Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Williams

One of the callers on the moan in stated that he never wanted to see Williams in a city shirt againand that he was a sad excuse for a footballer(or words to that effect)

Who agree's?

Personally I'd give him 8-10 games and if there's no improvement he's needs to be dropped(preferably from a great height)

He had an ok game on saturday but let's be honest he's better than that, I know he was bypassed for much of the game but he needs to bring himself into the game and not wait for the ball to come to him, this could be said of most of the team on Saturday though!

It's hard to play in a game where your right back and left back bomb the ball forward to two 5 ft strikers from the kick off. I think Patrick Viera could have been playing for us and he'd have just gave up and sat down in the centre circle. When he did have the ball he looked clever and our only glimer of hope of making a decent pass, quality free kick too. Like i said tin the thread about de vries maybe leaving, some people want a couple of our players to fail and criticise them whatever.

I thnk he's quite a decent player and worth giving more of a chance this season, no one (except mabey Kenton) had a brilliant game on Saterday and Williams could be a good player for us esspecially during set-peices.

It's hard to play in a game where your right back and left back bomb the ball forward to two 5 ft strikers from the kick off. I think Patrick Viera could have been playing for us and he'd have just gave up and sat down in the centre circle. When he did have the ball he looked clever and our only glimer of hope of making a decent pass, quality free kick too. Like i said tin the thread about de vries maybe leaving, some people want a couple of our players to fail and criticise them whatever.

I agree to a certain extent but why if he knew the ball was going to be hoofed up to the strikers didn't he push himself upfield?

Our only two chances came from him yesterday. He delivered the corner for McCarthy to head onto the top of the bar, then his free kick was pushed onto the bar.

He's better than that performance though for sure, but that goes for every other player. We're not helping him playing in such a negative way. Usually the only options he has when he does receive the ball is the killer pass, which he can sometimes pull off. But with the team set up like it is it'll have to be a 30 yard killer pass. :pinch:

We can't seem to get from back to front without a hoof, blame Kelly for setting the side up this way.

I agree to a certain extent but why if he knew the ball was going to be hoofed up to the strikers didn't he push himself upfield?

That is down to Kelly though is it not? The obvious comeback to that is to say no williams does whatever he wants he should be clever enough to do that without being told. But that's why you have a manager, they sort the formation, where you are, where you go etc, if williams hasn't been told to push on, then pushes on and we get caught short at the back, he'll get bollocked for not defending....he seemed to be the only player who under pressure, wanted to 'play' his way out of trouble instead of just hoofing the ball. I really can't believe people single him out of games when there are is a lot worse around him.

Our only two chances came from him yesterday. He delivered the corner for McCarthy to head onto the top of the bar, then his free kick was pushed onto the bar.

He's better than that performance though for sure, but that goes for every other player. We're not helping him playing in such a negative way. Usually the only options he has when he does receive the ball is the killer pass, which he can sometimes pull off. But with the team set up like it is it'll have to be a 30 yard killer pass. :pinch:

We can't seem to get from back to front without a hoof, blame Kelly for setting the side up this way.

I like the guy and hope he does well, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

In days gone by we wouldn't have been happy with Robbie Savage or Muzzy Izzet putting in performances like that why should we put up with it now.

I know they were better players then him but it's all relative.

its hard to be involved in a game if the ball is going from the defence to attack and not including the midfield and if you do make yourself involve (ie. by dropping deep into defence or pushing too far forward to attack) then people will moan hes out of position so theres nothing he could have done about it. for williams to be effective we need to keep the ball and pass it around going through williams as much as possible

its hard to be involved in a game if the ball is going from the defence to attack and not including the midfield and if you do make yourself involve (ie. by dropping deep into defence or pushing too far forward to attack) then people will moan hes out of position so theres nothing he could have done about it. for williams to be effective we need to keep the ball and pass it around going through williams as much as possible

Didn't we do that last season to zero effect :unsure:

It's slightly worrying how he's seen off so many managers in his career, both here and at Forest.

He will show occasional glimpses of talent, as he did on Saturday, but he should really be producing a lot more.

Look how many games Muzzy dominated during our last promotion season. With proper management, support and application Williams could and should be looking to do likewise.

At least this season if he again fails to deliver, we have the option of replacing him with Stephen Hughes.

It's slightly worrying how he's seen off so many managers in his career, both here and at Forest.

He will show occasional glimpses of talent, as he did on Saturday, but he should really be producing a lot more.

