Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Reverend

Diamond formation

Has anyone thought about us playing the 'diamond formation' that Sven loves so much? We played a similar formation against Spurs so it must be effective. We could play:

---------------------------Dougalas------------------------------

Stearman--------McCarthy------Gerrbrand----------Sheehan

---------------------------Gudjonsson--------------------------- -------Williams---------------------------------------- Smith----

------------------------------Hughes------------------------------

-----------de Vries/Hammond----------Hume-------------------

Or, we could put Williams in the holding role, Hughes on the right and Hume in the 'hole' with Hammond and de Vries up front? :D

if we did diamond we could try de vries/fryatt upfront with hume as the attacking midfielder. Gudjohnsson defenseive midfield position? left wing ryan smith for this season and right wing stevie hughes. What are the chances of gareth williams playing on the left next season? =/

if we did diamond we could try de vries/fryatt upfront with hume as the attacking midfielder. Gudjohnsson defenseive midfield position? left wing ryan smith for this season and right wing stevie hughes. What are the chances of gareth williams playing on the left next season? =/

I think that Hume should defo play in the attacking midfield role. Thats where he played for Tranmere and scored some scorching 25 yarders! Humeys been good this season but until he plays in his natural position, he will be less effective :cool:

For me, Hume's natural position is in the 'hole', either supporting the man up front or acting as the 'tip' of the diamond. Now that we have Fryatt I hope we'll see CL play Hume in his more natural position.

With the players we have available for Sheff Weds...

--------------------- Douglas ----------------------

Stearman ---- McCarthy ---- Nissa ---- Sheehan

---------------------- Williams ---------------------

Hughes ------------------------------------ Hammil

----------------------- Hume -----------------------

------------ Fryatt --------------- MDV ------------

For me, Hume's natural position is in the 'hole', either supporting the man up front or acting as the 'tip' of the diamond. Now that we have Fryatt I hope we'll see CL play Hume in his more natural position.

With the players we have available for Sheff Weds...

--------------------- Douglas ----------------------

Stearman ---- McCarthy ---- Nissa ---- Sheehan

---------------------- Williams ---------------------

Hughes ------------------------------------ Hammil

----------------------- Hume -----------------------

------------ Fryatt --------------- MDV ------------

Prbably going completly mad here but i reckon with the players we have

------------------------------Douglas

-----------Stearman-------McCarthy----Johansson

Maybury-------------------------------------------------Sheehan

----------------------Hughes-----Williams

------------------------------Hume

-------------------Fryatt/Elvis-----De Vries

The obvious problem with the diamond formation is that it leaves the full backs exposed. Especially not wise given our left back problem. I agree that Hume's best position would be behind the front two, but I'm not sure Levein would alter the formation just to fit him in. Levein may now see Fryatt and Hume as his long term first choice partnership. Hume dropping deep off the back 4, and bringing others in to play, similar to Sheringham.

Lets get a formation and make it our own! Like Chelsea have done. Lets get something which is Leicester and clubs try to re-create :ermm:

Hey, we did that under O'neill, we brought 3-5-2 back into fashion!

Or

How about 2-3-5, it would solve the striker problem

Stearman----Mccarthy

Hughes---------Williams--------------Hammil

MDV---Hume---Dion---Fryatt---Elvis

GOALS GOALS GOALS written all over it (though... at which end?)

Hume is a striker, whjo plays very similar to Rooney. I don;t think we have the luxury of being able to play 2 strikers and Hume just behind them as the other players we have aren't right for the system.

I think Hume has been brilliant for us and people who think he isn't a striker are deluded. He likes to drop deep but also he likes to be in and around the box like a true striker does. The man varies his play and that's why he's so difficult for defenders to mark him.

If we effectively had 3 strikers where does that leave Smith as a natural winger and also who do you play as the other midfielders out of Hughes, Williams, Gudjonsson and Wesolowski?

Hume is a striker, whjo plays very similar to Rooney. I don;t think we have the luxury of being able to play 2 strikers and Hume just behind them as the other players we have aren't right for the system.

I think Hume has been brilliant for us and people who think he isn't a striker are deluded. He likes to drop deep but also he likes to be in and around the box like a true striker does. The man varies his play and that's why he's so difficult for defenders to mark him.

If we effectively had 3 strikers where does that leave Smith as a natural winger and also who do you play as the other midfielders out of Hughes, Williams, Gudjonsson and Wesolowski?

I was talking about the sheff wed game where smith and gudjonsson are unavailable :thumbup:

Archived