Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcsoul66

Mike Newell?

Turns out that 4 year deal hasn't been agreed yet.

I bloody hope he signs because I don't want the rumours flying again.

Newell denies new contract claim

Luton boss Mike Newell has denied a claim made by Hatters' chairman Bill Tomlins that he has agreed a new four-year deal at Kenilworth Road.

_41453378_newellbod203.jpg

He said: "I haven't signed a new contract and I haven't agreed anything.

"A new contract was sent to my solicitor on Friday, but I haven't seen it yet and I doubt whether my solicitor has even had a chance to read it.

"People are jumping the gun a little bit. I wouldn't put things out in public when they haven't been agreed."

Asked after Luton's win against Derby if he was surprised he said: "Surprised isn't the word.

"I was watching the racing at Cheltenham when my phone started buzzing and beeping with messages from people saying 'congratulations on your new four-year deal' so I turned over to see what they were reading.

"In a way it's nice the club want me to stay, but I'm annoyed at the way it's come out.

Newell added: "I'm happy here and I don't anticipate there being a problem, but I get a bit frustrated at times when people put things out that shouldn't be put out."

Tomlins had told the club website: "I am pleased to confirm that the club's offer of a new four-year contract has been agreed.

"It will be signed after consultation with Mike's solicitor. I believe this commitment reflects Mike's belief he can achieve his ambitions with Luton."

Newell was hotly tipped to take over at Leicester following the departure of Craig Levein in January.

And even after publicly stating he wanted to stay at Luton, the rumours linking Newell to the Leicester post continued.

Tomlins added: "Even when speculation was rife, Michael always indicated his desire to stay with us. His record here speaks volumes."

if i was Kelly i'd quit while i was ahead. think about it he would go down in History as the man who not only kept city up (hopefully) but in such a fantastic way, he also restored pride to the city fans and players and has had absolutly incredible wins over Millwall and OPR when we have not won there in 37 and 20 years repectively. he would go down as a city legend.

but i do want him to stay though lol

That's my point - we didn't know he was going to be a failure (before he got here), hence he use of unproven. I think my choice/use of words was just dodgy. In comparrison, consider Mick McCarthy. We know he's a failure. He's proved himself a failure this season.

He got Sunderland to win this league last season with relative ease, and this season he's not managed to get Sunderland to do anything much worth note. He's not the man to take us forward. He sounded a bit like Levein too, it seems - I listen to his post match comments after the highlights show on Sunday - and he was forever saying things like "we're on the right lines" as if he was going to stubbornly stick to the same line-up week in week out and get thrashed.

In simple terms without dodgy word use:

Craig Levein: before he got here, he wasn't a failure and we didn't think he would/could be. But in the end he was a failure.

Mick McCarthy: if he joined us, he'd be coming here as a failure - he totally cocked-up at Sunderland for all to see.

I'm not saying that i want McCarthy here at all, but i think the reason he fooked up at sunderland this year was because of appalling buys (Stead - £1.8mil and no goals this season) and also he didnt spend enough money generally on the squad. Reading and West Ham both spent around £7mil, maybe a bit more, whereas sunderlands was no where near. He's still a good manager IMO, but again, i dont want him here because Kelly is doin a good job.

Actually, I read somewhere that upon being promoted Sunderland spent 4.25 million (on 10 players, tho he did bring in 2 on loan), West Ham 4.8 million (9 players) and Wigan 5.95 million (11 players). So it's not like he spent much less than the others.

He went for quantity, not quality. He signed 12 players in total, 2 of them on loan. He bought shite like Stead, and countless other muppets who score less often than our MDV. Hence the reason he wasn't allowed any more money to spend. His record in transfers was horrendous. Only a total moron would give a prat like him even more money to piss away.

As an example, he spent a total of 2.9 of his 4.25 million buying Stead and Gray who, as of March 6th - the day of McCarthy's exit, had managed just one goal between them. And people said we were daft to spend around 300k for Hammond who had 3 league goals by then.

If he wasn't such a useless manager in the transfer market, he might still have a job. Shame he was sacked, perhaps we could have convinced him to part with a million pounds for the services of Sylla :rolleyes:

I read that it was 7mil plus spent by wigan and west ham in the times not so long ago. where are your figures from, just out of interest? mine are from the sunday times :thumbup:

The numbers quoted were an article at BBC Sport - and they were the numbers for the close-season signings only. It does mention that Wigan did spend an extra 2mil in January - which would push them well past 7 million total. Here's the article - What went wrong for Sunderland?

Specifically:

McCarthy claimed his hands were tied in the transfer market and the club had prepared for relegation before the season had even began - something Murray vehemently denied.

Sunderland signed 12 players last summer after winning promotion back to the Premiership - including two on loan - for a conservative £4.25m.

But Wigan and West Ham also overhauled their squads in the summer, and without breaking the bank.

Hammers boss Alan Pardew spent £4.8m on nine players before the season began, while Wigan manager Paul Jewell brought in 11 players for £5.95m.

West Ham only loosened the purse strings in the January transfer window when their top flight status was secured, spending £7.25m on Dean Ashton.

At the same time Wigan splashed £2m on Paul Scharner, while McCarthy's only action was to bring in Rory Delap from Southampton and Kevin Smith from Leeds, both on free transfers.

Archived