Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Feedback from the Kelly evening - nicked from another forum

Crewe scored more goals than us last season and got relegated. It is equally important to prevent goals going in which players like maybury and Tiatto should aid

Of course we don't want to be shipping goals. Our defence wasn't too bad last season but still conceded over a goal a game and Tiatto was hardly involved, certainly in the second half of the season, when the most significant improvement was Kisnorbo's new role at centre-back.

Then we remained fairly sound defensively - as sound as can be expected in our division - so why do we need to shore up that department still more when the statistics suggest we'll need to score two goals per match to expect a win.

Crewe scored goals then cashed in their rampant centre-forward. I doubt they'd have been relegated had they kept him. It wasn't just the goals he got they lost, but the attention he demanded from the opposition.

Once he was gone Crewe's defence, presumably, came under more pressure becuase they had no-one else who warranted two minders.

Of course we don't want to be shipping goals. Our defence wasn't too bad last season but still conceded over a goal a game and Tiatto was hardly involved, certainly in the second half of the season, when the most significant improvement was Kisnorbo's new role at centre-back.

Then we remained fairly sound defensively - as sound as can be expected in our division - so why do we need to shore up that department still more when the statistics suggest we'll need to score two goals per match to expect a win.

Crewe scored goals then cashed in their rampant centre-forward. I doubt they'd have been relegated had they kept him. It wasn't just the goals he got they lost, but the attention he demanded from the opposition.

Once he was gone Crewe's defence, presumably, came under more pressure becuase they had no-one else who warranted two minders.

which striker?

Phew... Its been a while since I've actually posted on here; still kept checking back to see the latest news all th time, but thats been about it- the joys of working life!

Just thought I'd add my twopennorth about Rob Kelly and his team.

Rob Kelly seems to be a genuine bloke, unlike Levein, he actually has a modicum of tactical nouse. However, I've been totally uninspired by most of his signings. I know the regular argument goes- 'we don't have much money to spend' but that really just seems like carp to me. In my view he didn't strengthen the squad in the areas it actually needs strengthening in. I am great believer in making the squad better, not just 'filling in the numbers' but that is exactly what has happened. Only Johnson actually improves the team. Kenton is a good player and McAuley is promising but they don't make us a better squad- everyone knows that McCarthy and Kisnorbo are first choice. We also have Gerrbrand and Nisse as back up. Do we actually need another another two back ups? Seems like a waste to me.

What we needed was genuine width and a decent goalkeeper- we didn't get either. Its already clear Josh Low is not going to be first choice- so what was the point in buying him? He doesnt improve the squad. Its been said elsewhere in the thread but it leaves us really short in terms of goals. Hume's never been prolific and this puts a lot of pressure on Fryatt. So our central midfield needs to step up the plate or we're going to have major problems this season. Its something that it failed to do last season, and the season before. Williams and Hughes need to pull their socks up and sort it out. Weso is promising, but clearly injury prone and we can't rely on him to last the whole of a 46 game season without picking some kind of injury up. So I don't see things being all that different.

We'll finish mid-table but no better. Although, I hope I'm wrong.

Phew... Its been a while since I've actually posted on here; still kept checking back to see the latest news all th time, but thats been about it- the joys of working life!

Just thought I'd add my twopennorth about Rob Kelly and his team.

Rob Kelly seems to be a genuine bloke, unlike Levein, he actually has a modicum of tactical nouse. However, I've been totally uninspired by most of his signings. I know the regular argument goes- 'we don't have much money to spend' but that really just seems like carp to me. In my view he didn't strengthen the squad in the areas it actually needs strengthening in. I am great believer in making the squad better, not just 'filling in the numbers' but that is exactly what has happened. Only Johnson actually improves the team. Kenton is a good player and McAuley is promising but they don't make us a better squad- everyone knows that McCarthy and Kisnorbo are first choice. We also have Gerrbrand and Nisse as back up. Do we actually need another another two back ups? Seems like a waste to me.

What we needed was genuine width and a decent goalkeeper- we didn't get either. Its already clear Josh Low is not going to be first choice- so what was the point in buying him? He doesnt improve the squad. Its been said elsewhere in the thread but it leaves us really short in terms of goals. Hume's never been prolific and this puts a lot of pressure on Fryatt. So our central midfield needs to step up the plate or we're going to have major problems this season. Its something that it failed to do last season, and the season before. Williams and Hughes need to pull their socks up and sort it out. Weso is promising, but clearly injury prone and we can't rely on him to last the whole of a 46 game season without picking some kind of injury up. So I don't see things being all that different.

