Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Population-1

No Outlet - No Threat

First things first, this is day one, so lets not all over-react and commence the forecasts of impending doom. However, in my opinion we made life far too easy for Luton today by having no outlet, no significant threat other than the front two to worry the Luton backline. Newell knew full well that by eliminating the threat of Fryatt and Hume he basically nullified our attack. Maybury does not reach the byline enough for a supposed right-winger and Tiatto is constantly looking to dive into his favoured position in the centre.

This can work in theory if you have the players to use the space, but neither Stearman nor Johansson are wing-backs per se and Nils is never going to threaten down that flank. Hammond should have started for Tiatto (who I personally would not like to see take the blame for the performance) and we desperately need to recruit a left-back. Nils is too easy to drift past (lacking the crucial component of pace in that position) so bascially we have no threat down either flank - particularly the left. Sheehan is not the answer yet as has been proven in pre-season.

We are not going to pull up trees but I must say I agree with the astute comments of Thracian, this is our opportunity to blood some young players and ensure a positive results from the season. Worryingly, Johnson looked very much like an Adams buy today - biding his time in the lower leagues until retirement. We need more O'Grady's who have every motivation to perform this season and establish themselves long-term. Another worry was the seeming lack of communciation at the back - Kenton was our most accomplished performer and Stearman proved once again why Levein was quite right to avoid playing him in the centre. His positional play improved but was shockingly naive early on and he rather sold himself for their second.

The importance of this game cannot now be understated. If Kelly learns from this he will bring in Hammond against Burnley and press the game. If we keep the status quo it will play into Cotterill's hands and they are likely to wander away with three points from us once again. This is a tough division and although expectations are rightly realistic, we must put in more determined and imaginative performances if we are to establish ourselves.

How hum......I only hope one of the so called favourtites gets turned over later on to at least give me something to compensate for my current malaise!

By the way, this is my first post for near on a year having been travelling - its great to be back and sorry that my first post in such an age has to be so negative!

First things first, this is day one, so lets not all over-react and commence the forecasts of impending doom. However, in my opinion we made life far too easy for Luton today by having no outlet, no significant threat other than the front two to worry the Luton backline. Newell knew full well that by eliminating the threat of Fryatt and Hume he basically nullified our attack. Maybury does not reach the byline enough for a supposed right-winger and Tiatto is constantly looking to dive into his favoured position in the centre.

This can work in theory if you have the players to use the space, but neither Stearman nor Johansson are wing-backs per se and Nils is never going to threaten down that flank. Hammond should have started for Tiatto (who I personally would not like to see take the blame for the performance) and we desperately need to recruit a left-back. Nils is too easy to drift past (lacking the crucial component of pace in that position) so bascially we have no threat down either flank - particularly the left. Sheehan is not the answer yet as has been proven in pre-season.

We are not going to pull up trees but I must say I agree with the astute comments of Thracian, this is our opportunity to blood some young players and ensure a positive results from the season. Worryingly, Johnson looked very much like an Adams buy today - biding his time in the lower leagues until retirement. We need more O'Grady's who have every motivation to perform this season and establish themselves long-term. Another worry was the seeming lack of communciation at the back - Kenton was our most accomplished performer and Stearman proved once again why Levein was quite right to avoid playing him in the centre. His positional play improved but was shockingly naive early on and he rather sold himself for their second.

The importance of this game cannot now be understated. If Kelly learns from this he will bring in Hammond against Burnley and press the game. If we keep the status quo it will play into Cotterill's hands and they are likely to wander away with three points from us once again. This is a tough division and although expectations are rightly realistic, we must put in more determined and imaginative performances if we are to establish ourselves.

How hum......I only hope one of the so called favourtites gets turned over later on to at least give me something to compensate for my current malaise!

By the way, this is my first post for near on a year having been travelling - its great to be back and sorry

that my first post in such an age has to be so negative!

Some excellent points and you might be right about Sheehan but it's time to find out because the alternatives will take us nowhere.

Send him out with confidence and get him playing like the Academy Player of the Season he was and you may, I only say may, think differently.

He's not the finished article by a way but he's better than what we have and links defence to attack naturally. I said last week that, in my view, he's been trying too hard. getting wound up, wanting to impress.

Sheehan believes he should have the left back berth but is misguided in how he's going about getting it.

He's been trying to be what he's not. He should stay calm, thoughtful and try to be as quick as he can.

But in attack, he's an improvement on anyone I've seen there as yet for City, but he really needs someone believing in him and saying exactly what they expect.

He doesn't have to be great to be in our team right now, or for some time.

In an ideal world I'd favour our young contenders being introduced gently from the bench but our faults needs rectifying pdq.

Who else is going to link defence and attack on the left?

We may aswell give sheehan a chance, at least he's commited and can attack.

Same goes for the likes of Porter and Dodds, we should also make more use of Low and (dare i say) Sylla we need a proper midfeild player on the right (Maybury's a defender for gd's sake!) and might i suggest throwing Chambers out at some stage?

We need to get Sheehan up to scratch quickly. We're crying out for a natural LB , No matter what people say Johansson is not a good LB :(

I thought Nils was lousy today. I lost count of times that he lost his marker at set peices - luckily we were only punished once because of it!

Same goes for the likes of Porter and Dodds, we should also make more use of Low and (dare i say) Sylla we need a proper midfeild player on the right (Maybury's a defender for gd's sake!) and might i suggest throwing Chambers out at some stage?

Judging by the performance I saw at Hinckley, friendly I know, I wouldn't put too much faith in Low providing much.

It has gone very quiet on the Chambers front, anyone know what is happening ?

Judging by the performance I saw at Hinckley, friendly I know, I wouldn't put too much faith in Low providing much.

It has gone very quiet on the Chambers front, anyone know what is happening ?

Dont' know about chambers i suppose we're still "developing" him but he's got to emerge sooner or later or some other team will take a punt on him.

I dont rate Low too highly, but we need a proper midfeilder on the right and Maybury's limitations are pretty obvious... the only other choice is Sylla or Hughes/Wesowski(out of position)... :blink:

Archived