Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Deja vu...

A lot of you will be too young to remember the 1990-91 season. We had players like Walsh, Mills, James, Reid, Ramsey, Wright etc, but we ended up having to win the last game of the season, and rely on WBA cocking up to remain one of now two teams never to have played outside of the top two divisions.

Even with those players, the majority of whom over-performed under Brain Little, we came close to the darkest days in our club's history. The reason for where we were lay at the door of the manager, David Pleat.

Yesterday, I was taken back to those days. Do we really have the third worst team or squad in this division? No. So why are we where we are?

As most people who read my thoughts on the playing side will know, I've been sitting on the fence. I don't see the point in chaning manager, it quite often disrupts more than gets results. I can't see who would come in to take over our club, with the state it is in. These arguments have been made elsewhere.

What I most wanted to get across was the fact I don't like being in a relegation battle, let alone in one of the three condemned spaces. I don't like seeing us outperforming the opposition in the sense that we try so hard to be the worst team on the pitch. And I don't want to go through 'Oxford Utd' ever again.

At the moment, we can still get ourselves out of this mess. It won't be long before we have to rely on others misfortune, however. I'm starting to think we need to take action now, not later. The 'Levein Out' argument is getting stronger. Without a plausible replacement, I'm still not quite there, but by the end of the month I could quite easily have jumped off of the fence.

The Arse are breaking records all over the place, especially Thierry Henry. As things stand at present, they will soon be the only club in English football never to play outside the top two divisions. :cry:

Yes I remember it quite clearly as a despondent 14 year old.

Those days, I'm afraid, are upon us - but those players in 1991 have just basically WON the Grand Masters Tournament in Britain - don't think our current crop could do that !!

We are poor at the moment, but not on paper. There needs to be some harsh words instilled into the players from Levein, but I think that he's incapable.

I'm sick of saying it

What we need is a decent coach, I'm not saying sack the ones we have now but just someone until the end of the season who been there and done it!

The other half says the same thing. It's just noone at the club is doing anything. It's like our little piece of history means nothing to them.

The other half says the same thing. It's just noone at the club is doing anything. It's like our little piece of history means nothing to them.

Why would it? most of them have only been there 5 minutes. The curse of modern football means they'll dump us in league 1 and then walk away cos they feel they should be at a higher level, even if they couldn't perform at that higher level for us. :mad:

My connections to the club don't reach as far back. I can understand, though, that being only one out of two clubs never been outside the two highest football leagues in England is a proud achievement. And I can also understand that we can't leave that honour to a London club solely.

What I sense is a huge concern from the fans and that the club, the manager and the players lose themselves in the same repetitious and lame excuses over and over.

What we need is a leader. And there are many "ifs":

If only Craig Levein would finally able to admit having made mistakes, if only the players would finally take the finger out their ass and show compassion and fighting spirit for the club, if only Jon Barber would stop making himself look like an idiot while sweettalking the poor performances of the squad week in, week out. If only the club would put more pressure on the team.

If only the fans' complaints were heard.

Something's quite rotten within LCFC and nobody wants to take the blame.

I thought it was more like ten aswell? surely the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle havent been outside the top two divisions either...? If it is just ourselves and Arsenal then thats a mighty fan record and I'd wager as much as I hate to say it, that we are going down, and Levein will have shattered a pretty impressive record of ours.. thanks pratt... =/

I'm sorry I don't know who else would come in and I'm not saying a new manager would guarantee us staying up because we know it wouldn't but things under Levein are always just same old same old, we pray for a win each week and each week we just get the same old shit. IMO we do have one of the better squads in the divison and to be where we are in the table almost defies belief. We are already the laughing stock of the division, and that's before we are fkin relegated...

Levein you are an ass.. <_<

I thought it was more like ten aswell? surely the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle havent been outside the top two divisions either...? If it is just ourselves and Arsenal then thats a mighty fan record and I'd wager as much as I hate to say it, that we are going down, and Levein will have shattered a pretty impressive record of ours.. thanks pratt... =/

I'm sorry I don't know who else would come in and I'm not saying a new manager would guarantee us staying up because we know it wouldn't but things under Levein are always just same old same old, we pray for a win each week and each week we just get the same old shit. IMO we do have one of the better squads in the divison and to be where we are in the table almost defies belief. We are already the laughing stock of the division, and that's before we are fkin relegated...

