Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Young'uns beat Coventry

Youngsters Edge Thriller

0,,10274~2995179,00.jpg

Leicester City's under 18 side made it eight wins from nine games with an astonishing 5-4 victory at Coventry City on Saturday afternoon.

The Foxes had gone into the match with a five-point lead at the top of the FA Premier Academy Group B table - having amassed an impressive 22 points from their opening nine games of the campaign.

And goals from Eric Odihambo (2), Billy McKay (2) and Andy King (pictured) ensured that gap at the top remained intact.

A brace from Odihambo had given the Foxes a 2-0 lead going into half-time, but the home side fought back at the start of the second period and drew the game level.

McKay made it 3-2 - only to see Coventry equalise again.

Then King thought he'd won it only for Coventry to make it 4-4 going into the closing stages.

But Leicester were not to be denied - and Billy McKay was on hand to grab the winner for the Foxes in injury time.

Academy Manager Jon Rudkin said: "We got ourselves into a terrific position at 2-0 and in all fairness we had chances to increase that scoreline.

"Coventry started the second half brightly and pulled it back, but we continued to attack.

"It was a thoroughly entertaining match and we were worthy winners in the end."

Leicester: Pentney, Magunda, Lycett, Garner, Rowe-Turner, Chambers (Rochester), King, Tejan-Si (Howard), Beswick (Tuttle), McKay, Odihambo.

Red Card: Scott Garner (two yellows)

Source: LCFC OS

Goals from TPH's favourite youngster, a couple from Billy McKay and one from Andy King.

The usual suspects, less Max Gradel. ;)

Sounds like a good win to the juniors... nicely done guys and great to see the Leicester spirit shining through with the side getting up in a tough encounter with Coventry... :)

I was just wondering about Chambers too. Loads of goals flying in for the academy but he doesn't seem to have been scoring like he was. Has he been out at all?

A great run they're on though - bodes well for th future and I'd love to see some of these guys breaking through in a year or two.

I was just wondering about Chambers too. Loads of goals flying in for the academy but he doesn't seem to have been scoring like he was. Has he been out at all?

A great run they're on though - bodes well for th future and I'd love to see some of these guys breaking through in a year or two.

I think he's been absent from the team a bit for non-playing reasons, and with McKay and Odihambo both scoring almost every game, Chambers has been demoted to 3rd choice striker I presume.

Gradel dropped completely then. I'm guessing it was due to his attitude. Did anyone go see them? In that case how was Chambers (assume he was playing right winger)?

Can't imagine that for one minute. He worked extremely hard in the previous game. Played throughout and scored a cracking goal. His attitude was fine, first class.

ehmm :ph34r::whistle::P

Sounds like a game that would have been worth watching! :)

They are always worth watching. Beaglehole's teams always go for a win. They give it everything they've got instead of forever having one eye on the possibility of defeat like City again today.

Gradel dropped completely then. I'm guessing it was due to his attitude. Did anyone go see them? In that case how was Chambers (assume he was playing right winger)?

Perhaps he's lined up for a bit of bench warming on tuesday - is Welsh Cuptied?

He's not cuptied.

Sunderland won't want him cuptied, though, I'm sure.

He hasn't played at all for Sunderland this season. ;)

surprising really considering when he gets on the ball he looks a real threat. When he actually puts a cross into the box :rolleyes:

I think Gradel was probably in the stands watching the first team. With the amount of injuries we've had over the last week it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Kelly had kept him as standby just in case players like Wesolowski couldn't make the bench this afternoon. We all know what can happen to players during the pre-match warm-up. Anyway, it gave Chambers a chance to start an under 18 match which will have done him no harm at all I'm sure. The sending off of Garner will also give another defender a chance to show his worth too. Rowe-Turner got a chance because of Mattock's suspension this weekend.

Another good result for the Academy even though we seem to be conceding a few too many goals than would be liked over the last couple of games.

Perhaps he's lined up for a bit of bench warming on tuesday - is Welsh Cuptied?

He's not sup-tied and as Sunderland have been knocked out I think we'll be allowed to play him. I wonder why Porter wasn't on the bench on saturday, we have lots of injuries and yet still he's nowhere to be seen. Strange.

He's not sup-tied and as Sunderland have been knocked out I think we'll be allowed to play him. I wonder why Porter wasn't on the bench on saturday, we have lots of injuries and yet still he's nowhere to be seen. Strange.

I spoke to him in the counting house after the game, he seemed quite dejected. :(

I spoke to him in the counting house after the game, he seemed quite dejected. :(

I imagine Kelly's starting to get some real problems keeping people happy. Good performers are being left out of the first team while poor performers are playing. There's no regular reserve side to keep fringe first teamers, upward movers or the returning injured happy.

And, there is no obvious critertia for selection that seems consistent. It appears to be a recipe for disharmony sooner or later.

Gradel will doubtless feel there's no justice whatsoever. He scores more goals in a few months than Low will in his Championship life and doesn't even get a sniff on the bench...and therefore any chance to prove his point. And if he did he'd probably be out again with his first mistake or two while senior players continue to be indulged with as many mistakes as they like.

Same with Porter. Decent player ratings, perfectly consistent, retained possession well, created opportunites. Good results when he's played. Yet Low, Sylla, Maybury get a place in the squad - and an apparently threequarters fit loanee.

Porter must be insulted to see Maybury preferred as a potential midfielder and, like O'Grady, seems likely to play less football this season than last despite both being at one of the most important stages of their careers.

I just wonder how much of City's selection is down to internal politics and how much down to merit. Cos if merit is always the criteria then some squad choices simply don't add up or make sense from what I've watched.

I cannot understand why Porter has been completely dropped. I can see why he hasn't been in the starting line-up in the past 3 games because we are on a run, but before that when we were struggling he was one of our better peformers. He definitely deserves a place on the bench and has done well for us when he's come on late in games, much more useful than Sylla surely? Plus he can play in 3 positions

Archived