Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

LCFC Chairman's Views On...

Regarding the question posed by Bill Phelan and the answer given by the Chairman...these are my thoughts...

I am a "BME" - a Black and Minority Ethnic, on forms I am a British Indian Muslim. I attend about 10 home games a season and considered purchasing a season ticket, but even at those prices can't afford one. When I attend matches I do notice the lack of black and brown faces in the crowds (strangely enough, the boxes have no shortage of Asians - which speaks volumes about this topic).

As the Chairman says, many younger fans are supporting the richer more successful premier league clubs - be it black kids, brown kids or white kids. I grew up in Highfields, where supporting Leicester City was unheard of. I have read numerous stories on here about how someone saw their first game with their dad in 1964 sitting on someone’s shoulders. For those of us Asian and black kids born here as "second or third generation", the club we followed was dependent on which names we saw on the television. Our parents do not have the concept of sitting on the terraces or declaring allegiance for your home town team. Any understanding of football by them was surrounded in negativity - even to this day my mum reminds me to be careful when I go to the Walkers Stadium, and she's lived here for 41 of her 44 years, speaks better English than most people and has a decent education to boot.

The first time I knew Leicester City Football Club existed was when they played Blackburn Rovers in the play-off finals over a decade ago. Like I said, as far as many of us "BMEs" were concerned, the only clubs that existed were those that appeared on TV.

When you watch Man Utd or Liverpool on TV, you will notice a lot more black and brown faces in the crowd, of a relatively young age (say under 30). This is the market Leicester City will attract if it starts to become a success on the pitch. No matter how many gimmicks they introduce, no matter how many link ups they create with Indian League clubs, until the team starts to win something, they might as well save their efforts for something else.

A recent study showed that Bangladeshi kids and Asian kids in general played more football than any other ethnic groups - including white. For those of us living in Highfields this was pretty obvious. The lack of an Asian role model on the pitch is therefore something that to this day grates amongst Asians. This is a huge topic in itself In short, there are Asian lads playing for the England cricket team, and a few players have broken into top premiership sides. But, in 2006, there still isn't one single Asian player kids can look up too. Until that happens, Asian attendance in the crowds will always be relatively low.

As a side note - my dad just came back from a Leicester 20-20 game, sporting a Leicestershire foxes top, and with a big smile on his face. He's 45 but only came to this country aged 20. Asians love cricket, but even in Leicester grace road rarely has any Asian faces - until 20-20 started.

So I think the key factor for LCFC if they want to attract more "BME" fans - is to start bloody winning more!

I am finding the superficial coverage of these topics slightly patronising, being polite about it.

Maybe, if the club was serious about engaging the fans in a debate, then the chairman wouldn't be so damn conceited and guarded when replying to questions.

As a side note - my dad just came back from a Leicester 20-20 game, sporting a Leicestershire foxes top, and with a big smile on his face. He's 45 but only came to this country aged 20. Asians love cricket, but even in Leicester grace road rarely has any Asian faces - until 20-20 started.
You see a lot more faces full stop at Twenty20, to be fair. Probably because it's played at a time people can get to it!

Archived