Look how many games Muzzy dominated during our last promotion season. With proper management, support and application Williams could and should be looking to do likewise.

At least this season if he again fails to deliver, we have the option of replacing him with Stephen Hughes.

You said it.

People have been making these excuses for 2 years now, he had chances under MA, he had chances under CL, he's had chances under RK, before us he had chances at Forest and only showed any real application when his contract was due to expire and then jumped ship to us for more money.

The guy is awash with talent compared to most of our team over the last two years but it's a wasted talent. He just doesn't cut the mustard and before anyone says about his tackling thats not what I mean. The guy simple hides away during matches, watch him for 15 minutes he spends his time looking for an oppo player to stand next to so that he's not available to receive the ball. When he passes the ball he's not interested in getting it back the guys so laid back, it's like he's fallen asleep standing up.

Classy midfielders have always been my favourite players, Davie Gibson, Keith Weller, Gary Parker, Muzzy Izzett et al, Williams could be in that set from a talent perspective but his application is the worst I've seen in a player.

I believe we cannot afford the luxury of a part time pete on the pitch, he's had his chances and he wouldn't be in any team I selected.

People have been making these excuses for 2 years now, he had chances under MA, he had chances under CL, he's had chances under RK, before us he had chances at Forest and only showed any real application when his contract was due to expire and then jumped ship to us for more money.

The guy is awash with talent compared to most of our team over the last two years but it's a wasted talent. He just doesn't cut the mustard and before anyone says about his tackling thats not what I mean. The guy simple hides away during matches, watch him for 15 minutes he spends his time looking for an oppo player to stand next to so that he's not available to receive the ball. When he passes the ball he's not interested in getting it back the guys so laid back, it's like he's fallen asleep standing up.

Classy midfielders have always been my favourite players, Davie Gibson, Keith Weller, Gary Parker, Muzzy Izzett et al, Williams could be in that set from a talent perspective but his application is the worst I've seen in a player.

I believe we cannot afford the luxury of a part time pete on the pitch, he's had his chances and he wouldn't be in any team I selected.

Fair enough if we had the money to replace him with but we dont. He is one of our best technically gifted footballers, fact. I bet you were one of the first to have a pop at Kelly for his negative team selection, and so if you drop Williams how is this going to make us more creative? We need to play to his strengths, which is carpet football. If that free kick on sat had gone in then everyone would be saying what a great game he had and what a good player he is.

With Williams you don't know what you're going to get he was far from the worst performer on saturday. He and Johnson are certainly the best cm partnership until Weso returns and when he does i'd like to see all three of them

I thought Williams was the best player on the pitch in the first half against Luton (not saying much though is it?). The problem with him is that he tends to disappear as the game goes on. I doubt even he could explain why this is but I feel its going to be a make or break season for him with us. Maybe he would be better in the premiership where he has more time on the ball without fear of being clattered and can pick out that good pass forward?

My opinion on Williams constantly changes.

Sometimes I want to play Williams for a long period as I think he plays better when he has been in the side for awhile. On the other hand he can be a waste of space so I want him out the side, I also think Hughes is a better play 'most' of the time.

So who knows, I'd personally give him at least 5 games to see how he does.

To be honest i'm surprised this thread is on Williams and how much time he has it could be Stearman, Nills Eric, Tiatto, maybury and even Hume after O'grady came on and did more than him in 15 mins than Humey did in 60 mins

He is a sand dancing jessie who looks good in training, which is the most frustrating thing.

As davieG says he's had chance after chance and he has never put in a consistent level of performance (other than mediocre - poor).

Fair enough if we had the money to replace him with but we dont. He is one of our best technically gifted footballers, fact. I bet you were one of the first to have a pop at Kelly for his negative team selection, and so if you drop Williams how is this going to make us more creative? We need to play to his strengths, which is carpet football. If that free kick on sat had gone in then everyone would be saying what a great game he had and what a good player he is.

Whether I did or not has no bearing on my opinion of Williams, did I not say "The guy is awash with talent compared to most of our team over the last two years" but if he doesn't use it he's no good to us. If he'd have scored from that free kick it would not have altered my opinion of him because it would not make up for all the times he's disappeared from games.

I sincerely don't believe the creative contribution he makes is sufficient to justify his place in the team.

Someone asked a question I answered it honestly if you don't like my answer frankly that's your problem not mine.

Someone asked a question I answered it honestly if you don't like my answer frankly that's your problem not mine.

Tsk. You should take responsibility for when you talk bollocks, not claim it is the listener's problem.

Archived