Levein you are an ass.. <_<

I think some of the teams you mention, although they may not of been relegated to the lower leagues, they started off in them.

I think some of the teams you mention, although they may not of been relegated to the lower leagues, they started off in them.

is this info on the internet anywhere? I've searchedf for it but I can't find anything saying what teams have never played outside the top 2 divisions.. =/

I take it Forest were one of 3 last year seeings as this year is their first year outside the top two divisions??

I think forest have been outside the top 2 prior to last year.

Lisa I agree except the bit where you think he should get a bit longer, we already have only 18 games left and new management will be harder to bring in with less games left, they will also need as many games as possible to turn it around. Preferably some of the transfer window as well.

Under Levein I cannot see a win in the forseeable future so I think it is now the case of cutting our losses.

There are actually TEN teams who have NEVER played outside the top two divisions in English football. Apart from ourselves, these are as follows:

Arsenal

Chelsea

Everton

Leeds

Liverpool

Manchester United

Newcastle

Tottenham

West Ham

Quite an impressive club. It's a shame we're about to be expelled from it!

A lot of you will be too young to remember the 1990-91 season. We had players like Walsh, Mills, James, Reid, Ramsey, Wright etc, but we ended up having to win the last game of the season, and rely on WBA cocking up to remain one of now two teams never to have played outside of the top two divisions.

Even with those players, the majority of whom over-performed under Brain Little, we came close to the darkest days in our club's history. The reason for where we were lay at the door of the manager, David Pleat.

Yesterday, I was taken back to those days. Do we really have the third worst team or squad in this division? No. So why are we where we are?

As most people who read my thoughts on the playing side will know, I've been sitting on the fence. I don't see the point in chaning manager, it quite often disrupts more than gets results. I can't see who would come in to take over our club, with the state it is in. These arguments have been made elsewhere.

What I most wanted to get across was the fact I don't like being in a relegation battle, let alone in one of the three condemned spaces. I don't like seeing us outperforming the opposition in the sense that we try so hard to be the worst team on the pitch. And I don't want to go through 'Oxford Utd' ever again.

At the moment, we can still get ourselves out of this mess. It won't be log before we have to rely on others misfortune, however. I'm starting to think we need to take action now, not later. The 'Levein Out' argument is getting stronger. Without a plausible replacement, I'm still not quite there, but by the end of the month I could quite easily have jumped off of the fence.

The Arse are breaking records all over the place, especially Thierry Henry. As things stand at present, they will soon be the only club in English football never to play outside the top two divisions. :cry:

Yes I remember those days, going to Ipswich away. We lost 3-2, i got concussed as there was a surge to the fence and I ended up sat on the grass by the pitch being tended to by a St Johns guy as Millsey missed a pen! GUTTED! Then our fans chased theirs out of the ground! :thumbup:

There are actually TEN teams who have NEVER played outside the top two divisions in English football. Apart from ourselves, these are as follows:

Arsenal

Chelsea

Everton

Leeds

Liverpool

Manchester United

Newcastle

Tottenham

West Ham

Quite an impressive club. It's a shame we're about to be expelled from it!

didn't Man. Utd start out as a lower league club though? Newton Heath or something..? My friend tells me.. where did you find this list of teams?

I think forest have been outside the top 2 prior to last year.

Lisa I agree except the bit where you think he should get a bit longer, we already have only 18 games left and new management will be harder to bring in with less games left, they will also need as many games as possible to turn it around. Preferably some of the transfer window as well.

Under Levein I cannot see a win in the forseeable future so I think it is now the case of cutting our losses.

I'm not saying give him longer, as such. I can't see an alternative, that's my problem.

didn't Man. Utd start out as a lower league club though? Newton Heath or something..? My friend tells me.. where did you find this list of teams?

They did, but they were never outside the top two divisions.

The list can be found through looking in the Sky Sports Yearbook.

I remember some terrible games from that season. We had a chaotic defence. My abiding memory was how poisonous the atmosphere got in some home matches. League attendances dropped to about 8,000 that year. Something for the current purse holders to mull over... :huh:

Archived