Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Injuries

James Wesolowski and Stephen Hughes have dead legs,

Is this really a match threatening injury? :rolleyes:

No, seriously. Does someone with the requisite medical knowledge have the time to tell me how a dead leg is ever bad enough to not play a game of football? JHC!

No, seriously. Does someone with the requisite medical knowledge have the time to tell me how a dead leg is ever bad enough to not play a game of football? JHC!

we used to give them out like free match tickets at playtime when I was a kid, we were usually fine by hometime :rolleyes:

_40843996_dead_leg.gif

source: Dead Legs (BBC website)

A dead leg is caused when the quadriceps are struck with sufficient force to cause the muscle be crushed against the femur, and, as a result of this collision, tear.

As the quadriceps are frequently used (my note: in football), it is difficult for the muscle fibres to knit, therefore meaning that a high-impact collision can cause the casualty to be injured for several weeks.

source:

Jintao at: http://worldcuptoday.blogspot.com/2005/10/...leg-anyway.html

That's nonsense (obviously not medically :whistle: ) - normally with a dead leg, although it hurts, we're told to run it off, shut up and get on with it... These lot call themselves men!!! :angry:

Yeah, it seems that many people have commented on that.

It seems that kiddies' dead legs are less painful and possibly totally different

(for instance, children's bones are not the same as adult bones)

Yeah, it seems that many people have commented on that.

It seems that kiddies' dead legs are less painful and possibly totally different

(for instance, children's bones are not the same as adult bones)

lol dead legs hurt a lot more when you're older, especially ones sustained playing footy or ruggers, and quite often they take longer to get rid of, but it's still no excuse (considering the level of medical-help and overall muscle strength of these players) to prevent them from playing.

lol dead legs hurt a lot more when you're older, especially ones sustained playing footy or ruggers, and quite often they take longer to get rid of, but it's still no excuse (considering the level of medical-help and overall muscle strength of these players) to prevent them from playing.

well, we don't know that.

Also, perhaps it's more of a preventative measure.

well, we don't know that.

Also, perhaps it's more of a preventative measure.

I guess we don't know 100%, but from playing myself and knowing many many other males that play, it prevents you giving 100% but doesn't prevent you going at a high level still (80% upwards). Cramp is worse :thumbup:

I guess we don't know 100%, but from playing myself and knowing many many other males that play, it prevents you giving 100% but doesn't prevent you going at a high level still (80% upwards). Cramp is worse :thumbup:

What age bracket are we talking about?

And fitness levels?

My feeling is that once you get a muscle tear (as professional footballers will undoubtedly suffer many times in their career), you tend to tear more in the future, as the previously-torn area (scar tissue) will be less elastic and surrounding areas will be more prone to injury themselves.

So I am not sure you can really make a direct comparison ...

What age bracket are we talking about?

And fitness levels?

My feeling is that once you get a muscle tear (as professional footballers will undoubtedly suffer many times in their career), you tend to tear more in the future, as the previously-torn area (scar tissue) will be less elastic and surrounding areas will be more prone to injury themselves.

So I am not sure you can really make a direct comparison ...

If you can't make a comparison, then the age bracket doesn't matter lol:P

Don't know what they feel like for pro footballers who've suffered muscle tears, as I haven't suffered too many dead legs after tearing something

I don't buy it Cis, I still reckon they're woosie's for crying off with a dead leg. :angry:

Just imagine how long they'd be off if they got a Chinese Burn?! ;)

Can you now explain how my wife can go through labour and then go to work the next morning whereas I find it hard to leave the bed when I have a cold :D

I don't buy it Cis, I still reckon they're woosie's for crying off with a dead leg. :angry:

Just imagine how long they'd be off if they got a Chinese Burn?! ;)

Can you now explain how my wife can go through labour and then go to work the next morning whereas I find it hard to leave the bed when I have a cold :D

It can be for no other reason than the deadly "man-flu" taking maximum effect on you and incapacitating your body for the entire duration you have it :P;):ph34r:

Don't know whether this was a dead-leg or something else but I did very little exercise for a month following an operation and in my first PE lesson back, I went for a 100 metre sprint at full pelt. I literally crumpled in a heap on the ground. One of the worst pains I've ever had. I couldn't lift my leg properly for about a month after that happened and couldn't kick a football with any force for a long time. Even though it doesn't sound like a dead-leg according to that article, I was lead to believe that was what it was at the time. If that was a dead-leg then I can understand why it can keep footballers out.

Don't know whether this was a dead-leg or something else but I did very little exercise for a month following an operation and in my first PE lesson back, I went for a 100 metre sprint at full pelt. I literally crumpled in a heap on the ground. One of the worst pains I've ever had. I couldn't lift my leg properly for about a month after that happened and couldn't kick a football with any force for a long time. Even though it doesn't sound like a dead-leg according to that article, I was lead to believe that was what it was at the time. If that was a dead-leg then I can understand why it can keep footballers out.

I could understand that being a muscle tear and not a dead leg, as you hadn't done anything for over a month and suffered a deterioration in size and strength of the muscles in your leg, so when you tried to go full-pelt straight away, whereas you're meant to gradually ease back into it.

I could understand that being a muscle tear and not a dead leg, as you hadn't done anything for over a month and suffered a deterioration in size and strength of the muscles in your leg, so when you tried to go full-pelt straight away, whereas you're meant to gradually ease back into it.

I'd been playing football but not doing a lot of running as I'd been told not to do anything during the month. Whatever it was, it hurt. If it was a tear I can't believe I tried to carry on playing football with it for so long!

I'd been playing football but not doing a lot of running as I'd been told not to do anything during the month. Whatever it was, it hurt. If it was a tear I can't believe I tried to carry on playing football with it for so long!

If it was a tear, I can't believe you'd actually consider doing anything physical lol, as they are immensely painful and are enough to put grown men out of action for weeks/months as well. Maybe you'd need a medical opinion or a physio opinion on what it was, but my guess would be a tear :rolleyes::cool:

If it was a tear I can't believe I tried to carry on playing football with it for so long!

It was a dead leg if:

• You and your mates had been cracking on about some girl
  • You called one of your mates a total w*nker
  • Your mate punched you on the leg
  • Twice
  • Dead hard
  • and then you said 'Ooh ya ****ing b*stard!'

:thumbup:

Archived