Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Martin Allen Quits

Brentford - source

Martin Allen has resigned as manager of Brentford amid rumours that his transfer budget would be cut from next season.The boss had feared failure in the play-offs for a second successive season would lead to cuts to his budget in the forthcoming campaign. With a host of clubs confirmed admirers of his talents, Allen had admitted he may be forced to consider his options.

He said: "If the playing budget is cut, I will have a decision to make on my career. I have one year to go on my contract and I want to get on with the job. "I will be discussing what budget I will be given to bring in new players with (chairman) Greg Dyke and (director) John Herting on Monday. But I understand the financial restraints and I don't want to be the manager who makes this great club go bust." Now Allen has quit his job at Griffin Park but as yet neither Allen or the club have confirmed the reasons behind the decision.

From Sky:

Martin Allen has resigned as manager of Brentford following the club's failure to win promotion through the play-offs this past season.

The former Barnet boss leaves Griffin Park after a little more than two years in the post, having succeeded Wally Downes towards the latter stages of the 2003/04 season.

After helping The Bees avoid relegation that season, Allen transformed the South West London outfit into a promotion contender in season 2004/05, earning them a play-off semi-final clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

Brentford lost 3-1 on aggregate to the eventual League One playoff winners in The Owls, but his side bounced back to make the play-offs this past season.

However, a 3-1 aggregate defeat to Swansea City meant another season in League One for The Bees.

The situation has prompted reports that Allen was considering his future as Bees boss - unless funds were made available to strengthen the squad for next season.

Though the club have yet to confirm Allen's departure, it looks likely that both parties have failed to agree on the direction Brentford looks set take for next season

Archived