Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcsoul66

Mike Newell?

'Surely Nobody can still want Mike Newell as Leicester manager? '

Discuss with reference to Leicester's fine form under the God like leadership of Rob Kelly and the fact that Luton are dropping like a stone!

Discuss with reference to Leicester's fine form under the God like leadership of Rob Kelly and the fact that Luton are dropping like a stone!

indeed no to mike 'square face' newell

yes to Rob 'oneills lovechild, kelly

I agree totally,

Rob Kelly seems like a motivator, just what Leicester needed rather than some mono-toned Haggis Muncher.

My only concern (and its not a big one) is that rob Kelly may not have experience of bringing in new players, however some backroom staff could help.

I'm looking forward to a top half finish and a promotion push (play offs)next year.

Robert Kelly's Blue and White army

I agree totally,

Rob Kelly seems like a motivator, just what Leicester needed rather than some mono-toned Haggis Muncher.

My only concern (and its not a big one) is that rob Kelly may not have experience of bringing in new players, however some backroom staff could help.

I'm looking forward to a top half finish and a promotion push (play offs)next year.

Robert Kelly's Blue and White army

Graydon's been a manager during his career, he should know a thing or two about signing players.

And we may add another coach with experience - I mean, we still only have 3 first team coaches, including Rob himself.

Thinking about it, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the coaching staff if RK is given the job beyond the end of this season. Will we stick with the current setup? Will we bring in more coaches? I can see Stowell staying on, but what's Graydon's situation - will he be replaced? It's very exciting :thumbup:

Kelly must be the favourite for the job. I have reservations about him getting it, not just on the signing front but because of caretaker managers in the past who have been good at keeping sides up but when they have to plan for the future have been found lacking. Then again there have been ones that have become successful...he'd certainly be the cheaper option.

If we are going to go for someone other than Kelly I wouldn't go for Newell (what was said on the phone in on Monday rang true with me, when we didn't know how Rob was going to perform Newell seemed like a good idea but now that we're almost safe we have far more/better options), I'd go for Billy Davies (if Preston don't get promoted).

Kelly must be the favourite for the job. I have reservations about him getting it, not just on the signing front but because of caretaker managers in the past who have been good at keeping sides up but when they have to plan for the future have been found lacking. Then again there have been ones that have become successful...he'd certainly be the cheaper option.

If we are going to go for someone other than Kelly I wouldn't go for Newell (what was said on the phone in on Monday rang true with me, when we didn't know how Rob was going to perform Newell seemed like a good idea but now that we're almost safe we have far more/better options), I'd go for Billy Davies (if Preston don't get promoted).

Rob Kelly is doing his chances of getting the job on a permenant basis no harm at all, but it would be foolish of Leicester to hand him a contract, without checking the avaliability of managers in close season, we might miss out on a better target.

Rob Kelly is doing his chances of getting the job on a permenant basis no harm at all, but it would be foolish of Leicester to hand him a contract, without checking the avaliability of managers in close season, we might miss out on a better target.

How long before a new contract is announced then? :rolleyes:

Personally i hope he slums it at Luton for his managerial career !! never liked im!!! ... pikey sh*te .. this is not a stab at pikeys just i live in the area andbelieve me cant walk round without brushing up against a caravan .. :)

I believe that there's a contract on the table for Kelly but he's in no rush to sign it. If he decides his future lies elsewhere then I expect the Board to go for Newell. The summer could be very interesting.

Rob Kelly has great knowledge of players, he was a scout at Blackburn if i remember correctly. Keep him in, I wouldnt mind McCarthy coming into help next season as well :)

I don't want Mick McCarthy anywhere near us. He totally cocked up at Sunderland, that's plain for all to see.

Still, I suppose it's better to hire a proven failure (McCarthy) than an unproven failure from Scotland (Levein) - at least you know exactly where you stand.

I don't want Mick McCarthy anywhere near us. He totally cocked up at Sunderland, that's plain for all to see.

Still, I suppose it's better to hire a proven failure (McCarthy) than an unproven failure from Scotland (Levein) - at least you know exactly where you stand.

He wasn't a failure before he got here though was he? What exactly did he fail at up in Scotland? Failed to get Hearts to win the league? That's some expectation! He has failed down here though, but we didn't know he would even if some proclaim they did!

We should have lts of reservations about Newell. He didn't do too well at Hartlepool and his eighteen month run at Luton (who were hot favourites for promotion the year he took over - when they didn't get anywhere near) seems to be over. In terms of charisma, he doesn't compare to Rob Kelly. In fact, he doesn't compare to Craig Levein. He may well be an excellent manager and he'd be a promising appointment, but only in the absence of a 'better gamble'. We have only a few clues as to whether Rob Kelly is any good, but the early signs are extremely positive. Plus, the players want him there and we know he supports the policy of building a team for the future. He represents continuity and even if his next eight games aren't as spectacular as the last, we should think long and hard before bringing in somebody who could break up our squad. On top of that, he's bright and energetic. In my opinion, at the moment at least, Kelly is a 'better gamble' than Newell. In fact, to be honest, there are one or two other names knocking about who I'd probably prefer as well (Allen, Parkinson, Davies).

