Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lush

We desperately need a midfield general

Dont hold back now ;)

Why thankyou kind sir ;)

Stephen clemence, jeez now your talking trash ;)

Knowing we cant get him and he isnt the answer, who at the club should play the holding role?

I just think Clemence would do a job for us. He's not afriad to put a boot in and has experience at the top level. He could provide that leadership.

However, more probable and possible more hopeful than that. I think I am fairly happy with the midfield four that did so well against Tottenham. Hughes, Williams, Gudjonsson, Smith.

It would get the best out of Williams playing alongside good players and allow us to keep the ball ticking over. Granted, we wouldn't have a true hard tackling defensive player so I would hope that the defence are able to concentrate at all times and play as a unit, with Gerrbrand stepping up to mop a loose ball or two if required.

Maybury in CM?? He's bad enough playing at full back. I'm not sure where you get the idea of him as a 'leader' from anyway, he's not demonstrated anything to show he has the necessary skills or heart to perform in that role.

Why do people assume that maybury`s rubbish because he plays OUT OF POSITION??? Dont you understand that :rolleyes:

Maybury is what, 26/27? In a young team, we need someone in the HR position that has footballing experience. Hes played for ireland, is defensive in nature (hes a defender by trade), hes actually done a decent job at LB. Playing at LB has enhanced his two footed skills a touch.

Of you are looking at the current squad, Gerrbrand may be able to fill in, he obviously is good defensively and is calm in possession but obviously it wouldn't be ideal.

I thought of him, but i thought maybury is more versatile. maybury`s better going forward to.

I dont say just cos it "sounds" right, i genuinely believe it, and ive been saying for MONTHS now, that we need a midfield general, but folk said "weve got joey", well joey although improved, is not up to it!!!

We need a Midfield General too

a big rumour up here at sheffield is that we are after or shuld sign Dennsi Wise

Good signing in my opinion

I hope not for your sake. Wednesday are a team I like (good memories at Hillsborough 97) so hope that you do not have to suffer that little money grabbing runt.

Give him half a chance and he will stab Sturrock in the back and try and get himself appointed manager.

He almost managed to weasel his way in at Southampton. What a surprise he stormed out, refused to come back but negotiated a big pay-off for himself. Nothing but trouble.

I still disagree with the general consensus on Williams. I think he is extremely talented. He has tremendous skill, vision and passing ability. He tracks back, follows and takes responsibility for his man. Yes

he is not a tackler
, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

To play the HR, YOU NEED TO BE GOOD AT TACKLING :rolleyes:

, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

To play the HR, YOU NEED TO BE GOOD AT TACKLING :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. You need to have good positional play. Williams has this. He can slow-up play to allow us to regroup and for others to get their boot in. Having said that Williams does put his boot in now and again.

My main criticism of Williams is that he is a quiet lad rather than a leader. If others step up to the plate, it won't be noticeable.

A midfield similar to Tottenham for me.

Hughes---Williams---Gudjonsson---Smith

To be fair to Levein, he would have played this today suspensions permitting.

I hope not for your sake. Wednesday are a team I like (good memories at Hillsborough 97) so hope that you do not have to suffer that little money grabbing runt.

Give him half a chance and he will stab Sturrock in the back and try and get himself appointed manager.

He almost managed to weasel his way in at Southampton. What a surprise he stormed out, refused to come back but negotiated a big pay-off for himself. Nothing but trouble.

Oh better not sign him then lol

I'd say reading of the game was more important. A holding midfielder makes more interceptions than they do tackles.

Well roy keane is more known for tackling, so is lennon, but i take your point, and yes, they need to be of a more inteligent player who can read and intercept the games flow.

Its rather strange, cos of the players craigs brought in, they tend to be somewhat inteligent (with de lump and kiso exceptions). With craig having been a CB, you wouldnt think we`d struggle defensively to poor teams like swfc.

I'd say reading of the game was more important. A holding midfielder makes more interceptions than they do tackles.

Billy McKinlay was ideal at that. That's the sort of player we need in the holding role.

He can slow-up play to allow us to regroup and for others to get their boot in. Having said that Williams does put his boot in now and again.

Others? Like hughes, or would you play a more defensive minded tackler alongside him :rolleyes: williams is scared of "putting his boot in", it might get dirty...

My main criticism of Williams is that he is a quiet lad rather than a leader. If others step up to the plate, it won't be noticeable.

Yes he is very quiet. I often glance at him, just watching the world go by, miming "give me the ball", SHOUT WILLIAMS, SHOUT FOR IT!!!!!

A midfield similar to Tottenham for me.

Hughes---Williams---Gudjonsson---Smith

To be fair to Levein, he would have played this today suspensions permitting.

TBF, no ones mentioned yet, our under strength team for today. Morris, weso, smith, joey, sylla, de lump and twato, all out. sheff wed were lucky they played us when they did.

Billy McKinlay was ideal at that. That's the sort of player we need in the holding role.

Agreed, or an ally mauchlen, as gibbo mentioned today. After the game on tut radio, gibbo was crying out for a all, or billy type player/leader. He must`ve been reading my mind :)

What about Richard Hughes of Portsmouth,Andy Johnson of West Brom or even Ian Evatt Of QPR.All big strong players who are good in the air and can get stuck in.Last two are definately available and Hughes must be down pecking order after 3 new midfield signings.Any would be 10 times better than Kisnorbo.

We're not had a proper holding midfielder since McKinley left. We let him go at least one year too soon and both Adams and Levein have made a major cock up by not replacing him. Nobody in the squad can do it. Kisnorbo hasn't even got the basic ability to control the ball so forget about him doing it. Hughes is clearly an attacking midfielder, as the same could be said about Williams and Gudjonsson. Both Williams or Gudjonnson have the required footballing ability to control and pass the ball, but neither has the ability, commitment or personality to tackle, track back, organise, motivate, inspire etc. and, importantly, tell their teammates off for doing something wrong. In other words, they can't do it. Not seen Wesolowski play so not sure if he can fill this role in the future.

We desparately need to buy someone, somehow from somewhere to do the above. Without that leader in the middle, we're a pushoever for every midfield we come up against.

Patrik Gerrbrand.

Composed , Confident and can play a 40 yarder pass easily. Like he did at Derby away.

It's a shout worth noting. He would probably be our current best available alternative. I think I'm going to start praying for Wesolowski to get fit as quick as possible. We so badly need him...

We're not had a proper holding midfielder since McKinley left. We let him go at least one year too soon and both Adams and Levein have made a major cock up by not replacing him. Nobody in the squad can do it. Kisnorbo hasn't even got the basic ability to control the ball so forget about him doing it. Hughes is clearly an attacking midfielder, as the same could be said about Williams and Gudjonsson. Both Williams or Gudjonnson have the required footballing ability to control and pass the ball, but neither has the ability, commitment or personality to tackle, track back, organise, motivate, inspire etc. and, importantly, tell their teammates off for doing something wrong. In other words, they can't do it.

Absolutely spot on!

Not seen Wesolowski play so not sure if he can fill this role in the future.

Weso has a desire to get forward, can tackle quite well, but hes not a leader. He no doubt will be in the future.

We desparately need to buy someone, somehow from somewhere to do the above. Without that leader in the middle, we're a pushoever for every midfield we come up against.

Absolutely, if you watch sheffs first goal, they made kiso and hughes look disinterested in football, with a one-two, and even then, you`d have thought macarthy would`ve come racing out his area to close down the oncoming shot. Even johanson (who i considered to be a leader) shit it for their 2nd goal, why dint he jump :rolleyes: With "fight" like this, we have no chance.

Archived