Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Williams

Tsk. You should take responsibility for when you talk bollocks, not claim it is the listener's problem.

Who are you to stick your oar in, if everyone had the same opinion there would be no point in answering the question.

Next time you post you might take a more grown up approach.

Who are you to stick your oar in, if everyone had the same opinion there would be no point in answering the question.

Next time you post you might take a more grown up approach.

If it falls to me to wield the sword of truth and trusty shield of fair play, then so be it. And to wear my dad's pants on my head, just so I look grown up.

I'm with Ricey. I cannot make my mind up. He seems to be shooting more now and was one of our better players in an awful overall performance at Luton. I'd like to see him in a properly balanced attack-capable side before I could be sure - if I could ever be sure.

If it falls to me to wield the sword of truth and trusty shield of fair play, then so be it. And to wear my dad's pants on my head, just so I look grown up.

So you'll not only sound like an idiot but look like one as well.

Moving back onto topic, clearly Williams is an infuriating talent. But I'm convinced wholesale chopping and changing of the team everytime we lose will not help. If I was the gaffer, in my mind, I'd say to myself, and to Williams, you're the man for the next six games. I won't drop you. After six games we'll take a look at it and see how you've done. I'll either give you six more games, or I'll give Hughes six games.

My problem with Williams as an attacking midfielder in a 4-4-2 is that he hasn't got the pace or application to support the strikers and win knockdowns or get on the end of crosses. He chooses to swan about in front of the defence trying to play killer passes then people wonder why Fryatt and Hume have no support. Tiatto and Maybury aren't attack-minded enough to be the support and Williams is usually chosen alongside a grafter because he works as hard as Tara Palmer-Tomkinson. If you're going to play him, you need two alongside him. One to graft and one to get forward and support the attack. If anything, the reason he looked decent under Kelly at the end of last season was because he played alongside Joey who isn't afraid to get his foot in and do the dirty work but also got up and supported the attack, leaving Williams free to just look pretty and spray 40-yard balls from one side of the pitch to the other. Luxury player in a team that needs two reliable and effective 90-minute central midfielders.

My problem with Williams as an attacking midfielder in a 4-4-2 is that he hasn't got the pace or application to support the strikers and win knockdowns or get on the end of crosses. He chooses to swan about in front of the defence trying to play killer passes then people wonder why Fryatt and Hume have no support. Tiatto and Maybury aren't attack-minded enough to be the support and Williams is usually chosen alongside a grafter because he works as hard as Tara Palmer-Tomkinson. If you're going to play him, you need two alongside him. One to graft and one to get forward and support the attack. If anything, the reason he looked decent under Kelly at the end of last season was because he played alongside Joey who isn't afraid to get his foot in and do the dirty work but also got up and supported the attack, leaving Williams free to just look pretty and spray 40-yard balls from one side of the pitch to the other. Luxury player in a team that needs two reliable and effective 90-minute central midfielders.

Excellent assessment. Which is why I much prefer Porter.

He may be small like David Batty or Alan Ball but Porter has a great engine, excellent ball control, plays far more penetrative passes in a match than I've ever seen from Williams, supports people closely, gets his head up early and makes a useful contribution in various areas of the field. He makes goals regularly and seems really popular among his team-mates (not vital but it helps).

And the only criticisms I've heard about him are nothing to do with his football. He's too small and will not cope with the tackling.

Truth is Levi's coped for years. What you won't get is his winning headers. Which should encourage the ball being played to him on the ground, another plus.

My only concern is that he may take a game or two to settle. When I first saw him play midfield he was really awful. After that he was a revelation, a real midfield general spraying his passes left, right and through the middle. Furthermore he almost always plays his passes along the ground, perfect for our less-than-beanpole strikers.

It's hard to play in a game where your right back and left back bomb the ball forward to two 5 ft strikers from the kick off. I think Patrick Viera could have been playing for us and he'd have just gave up and sat down in the centre circle. When he did have the ball he looked clever and our only glimer of hope of making a decent pass, quality free kick too. Like i said tin the thread about de vries maybe leaving, some people want a couple of our players to fail and criticise them whatever.

co sign.we take williams out the game from launching it up to hume and fryatt.we should get the ball to williams and then he can play the ball that hume and fryatt thrive off and there is a good chance that they are going to out the ball in the back of the net.

co sign.we take williams out the game from launching it up to hume and fryatt.we should get the ball to williams and then he can play the ball that hume and fryatt thrive off and there is a good chance that they are going to out the ball in the back of the net.

That's all well and good but the team need to play higher up the pitch as a whole and Williams in particular needs to get nearer the penalty area so that the balls he plays to Fryatt and Hume turn the defence around instead of being fired into them from 30 yards away so they have their backs to goal with no support, having to engineer themselves a chance every time. If one of them is off form like Hume was against Luton, the other is practically having to do everything himself.

He does look promising from time to time, but overall he looks a bit lazy to me, which makes it incredibly frustrating when he's on the ball and you're thinking DO SOMETHING - YOU'VE GOT THE ABILITY, but he just doesn't seem to put the effort in.

It's not saying much but if Williams wasn't in the side goalscoring chances would probably be less than they are now.

Definetly and the main thing which was lacking on Saturday was creativity and he's a creative player so we need to use him to the full if we want chances.

Definetly and the main thing which was lacking on Saturday was creativity and he's a creative player so we need to use him to the full if we want chances.

So he's a creative player, I don't deny he has it in him, yet we lacked creativity and he was playing so doesn't logic indicate that he isn't actually creating that much.

Archived