I believe that there's a contract on the table for Kelly but he's in no rush to sign it. If he decides his future lies elsewhere then I expect the Board to go for Newell. The summer could be very interesting.

Why would Kelly not wish to continue? He has his own team of coaches and knows all the players. Why would he not wish to take his chance of building something special from those sound foundations?

However, IF there are reasons he doesn't want to commit to the club (like all the administrative nonsense that seems to be disrupting the club's internal bonhomie) then the sooner it is sorted the better.

No thanks.

He wasn't a failure before he got here though was he? What exactly did he fail at up in Scotland? Failed to get Hearts to win the league? That's some expectation! He has failed down here though, but we didn't know he would even if some proclaim they did!

That's my point - we didn't know he was going to be a failure (before he got here), hence he use of unproven. I think my choice/use of words was just dodgy. In comparrison, consider Mick McCarthy. We know he's a failure. He's proved himself a failure this season.

He got Sunderland to win this league last season with relative ease, and this season he's not managed to get Sunderland to do anything much worth note. He's not the man to take us forward. He sounded a bit like Levein too, it seems - I listen to his post match comments after the highlights show on Sunday - and he was forever saying things like "we're on the right lines" as if he was going to stubbornly stick to the same line-up week in week out and get thrashed.

In simple terms without dodgy word use:

Craig Levein: before he got here, he wasn't a failure and we didn't think he would/could be. But in the end he was a failure.

Mick McCarthy: if he joined us, he'd be coming here as a failure - he totally cocked-up at Sunderland for all to see.

Surely the most surprising news in football today... Newell has signed a new 4-year deal with Luton. Hope his agent got a nice wedge out of whispering to the press last week...

Newell agrees new Luton deal

By Peter ORourke - Created on 17 Mar 2006

Mike Newell has ended speculation over his future by agreeing a new deal at Luton.

The former Everton and Blackburn striker's future has been the subject of intense speculation for some time.

Newell has been linked with a possible switch to old club Leicester as well as other vacant managerial positions.

The former Hartlepool chief has done an impressive job at Kenilworth Road and Luton chairman Bill Tomlins was delighted to secure Newell's long-term future.

"With so much national and local speculation and mis-information on Michael's future as our manager, I am pleased to confirm, with Michael's approval, that the club's offer of a new four-year contract has been agreed and will be signed after consultation with his solicitor," Tomlins told the club's official website.

"Michael's tremendous achievements, since his arrival at the club, are well documented and I believe that this new long term commitment from him, reflects Michael's loyalty and belief that he can further develop and achieve his football ambitions with Luton Town Football Club.

"His record speaks volumes and we are delighted that he has agreed to commit his future with us.

"Even when speculation was rife, Michael always indicated his desire to stay with us."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=37...+new+Luton+deal

Has he actually signed it or just agreed it.

From the Luton OS:

Luton Town can confirm that their manager, Michael Newell, has agreed a new four-year contract with the club.

Luton Chairman Bill Tomlins said: "With so much national and local speculation and miss-information on Michael's future as our manager, I am pleased to confirm, with Michael's approval, that the clubs offer of a new four-year contract has been agreed and will be signed after consultation with his solicitor.

"Michael's tremendous achievements, since his arrival at the club, are well documented and I believe that this new long term commitment from him, reflects Michael's loyalty and belief that he can further develop and achieve his football ambitions with Luton Town Football Club.

"His record speaks volumes and we are delighted that he has agreed to commit his future with us. Even when speculation was rife, Michael always indicated his desire to stay with us."

Has he actually signed it or just agreed it.

From the Luton OS:

Luton Town can confirm that their manager, Michael Newell, has agreed a new four-year contract with the club.

Luton Chairman Bill Tomlins said: "With so much national and local speculation and miss-information on Michael's future as our manager, I am pleased to confirm, with Michael's approval, that the clubs offer of a new four-year contract has been agreed and will be signed after consultation with his solicitor.

"His record speaks volumes and we are delighted that he has agreed to commit his future with us. Even when speculation was rife, Michael always indicated his desire to stay with us."

I don't think he would have agreed to the chairman releasing any sort of pre-signatory statement unless he was happy with the new deal. He knows he would be on potentially very slippery ground if he tried to get Kelly's job in the present circumstances.

Until he actually puts his name on the paper nothing is 100% certain but the latest development knocks holes in national news outlet reports that he'll be joining us in the summer.

Agreeing a four year deal doesn't suggest that is in his mind at all and it would take entirely new and totally unexpected developments, involving various parties, to change that.

what a tosser-I hope they're happy together. No ambition if he thinks he can achieve anything at Luton that he couldn't achieve with us. Let's hope the board recognise what a gem they've unearthed albeit by accident and offer RK a contract. I wouldn't want anybody who shows such lack of desire to join us -.

RobKellysblueand whitearmy!!!!!! ;)

Archived