We'll finish mid-table but no better. Although, I hope I'm wrong.

Sadly, I don't think you are wrong but we do all live in hope. :whistle:

to be honest i think you should all use the new season to try and be positive!

ok so tiatto and maybury will play on the wing big deal! why you are all so concened with midfielders contributing so many goals baffles me?

yeah its nice to have a lampard or gerrard to knock 20 in from midfield but did a liverpool or chelsea striker get anywhere near that figure? no

we have fryatt and hume upfront who i can see scoring in excess of 15+ goals a piece we have hammond whos finishing is looking sharper and we also have o'grady who is looking like this year is going to be making a big contribution to the first team.

yeah ok i admit tiatto and maybury hardly flying wingers who are going to be putting loads of balls into the box but why do we need to play through the wings anyway? hume and fryatt are hardly the biggest of players so dont envisage them scoring many headed goals.

under martin o'neill we had heskey, marshall, elliott and walsh so we worked alot on set pieces that was our strength big men who where good in the air. even arsene wenger commented leicester were the best side in europe at set pieces. we played to our strengths.

we don't have that anymore, but what we do have upfront now is pace.. ok maybe u wont see tiatto and maybury bombing about upfront or on the wing but they are both very competent defensively so if they tuck in that allows hughes, weso and any other centre midfielders to get up and support the front two. play through balls and utilise what we have.

anyone go to the derby game at home last season?

fryatt and hume made derbys defence look like park players even darren moore said that they were the best pairing he had played against in a long while.

we have the players to do well this season. yes we'd love to see attacking play down the wings and score a shed load of goals from midfield but we don't have the players or the money to make that happen at the minute. but what we do have is a good front pairing (i'd say it was in top 3 in league) who i feel will deliver this season.

so lets get behind the boys and let them show us what they can do this season under kelly. i may be wrong we may struggle to score goals and kelly may have to address the situation. but i think levi porter and josh low could at any point be added to add a bit more attacking flair. porter like weso and o'grady will become a big part of our 1st team maybe even louis dodds.

i may be wrong. hell it wouldnt be the first time! but new season, new start!

lets back the boys!

BLUE ARMY!

to be honest i think you should all use the new season to try and be positive!

ok so tiatto and maybury will play on the wing big deal! why you are all so concened with midfielders contributing so many goals baffles me?

yeah its nice to have a lampard or gerrard to knock 20 in from midfield but did a liverpool or chelsea striker get anywhere near that figure? no

we have fryatt and hume upfront who i can see scoring in excess of 15+ goals a piece we have hammond whos finishing is looking sharper and we also have o'grady who is looking like this year is going to be making a big contribution to the first team.

yeah ok i admit tiatto and maybury hardly flying wingers who are going to be putting loads of balls into the box but why do we need to play through the wings anyway? hume and fryatt are hardly the biggest of players so dont envisage them scoring many headed goals.

under martin o'neill we had heskey, marshall, elliott and walsh so we worked alot on set pieces that was our strength big men who where good in the air. even arsene wenger commented leicester were the best side in europe at set pieces. we played to our strengths.

we don't have that anymore, but what we do have upfront now is pace.. ok maybe u wont see tiatto and maybury bombing about upfront or on the wing but they are both very competent defensively so if they tuck in that allows hughes, weso and any other centre midfielders to get up and support the front two. play through balls and utilise what we have.

anyone go to the derby game at home last season?

fryatt and hume made derbys defence look like park players even darren moore said that they were the best pairing he had played against in a long while.

we have the players to do well this season. yes we'd love to see attacking play down the wings and score a shed load of goals from midfield but we don't have the players or the money to make that happen at the minute. but what we do have is a good front pairing (i'd say it was in top 3 in league) who i feel will deliver this season.

so lets get behind the boys and let them show us what they can do this season under kelly. i may be wrong we may struggle to score goals and kelly may have to address the situation. but i think levi porter and josh low could at any point be added to add a bit more attacking flair. porter like weso and o'grady will become a big part of our 1st team maybe even louis dodds.

i may be wrong. hell it wouldnt be the first time! but new season, new start!

lets back the boys!

BLUE ARMY!

:welcome: That kind of optimism will drain away from you after being on here for a while. ;):thumbup:

Archived