two games have been crying out for more creativity and on both occasions when Williams finally came on we noticed the difference. There's no way we should be so scared of Crewe and Millwall at home to play a holding midfielder IMHO.

Give him til the end of january IMO. If he can sign maybe a proper striker, and a winger and maybe a goalkeeper, they asre our weakest points. If we not improve soon then he shpould go. It wouldn't matter if we were slowly IMPROVING our position but were not, we slipping down.

Great post Scowy, agree completely.

As for TrickyTrev's comment - we may have been playing more attacking recently, but we still played a defensive midfielder who is useless going forward (Kisnorbo) against the 2 bottom sides in the division...at home.

The last two games have been crying out for more creativity and on both occasions when Williams finally came on we noticed the difference. There's no way we should be so scared of Crewe and Millwall at home to play a holding midfielder IMHO.

We are only doing that so Gudjohnson can play as far forward as he likes. A move that the mjaority of you lot are praising and saying theat we are benefiting greatly from. In my opinion it is something Gudjohnson is benefiting greatly from but not the team. We are left we two midfield players who don't have top class passing ability. I'd play Williams and Hughes but then you lot would be saying that Levein hasn't a clue because Joey seems to have become a favorite.

The whole "Levein doesn't have a clue about tactics rant" is bollocks and is just a n easy cliche. He knows the game very well, you may not enjoy his decision making but you can't accuse himn of not knowing how the decision he makes will effect the game or what he is trying to do. He is anything but a "Pick 11 players and fit them into a 4-4-2" ala Micky Adams. Doesn't mean I am happy with the way he is sending out his side it is just that I can recognise that he is not clueless.

We'll agree to disagree. I respect your opinion but believe that on a number of occasions this morning he has been out thought by his opposite number and is far from tactically astute.

I agree he has made some bad tactical decisions at times but I just get annoyed when people say the manager is "cluesless" about tactics or that he "doesn't know anything about them". They are just cliches and patently not true.

I have to agree with tricky here, the signs there are promising and he's bought in some good players, including: mccarthy, gerrbrand, hume, smith (on loan) maybury, hammond. He has also bought through the youngsters, sheehan and stearman and chambers to a lesser extent. I think he deserves the chance to strengthen our weaknesses in the transfer window and hopefully get us winning some games:

I still think that we will be finishing the season in the top 12 however, feel free to come back at the end of the season if i am wrong and i give you all permision to slate me :D, but if levein has got us in the top half then i can look back and be glad i was one who stayed faithful :D

I think thats a bit unfair when you take into account the ammount of starts and sub appearances that de vries has had over dublin upfront.. I'm not saying we should use Dublin up front, for now Hume and Hammond is our best pairing by a country mile..

Anyway on the whole Levein front I've said before, Id be prepared to give him until a few weeks after January, give him time to try and sign a few new players and turn things around. He's been here well over a year and while I accept that we play better and he has reduced the wage bill etc etc its resultys that matter and thats the one thing he hasn't been getting... and it's not like he doesn't have a decent squad to be able to achieve that with.. you look at a team like Reading, no particularly big name players but they have had a fantastic season - although in fairness, how long have Reading been with their current manager? They haven't been a prominent championship side for a long time they have gradually improved over time, you just dont see that happening with Leicester at the moment though =/

the biggest mistake the club and can do and I am worried they will do is give craig money to spend in jan and allow him the transfer window, then I feer in march/april when we are in the bottom 3 we will sack him and the manager to replace him will have too little time and no transfer window and funds.

Archived